Connect with us

News

In last 10 months, NDLEA Arrests 14,480, Seizes Over 2.4 million kg Illicit Drugs- Marwa

Published

on

In last 10 months, NDLEA Arrests 14,480, Seizes Over 2.4 million kg Illicit Drugs- Marwa

By: Michael Mike

Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (rtd) has said that 14,480 suspected drug traffickers were arrested between January and October 2024 in connection with the seizure of 2.4 million kilogrammes of assorted illicit drugs seized by the anti-narcotics agency at seaports, airports, land borders and communities across the country.

Marwa gave these figures on Wednesday while briefing members of the House of Representatives Committee on Narcotic Drugs who were on oversight visit to the national headquarters of NDLEA in Abuja.

He said with the record of work done by the agency in the past 10 months, “we can say with certainty that we are on course to beat the performance of the previous three years.”

Marwa said: “Between January 1 and October 30, 2024, we recorded 14,480 arrest of drug offenders, including 15 drug barons. Within the same time, we have been able to secure 2,867 convictions in court. This is far more than what we have achieved in each of the past three years.

“Our seizures in 10 months amounted to 2.4 million kilogrammes of illicit drugs, which also surpassed last year’s record. We successfully located and destroyed 547,378 kilograms of cannabis plantations. Similarly, our drug demand reduction figure is on the positive side. In the past 10 months, the agency counselled and rehabilitated 6, 655 drug users. In the breath, we conducted a total of 3, 064 awareness campaigns and sensitisation lectures in schools, motor parks, worship centres, work places and communities, among others, which reached 1,327,181 people.”

He gave special mention to the largest single heroin seizure of 51.9 kilogrammes in the history of the agency at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in February; securing life imprisonment sentences for some notorious drug traffickers; arrest of most wanted drug barons in Lagos and the recent passage of the NDLEA Act amendment bill as some of the milestones of the agency in 2024.

The NDLEA boss while commending the lawmakers for their support in the outgoing year, however urged them to remain steadfast in their support so that the agency can achieve more.

He said: “In the past three years, we have harnessed and maximised the limited resources at our disposal to achieve impressive results. We can do more, and we are rearing to do more if given adequate resources. So, I will have to implore you not to relent or become weary of your oversight in ensuring that we are 100 percent mobilised in all our operations. We have come a long way, from an agency that was grossly emasculated due to a lack of resources to a government organ that is now up and doing.

“We are only a short distance away from attaining full strength to achieve all our set objectives that will make Nigeria safe from the scourge of illicit drugs. Pushing us to reach that watershed is very much in your power to do. While we thank you immensely for bringing us this far with your support, we look forward to more of that support that will put us on a pedestal where we will be sufficiently funded to work at our optimal best.”

In his remarks, Chairman of the House Committee on Narcotic Drugs, Hon. Abass Adigun commended the leadership and personnel of the anti-narcotics agency for their dedication to duty despite the often-challenging circumstances under which they operate.

He said: “As we conduct our oversight responsibilities, I assure you of our committee’s unwavering support in ensuring that the NDLEA remains adequately equipped to fulfil its mission. This includes advocating for improved funding, modern tools, and a conducive working environment for all staff.”

In last 10 months, NDLEA Arrests 14,480, Seizes Over 2.4 million kg Illicit Drugs- Marwa

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Published

on

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.

Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.

He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Continue Reading

News

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Published

on

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

By: Zagazola Makama

The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.

The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Continue Reading

News

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

Published

on

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

A disagreement between youths over access to a graveyard escalated into violence on Monday in parts of Kaduna South area of Kaduna State, leaving several persons injured and two houses burnt.

Security sources said a distress call received at about 9:00 a.m. indicated that youths from Makera Village had gone to Ungwan Mission to clear bushes around an abandoned Muslim graveyard in an effort to reopen it.

During the exercise, a youth from Ungwan Mission was reportedly prevented from passing through the site, a development that led him to mobilise others from his community to confront those clearing the graveyard.

The confrontation degenerated into a free-for-all fight, during which some participants sustained injuries and were rushed to hospitals for treatment. Two houses were also set ablaze in Ungwan Mission, though no loss of life was recorded.

Authorities said an emergency stakeholders’ meeting was convened by the Kaduna State Government and led by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly.

The meeting was attended by the Commissioner for Internal Security, representatives of the police, military and Department of State Services (DSS), chairmen of Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas, as well as leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), youth leaders and other stakeholders.

Security agencies said efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the violence, while measures had been put in place to prevent further breakdown of law and order in the area.

Clash over graveyard access leaves several injured in Kaduna

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights