Connect with us

News

Host communities protest against Dangote company, demand compensation

Published

on

Host communities protest against Dangote company, demand compensation

Host communities protest against Dangote company, demand compensation 

The youths in host communities of Dangote cement, Obajana, have staged a peaceful protest accusing the company of negligence and exploitation without compensation.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the angry youths from Zariagi, Kabba junction and Obajana communities, held a peaceful protest on Tuesday at Kabba junction along Lokoja- Obajana road.

Speaking to newsmen during the protest, Abubakar Ahmed, the Youth Chairman, said Dangote had been exploiting their resources to the detriment of the host communities without given anything back in return.

”Our people are suffering, we are dying of pollution, no good healthcare and water facilities, no job, no youth and women empowerment programmes.

”Dangote trucks are killing our people and destroying our roads, we can no longer endure it; enough is enough of Dangote exploitation in Kogi.

He expressed their full support for Governor, Alh. Yahaya Bello and Kogi House of Assembly for their current action against Dangote, saying, ”Kogi youths are tired of Dangote Group exploitation in the state”.

He stated that a bag of Dangote cement was being sold at N4200 in Kogi, while it was sold at N3200 in Kano, saying, ”we can no longer take it”.

On her part, the Women leader, Salamat Yusuf, said their people were suffering without any support or benefits from Dangote company.

”We are in support of our Governor because he knows what we need. We appreciate him for fighting for us and the entire people of Kogi State,” Yusuf said.

Also speaking, a student leader, Bello Abdulrazak, said their grievance was that since he period that Obajana cement changed to Dangote cement, their people had been suffering.

”Dangote trailers have destroyed our roads without repairs, they have been killing our students without any compensation, no scholarship for students.

”We are appealing to the state Government to fight for our interest so that we can get what rightfully belong to us as host communities and as a State,” Abdulrazak said.

NAN reports that the protesters carried placards with various inscriptions such as: ”Say no to Dangote Group exploitation”, ”Return our Cement Factory”, ”Our Roads are destroyed by Dangote truck”.

Others include: ”We stand with GYB”, ”Dangote must go”, ”Our cement Na N4200 in Kogi, and N3200 for Kano”, ”No More Slavery in Kogi, ”Kogi Youths are tired of Dangote”, ”No more slavery in Kogi”, among others.

Host communities protest against Dangote company, demand compensation

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.

The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.

According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.

The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.

Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Published

on

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.

The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.

According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.

The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.

Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau

Continue Reading

News

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Published

on

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

By: Zagazola Makama

The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.

With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.

Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.

The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.

The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.

Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.

The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.

At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.

Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.

Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.

The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.

JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights