Crime
Gunmen attack police divisional headquarters in Imo

Gunmen attack police divisional headquarters in Imo
Gunmen suspected to be members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network attacked the Obowo Divisional Police headquarters in Imo on Monday.
A police spokesman in Imo, CSP Michael Abattam, stated in Owerri that the assailants approached the station from an ungoverned forest at the rear.
He added that they threw petrol bombs and Improvised Explosive Devices that fell on the transit camp behind the station and on a parked vehicle.
“Police operatives and some of the Command’s Technical Teams engaged the hoodlums in a fierce gun duel preventing them from gaining entrance to the station.
READ ALSO: Senator Abubakar Kyari: The Expectations And Gains For APC
“In the process, they forced the hoodlums into retreating into the forest with various degrees of bullet wounds.
“The police operatives gave them a hot chase and while combing the bush, three undetonated explosives, four expended AK47 bullets and five live cartridges were recovered.
“Also recovered were 33 expended cartridges, two masks, one pump action gun and a motorised sawing machine,’’ Abattam stated.
He added that apart from the minimal damage to the transit camp and the vehicle, no life was lost.
He stated also that a police operative who sustained a minor gunshot injury had been treated.
The police spokesman added that Acting Commissioner of Police, DCP Maman Giwa, who visited the scene, commended the officers and men for repelling the attack.
Giwa appealed to Imo residents to continue to give the police timely and credible information about criminals and their activities and to report any person seen treating bullet wounds within the community to the nearest police station.
Meanwhile, a source in the community, who requested anonymity, said two persons were feared killed in the attack.
“The attack started around 2 a.m. and lasted for about three hours. We heard the sounds of various firearms and suspected dynamite during the attack.
“We do not know whether the assailants took away police weapons as they usually did,’’ he said.
Monday’s attack brought the number of police divisional headquarters attacked in Imo in March to four.
Earlier in the month, gunmen attacked Orsu, Oru East and Umuguma police divisional headquarters.
Crime
Police arrest fake soldier, recover firearms in Abuja

Police arrest fake soldier, recover firearms in Abuja
By: Zagazola Makama
The Police Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has arrested a 40-year-old man who allegedly posed as a soldier to deceive and extort unsuspecting members of the public in Abuja.
Sources said that the suspect, identified as Abdullahi Salisu of Military Pension Board area, was arrested on Monday evening by a police ambush team from Kubwa Division while on routine patrol at FO1, Kubwa.
“On a spot search, one locally made pistol with a cartridge was recovered in his possession.
“A further search conducted at his residence led to the recovery of another locally made gun, as well as clothing and tokens suspected to belong to a civilian JTF unit, which the suspect allegedly used in carrying out criminal activities,” said the sources.
The sources said suspect is currently in custody undergoing interrogation to ascertain his true identity and involvement in other crimes.
Police arrest fake soldier, recover firearms in Abuja
Crime
Eight hunters killed in bandits’ attack in Niger

Eight hunters killed in bandits’ attack in Niger
By: Zagazola Makama
At least eight hunters have been killed during an exchange of gunfire with armed bandits in Mariga Local Government Area of Niger.
It was gathered that the incident occurred when a large number of armed bandits invaded Hunyo/Sabon Wuri village in Dusai Mahoro District of Mariga and rustled an unspecified number of cattle.
Sources said the bandits, while attempting to escape with the stolen cattle, were intercepted by the hunters between Kakihum and Kumbashi villages.
“In the ensuing exchange of fire, eight of the hunters lost their lives. Their names and addresses are yet to be ascertained.
“Police Mobile Force operatives deployed in Bangi, the divisional patrol team, and local vigilantes led by the Divisional Police Officer moved swiftly to the scene. The corpses have since been evacuated to General Hospital, Bangi, for autopsy,” said the sources.
Eight hunters killed in bandits’ attack in Niger
Crime
Soldier shot dead by police inspector in Bauchi over illegal mining truck

Soldier shot dead by police inspector in Bauchi over illegal mining truck
By: Zagazola Makama
A soldier of the Nigerian Army has been shot dead by a mobile police inspector while intercepting a truck suspected to be conveying solid minerals from an illegal mining site in Futuk, Alkaleri Local Government Area of Bauchi State.
Zagazola Makama learnt that the incident occurred on Aug. 25 at about 7:50 p.m. when troops of 33 Artillery Brigade, Bauchi, stopped a truck with registration number Gombe 676 BLG at a checkpoint in Futuk village.
The truck driver was said to have refused to halt at the checkpoint, forcing the Guard Commander, Master Warrant Officer (MWO) Ali Haruna, to pursue the vehicle with his men on motorbikes until they intercepted it.
However, on halting the truck, a mobile police officer identified as Inspector Yusuf Ibrahim allegedly disembarked and opened fire on the Guard Commander, hitting him in the stomach.

The soldiers immediately overpowered the policeman and disarmed him, while the injured officer was rushed to the Gombe Specialist Hospital for urgent medical treatment. He later died from the gunshot wound.
Sources further disclosed that the truck driver escaped from the scene in the chaos that followed the shooting.
Preliminary findings revealed that the truck was conveying solid minerals suspected to have been extracted illegally from Yalo community, also in Alkaleri LGA. The police inspector was believed to have been on illegal escort duty for the truck.
“The reasons behind the refusal of the vehicle to stop at the checkpoint, the decision of a trained police officer to open fire on soldiers after interception, and the escape of the driver remain highly suspicious. Investigations are ongoing to unravel the circumstances behind the incident,” the sources stated.
The sources added that the involvement of security personnel in illegal mining operations remained a disturbing trend, stressing that the incident spotlight the need for urgent and independent investigations to address compromises within the security system.
Meanwhile, the Bauchi State Commissioner of Police has interfaced with the Commander, 33 Artillery Brigade, Brig.-Gen. U.J. Simon, to calm tensions and ensure proper handling of the case.
Zagazola learnt that the remains of the slain officer have been deposited at the hospital morgue while arrangements are ongoing for his burial in line with military tradition.
The suspect, Inspector Ibrahim, is currently in army custody, while the intercepted truck has been impounded for further investigation.
Soldier shot dead by police inspector in Bauchi over illegal mining truck
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
Opinions4 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS2 years ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions2 years ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics3 months ago
2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift