News
Governor Buni Commends NEMA For Assisting Flood Victims in Yobe
Governor Buni Commends NEMA For Assisting Flood Victims in Yobe
By: Yahaya Wakili
Yobe state governor, Hon. Mai Mala Buni, has commended the efforts of the Federal Government through NEMA for coming up with the SNELEI Programme with the objective of bringing succor to the victims of the 2022 flood disaster in Yobe state.
Buni made the commendation while flagging off the distribution of items for the Special National Economic Livelihood Emergency Intervention (SNELEI) in Damaturu, the Yobe state capital.
He said the SNELEI Intervention is aimed at supporting the long-term recovery of Nigeria from the 2022 flood disaster, and the drive for the sustainable socio-economic recovery of the country from the current challenges of oil subsidy withdrawal and a high rate of inflation is timely.
“Yobe State witnessed one of the worst flood disasters in 2022, with about 39,000 households affected. 74 people died and 91 others were injured, and it was estimated that over 26,290.6 hectares of land in the state had extensive flooding from August to October 2022.
He revealed that the phase 1 SNELEI Intervention targets over 9000 beneficiaries out of the 24,640 registered victims across all the 17 local government areas of the state.
Governor Mai Mala Buni further calls on the beneficiaries to appreciate the fact that the government at all levels cares for their well-being, and as such, they should reciprocate such a kind gesture by putting the items to proper use and avoiding reselling them.
Speaking earlier, the Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mustapha Habib Ahmed, ably represented by Hajiya Bintu Aliyu, said the federal government approved this special intervention to assist vulnerable persons across the country and those affected by the flood to support their quick return to normalcy.
“A total of 660,884 households were verified and targeted to benefit from this special intervention across the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT).”
He thanked the Yobe state government, especially Yobe SEMA, for providing us with all the necessary support to accomplish this very important and timely intervention.
Governor Buni Commends NEMA For Assisting Flood Victims in Yobe
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
News
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
By: Zagazola Makama
A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.
Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.
The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.
Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.
The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.
Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.
The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.
Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
