Connect with us

News

Gov. Yahaya sympathises with NUJ as fire razes Gombe correspondents’ office

Published

on

Gov. Yahaya sympathises with NUJ as fire razes Gombe correspondents’ office

Gov. Yahaya sympathises with NUJ as fire razes Gombe correspondents’ office

Governor Inuwa Yahaya of Gombe State on Monday sympathised with journalists in the state over a fire incident that razed the office of Gombe Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ).

The Secretary to the Gombe State Government, Prof. Ibrahim Njodi, representing Yahaya, visited the office to assess the level of damage.

He stated that the government was concerned about the wellbeing, security and safety of journalists in the state, hence the visit to commiserate and identify with them over the fire incident.

The governor directed the executive of the NUJ to liaise with the Commissioner for Information and Culture, Mr Meshack Lauco, to see what could be done to assist the chapel.

“The correspondents’ chapel members are our partners; we have no choice than to keep them comfortable.

“Please take heart. For us as a government, we will do whatever we can to support you,” he said.

While appreciating the state government, Hajara Leman, the chairman of the Correspondents’ Chapel, expressed gratitude to the state government for its concern and offer for assistance.

“We are grateful for your presence here to commiserate with us,” the chairman said.

Leman, while briefing the governor earlier, had said the office had been previously burgled three times.

“Working tools, including office equipment like air conditioners, ceiling fans, stabilisers, two flat screen televisions, bus tyres and other valuables were stolen before this fire incident,” she said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that fire gutted the Correspondents’ Chapel in the early hours of Monday, which took men of the Gombe State Fire Service over two hours to put it out.

NAN also reports Lauco, the Director-General of Press Affairs, Gombe Government House, Ismaila Uba-Misilli and members of his team, including the state NUJ council chairman, Saidu Malala, were among those who visited the Correspondents’ Chapel.

Others are Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) chairperson in the state, Talatu Lamon, among other dignitaries.

Gov. Yahaya sympathises with NUJ as fire razes Gombe correspondents’ office

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Published

on

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

By: Michael Mike

The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) through the deployment of secure digital identity systems aimed at improving governance, enhancing national security, and expanding access to public services.

Speaking at a digital conference in Abuja themed “Building Africa’s Digital Foundations Together,” the Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of NIMC, Abisoye Coker-Odusote, represented by the Head of Infrastructure Technology and Identity Databases, Mr. Sulaiman Falade, said the commission is driving reforms and institutional partnerships to build an inclusive and interoperable digital identity ecosystem.

According to her, the National Identification Number (NIN) has become central to Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda, serving as a key tool for identity verification, biometric authentication, and access to both government and private sector services.

She noted that following the Presidential Directive issued on April 5, 2024, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) were mandated to integrate the NIN into digital services, particularly in areas involving data capture, identity verification, and authentication processes.

Coker-Odusote stated that NIMC has already established implementation structures to ensure compliance with the directive and to deepen the adoption of digital identity solutions across the country.

She further stressed that the Federal Government’s vision is to establish a unified, secure, and transparent digital identity framework capable of supporting efficient service delivery and accountability in governance.

The NIMC boss added that the commission is also advancing Nigeria’s broader digital governance goals through the deployment of the National Public Key Infrastructure (nPKI), a system designed to strengthen trust in digital transactions, safeguard citizens’ data, and promote secure online interactions.

She called on stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to continue supporting the implementation of Nigeria’s digital identity ecosystem, noting that the initiative is critical to national development and economic growth.

According to her, NIMC remains committed to leveraging technology and innovation to build a more connected, efficient, and resilient nation.

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Published

on

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

By: Michael Mike

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary election in Mafa Ward of Borno State, securing all valid votes cast in the exercise held in the home ward of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum.

The direct primary election took place at Mafa Central Primary School under the supervision of the Chairperson of the Presidential Primary Election Committee, Hajiya Inna Alkali Imam.

According to the results announced at the ward level, Tinubu polled 2,175 votes, representing 100 per cent of the valid votes cast during the exercise. Out of the 2,277 registered APC members in the ward, 2,175 were accredited and participated in the voting process.

Tinubu’s challenger, Stanley Osifo, an APC chieftain and businessman from Edo State, failed to secure any vote in the ward.

Governor Zulum, who served as the Coordinator and Collation Officer for the presidential primary in the state, said he participated in the exercise as an indigene of Mafa Ward.

“I am from Mafa Ward, and that is why I am here to witness and participate in the exercise. We have two candidates, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Mr Stanley Osifo,” Zulum stated.

The governor also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and the turnout of party members.

“So far so good, we have conducted the presidential primary election for Mafa Ward, and I am very impressed with the turnout. We have a total of about 2,277 registered party members in Mafa Ward, out of which 2,175 were accredited for the voting, and all of them voted for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while the other candidate scored zero,” he said.

The APC presidential primary is ongoing in several states across the country, with the party expected to collate and announce final nationwide results at a later date.

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Continue Reading

News

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Published

on

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

By: Our Reporter

The 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has recounted a touching childhood memory about former Nigerian Head of State Yakubu Gowon, portraying him as a compassionate leader who extended personal support to the family of a military officer killed during the 1966 coup.

Speaking during an interview on Signature TV, Sanusi reflected on his early years at St Anne’s Secondary School in Kaduna, where he attended school alongside Yusuf Pam, the son of the late Colonel Joseph Pam, one of the victims of the January 1966 Nigerian coup.

The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria recalled that despite the demands of national leadership, Gowon took a personal interest in the wellbeing of Yusuf following the loss of his father. According to Sanusi, the former Head of State frequently sent handwritten letters to the young boy, signing them “Uncle Joe.”

“What I remember at the age of eight was that General Gowon, as Head of State, would send a handwritten letter to Yusuf signed ‘Uncle Joe.’ That is a window into the person you are dealing with,” Sanusi said.

The Emir noted that the gesture has remained vivid in his memory over the years because it revealed a caring and humane side of leadership during one of the most turbulent periods in Nigeria’s history. He suggested that Gowon’s actions reflected empathy and a sense of responsibility toward families affected by the political upheaval of the time.

Colonel Pam was among several prominent figures who lost their lives during the 1966 coup, a pivotal event that reshaped Nigeria’s political landscape and contributed to years of instability and conflict that followed.

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights