Connect with us

News

Gov. Buni Commiserates with Zulum Over Gusau

Published

on

Gov. Buni Commiserates with Zulum Over Gusau

By: Mamman Mohammed

Yobe state Governor, Hon. Mai Mala Buni CON has commiserated with his Borno state counterpart, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum, over the death of his spokesman, Malam Isa Gusau.

Buni described Gusau as a dedicated officer who served his principal with commitment and strong conviction.

“Gusau had professionally managed information at the peak of the security challenge in the Northeast and Borno state in particular.

“He will be remembered for his resilience, commitment to duty, and long years of diligent service to the governor and government of Borno state,” Governor Buni said.

“I condole His Excellency, my brother, Gov. Zulum, the government and people of Borno state over this sad loss at a time when his services are needed to support the government. ” Gov. Buni said.

Gov. Buni prayed to God to forgive his shortcomings and grant his family the fortitude to bear this sad loss.

Gusau served as Special Adviser on Media to Vice President Kashim Shettima when he was governor of Borno state and was inherited by Governor Zulum, whom he served for about five years.

Gov. Buni Commiserates with Zulum Over Gusau

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NHRC Raises Alarm Over Rising Rights Violations, Records 266,787 Complaints in One Month

Published

on

NHRC Raises Alarm Over Rising Rights Violations, Records 266,787 Complaints in One Month

By: Michael Mike

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has raised fresh concerns over worsening human rights conditions in Nigeria, revealing that it received a staggering 266,787 complaints nationwide in April 2026 amid rising insecurity, extra-judicial killings, economic hardship, communal violence, and growing threats to civic freedoms.

The alarming figures were disclosed on Monday in Abuja by the Executive Secretary of the commission, Tony Ojukwu, during the presentation of the April 2026 Human Rights Situation Dashboard and the signing of an Advisory on Protecting Civic Space and Human Rights.

The development comes as Nigeria continues to grapple with escalating security challenges, increasing reports of civilian casualties during military operations, kidnappings, mob violence, gender-based abuse, and persistent allegations of misconduct by law enforcement agencies.

Addressing diplomats, civil society groups, government representatives, development partners, and media stakeholders at the event, Ojukwu said the scale of complaints received by the commission reflects the harsh realities confronting millions of Nigerians daily.

According to him, the complaints cut across issues of discrimination, abuse of authority, insecurity, economic deprivation, and lack of access to justice.

“These complaints reflect the everyday realities faced by Nigerians and underscore the persistence of challenges relating to discrimination, insecurity, abuse of authority, economic hardship, and access to justice,” he said.

Beyond formal complaints lodged at NHRC offices nationwide, Ojukwu noted that the commission’s Human Rights Observatory also tracked broader patterns of abuse and rights violations during the period under review.

He said April 2026 witnessed continued incidents of violent attacks, kidnappings, communal clashes, displacement, gender-based violence, mob actions, and alleged human rights violations linked to security operations.

Of particular concern, according to the NHRC boss, was the recent military airstrike incident in Borno State which reportedly resulted in civilian casualties.

Although he did not specify the exact location of the incident, Ojukwu said the commission had already called for a “thorough, transparent, and independent investigation” in line with Nigeria’s constitutional and international human rights obligations.

The incident has triggered growing national debate over civilian protection during counter-insurgency operations in the North-East, where Nigerian security forces continue to battle insurgent groups and armed criminal networks.

“While recognizing the difficult security environment within which security agencies operate, the protection of civilian lives must remain paramount at all times,” Ojukwu stated.

“Respect for human rights and adherence to international humanitarian principles are essential components of effective security operations and democratic governance.”

The NHRC also expressed deep concern over what it described as a rising trend of extra-judicial killings allegedly involving law enforcement and security agencies.

According to Ojukwu, the commission’s observatory documented more than five cases of extra-judicial killings in April alone.

“Human life is sacred and cannot be taken away by trigger-happy officers of our law enforcement and security agencies,” he declared.

The commission, however, acknowledged recent steps taken by the Nigeria Police Force leadership, while calling for swift prosecution of implicated officers and compensation for affected families.

The presentation of the Human Rights Situation Dashboard formed part of the NHRC’s broader effort to institutionalise evidence-based monitoring and accountability since the initiative was introduced in 2024.

Analysts say the dashboard has increasingly become an important national accountability mechanism for identifying trends, monitoring rights abuses, and drawing attention to emerging threats across the country.

Alongside the dashboard presentation, the commission also signed an Advisory on Protecting Civic Space and Human Rights, a move stakeholders described as significant amid rising concerns over shrinking civic freedoms globally and within Nigeria.

Ojukwu warned that civic spaces around the world are coming under increasing pressure through restrictions on freedom of expression, peaceful assembly, media operations, association, and citizen participation.

He explained that the advisory, developed through consultations with civil society groups and development partners, provides practical guidance for safeguarding constitutional freedoms and democratic participation.

“A vibrant civic space remains essential to democracy, accountability, peace-building, and national development,” he said.

The commission specifically acknowledged the contributions of the Nigerian Network of Non-Governmental Organizations and the Heinrich Böll Foundation in supporting the initiative.

Human rights observers say the NHRC’s latest report underscores growing concerns over the intersection of insecurity, economic pressures, weak law enforcement accountability, and democratic tensions in Nigeria.

Over the past decade, rights groups have repeatedly raised alarm over allegations of unlawful killings, arbitrary arrests, torture, restrictions on protests, and abuses linked to counter-terrorism operations.

The NHRC boss stressed that every complaint received by the commission represents a citizen seeking dignity, justice, and protection, insisting that the commission would continue to strengthen accountability mechanisms, expand access to justice, and deepen civic engagement through collaboration with stakeholders.

“We remain committed to strengthening accountability, expanding access to justice, deepening civic engagement, and advancing evidence-based human rights interventions,” Ojukwu said.

He called on government institutions, security agencies, civil society organisations, and development partners to intensify support for the protection of human dignity and democratic values across the country.

NHRC Raises Alarm Over Rising Rights Violations, Records 266,787 Complaints in One Month

Continue Reading

News

Alleged Cybercrime: Court Grants ‘Justice Crack’ ₦5m Bail as DSS Opens Case With Digital Evidence

Published

on

Alleged Cybercrime: Court Grants ‘Justice Crack’ ₦5m Bail as DSS Opens Case With Digital Evidence

By: Michael Mike

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Monday granted bail to social media commentator, Justice Chidiebere, popularly known online as “Justice Crack,” in the sum of ₦5 million over allegations bordering on cybercrime and the dissemination of controversial military-related content on social media.

The bail was secured by the defendant’s new counsel, Sam Amadi, who also commended the treatment of his client while in the custody of the Department of State Services.

Trial judge, Joyce Abdulmalik, granted the bail application with stringent conditions and adjourned the matter until May 25 for continuation of trial.

Under the conditions outlined by the court, the defendant must provide one surety in like sum who must reside within the court’s jurisdiction at a verifiable address for at least four years.

The court further directed that the surety must submit proof of residence through either a tenancy agreement or Certificate of Occupancy to the court registry.

In addition, the surety must be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 15, provide evidence of at least three months’ salary payments, present authentication from the immediate head of department, and show proof of pensionable employment.

The surety is also expected to depose to an affidavit of means and submit a recent passport photograph.

Justice Abdulmalik further ordered the defendant to deposit his international passport with the court pending the determination of the case.

Earlier during proceedings, prosecution counsel, M. L. Aboye, informed the court that the prosecution was prepared to proceed with trial and subsequently called its first witness, identified as Oronto Douglas, a DSS operative.

Testifying before the court, the witness said he became involved in the matter during investigations after his transfer from the Nigerian Army Intelligence Corps to the DSS.

According to the witness, the defendant voluntarily made an extra-judicial statement in the presence of legal aid lawyers.

The DSS operative alleged that some soldiers had sent photographs to the defendant, who then allegedly converted the images into videos and published them online without first verifying their authenticity with military authorities.

The witness further told the court that investigators carried out a forensic examination of the defendant’s mobile phone and extracted several materials allegedly linked to the case.

The materials, according to him, included videos purportedly uploaded to social media platforms, conversations between the defendant and some soldiers, chats involving discussions about protests with an individual described as his “godfather,” as well as extracts from the defendant’s social media accounts.

He added that a certificate of compliance was issued and signed by a superior officer after completion of the forensic analysis.

However, during proceedings, defence counsel Sam Amadi informed the court that the defence team had not been served with the investigation report and other documentary evidence the prosecution intended to tender.

Responding, the prosecution described the omission as an oversight and apologised to the court.

Justice Abdulmalik subsequently admitted the DSS investigation report as Exhibit A.

The prosecution also tendered an iPhone allegedly recovered from the defendant, a flash drive said to contain videos posted online, extracted conversations from the device, and the accompanying certificate of compliance.

The defence, however, objected to the admissibility of the flash drive, arguing that its contents had neither been properly described nor played in open court for verification and evaluation.

The objection is expected to form part of issues for determination as the trial progresses.

The case has continued to generate attention within legal and civil society circles amid growing debates over cybercrime prosecutions, digital expression, and the use of online platforms for political and security-related commentary in Nigeria.

As of the time of filing this report, counsel previously associated with the matter, including lawyer to activist Omoyele Sowore, Marshall Abubakar, was absent during the court proceedings.

Alleged Cybercrime: Court Grants ‘Justice Crack’ ₦5m Bail as DSS Opens Case With Digital Evidence

Continue Reading

News

Zulum Appoints Acting Chief of Staff, Assigns Portfolios to New Commissioners

Published

on

Zulum Appoints Acting Chief of Staff, Assigns Portfolios to New Commissioners

By: Michael Mike

Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has approved the appointment of Engr. Dr. Babagana Mustapha Mallumbe as the Acting Chief of Staff to the Governor as part of efforts to strengthen governance and accelerate policy implementation in the state.

A statement signed by the Secretary to the Borno State Government, Bukar Tijani, said Dr. Mallumbe, who previously served as Deputy Chief of Staff (DCOS I) to the Governor, would assume the new role with immediate effect.

The governor also approved the posting and allocation of portfolios to the 10 newly sworn-in commissioners, describing the move as part of broader efforts to enhance service delivery and drive the implementation of the administration’s 25-year Development Plan and 10-year Strategic Transformation Initiatives.

According to the statement, Barrister Hauwa Abubakar was appointed Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, while Hon. Bukar Mustapha Dalatu was assigned the Ministry of Budget and Planning.

Hon. Engr. Lawan Abba Wakilbe was posted to the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation, while Hon. Umar Lawan Dalorima will oversee the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development.

Professor Baba Mallam Gana was named Commissioner for Health and Human Services, while Professor Usman A. Tar was assigned the Ministry of Information and Internal Security.

The statement further indicated that Hon. Sugun Mai Mele will head the Ministry of Local Government and Emirate Affairs, while Hon. Aliyu Mohammed Lawan Buba was posted to the Ministry of Transport and Energy.

Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo was appointed Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, while Hon. Saina Buba will oversee the Ministry of Youths, Sports and Poverty Alleviation.

The government directed all the commissioners to assume duties in their respective ministries immediately.

The latest appointments come as the Zulum administration intensifies efforts to consolidate reforms in governance, infrastructure, education, healthcare, security coordination and economic recovery in the insurgency-affected state.

Zulum Appoints Acting Chief of Staff, Assigns Portfolios to New Commissioners

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights