News
Interior and Solid Minerals Development Ministries Collaborate to End Insecurity, Illegal Mining
Interior and Solid Minerals Development Ministries Collaborate to End Insecurity, Illegal Mining
By: Michael Mike
The Ministries of Interior and Solid Minerals Development have commenced a joint task to put an end to insecurity around mining sites across the country with the handling over of Mining Marshal from the former to the later.
The Minister of Interior, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo on Thursday formally handed over the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Commandant General’s Mining Marshal which was newly commissioned to ensure adequate security in the mining industry to the Ministry of Solid Minerals Development.
The Interior Minister who expressed optimism that the squad will end illegal mining activities soon, was represented at the handing over ceremony by the Commandant General (CG) of NSCDC, Dr Ahmed Audi.
The minister noted with satisfaction that the Corps had made unprecedented arrests of illegal miners including foreign nationals from China.

The squad code-named, ‘Operation Hayakinkoko’ according to the Minister is to smoke out all illegal miners who are responsible for the loss of huge national revenue from mining that is supposed to accrue from the sector.
“We are losing huge amounts of revenue from illegal mining activities”, Olubunmi stated.
The 60-member Mining Marshal, also known as the starter group was presented the the Minister of Solid Minerals Development with membership drawn across state commands based on credibility, and trained for effective service delivery under the Command of CSC John Onoja Attah, and would be replicated in all the 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory.
On his part, the Commandant General of NSCDC assured the minister of bringing the activities of illegal miners to an end and hinted that already, the Corps discretely has a record of illegal mining sites in the country.
Also speaking in a welcome address, the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Mr. Dele Alake, expressed delight in the quick response of the NSCDC by making available its personnel who are trained to address the menace of insecurity and ensure that only registered operators exist in the mining industry.
Alake who described the presentation/handing over of Mining Marshal to his ministry as symbolic and epitome of all that had been discussed at the inter-ministerial committee set up by President Bola Tinubu, applauded the Corps for bringing his ministry’s plan to fruition.
On assumption of duty in the ministry, he revealed part of his 7-point agenda in line with the renewed hope of Mr President was to create Mines Police to address insecurity in the sector, and expressed delight with the provision made by NSCDC irrespective of the nomenclature.
The Minister said the expectation of the present government is for solid minerals to contribute over 50 per cent of the nation’s revenue and decried nefarious activities of illegal mining which must be kept in check.
He maintained an inter-ministerial committee comprising ministries of Mining and solid minerals, Blue Economy, Interior and Police Affairs to fashion out ways to sanitise the industry and since then, members of the committee had worked relentlessly noting that the Marshal formed by the NSCDC and subsequent interventions by other agencies are all efforts in addressing challenges in the mining sector.
Other highlights of the event were the presentation of goodwill by the Chairman House of Representatives Committee on Mining, Hon. Jonathan Gbefwi who assured the Ministry and stakeholders of the National Assembly’s support.
The legislator said with the commencement of security protection of the sector economic fortune of the country will change positively against the regrettable practice whereby local minerals are even smuggled out of the country.
Interior and Solid Minerals Development Ministries Collaborate to End Insecurity, Illegal Mining
News
NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security
NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security
By: Michael Mike
The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) through the deployment of secure digital identity systems aimed at improving governance, enhancing national security, and expanding access to public services.
Speaking at a digital conference in Abuja themed “Building Africa’s Digital Foundations Together,” the Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of NIMC, Abisoye Coker-Odusote, represented by the Head of Infrastructure Technology and Identity Databases, Mr. Sulaiman Falade, said the commission is driving reforms and institutional partnerships to build an inclusive and interoperable digital identity ecosystem.
According to her, the National Identification Number (NIN) has become central to Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda, serving as a key tool for identity verification, biometric authentication, and access to both government and private sector services.
She noted that following the Presidential Directive issued on April 5, 2024, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) were mandated to integrate the NIN into digital services, particularly in areas involving data capture, identity verification, and authentication processes.
Coker-Odusote stated that NIMC has already established implementation structures to ensure compliance with the directive and to deepen the adoption of digital identity solutions across the country.
She further stressed that the Federal Government’s vision is to establish a unified, secure, and transparent digital identity framework capable of supporting efficient service delivery and accountability in governance.
The NIMC boss added that the commission is also advancing Nigeria’s broader digital governance goals through the deployment of the National Public Key Infrastructure (nPKI), a system designed to strengthen trust in digital transactions, safeguard citizens’ data, and promote secure online interactions.
She called on stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to continue supporting the implementation of Nigeria’s digital identity ecosystem, noting that the initiative is critical to national development and economic growth.
According to her, NIMC remains committed to leveraging technology and innovation to build a more connected, efficient, and resilient nation.
NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security
News
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
By: Michael Mike
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary election in Mafa Ward of Borno State, securing all valid votes cast in the exercise held in the home ward of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum.
The direct primary election took place at Mafa Central Primary School under the supervision of the Chairperson of the Presidential Primary Election Committee, Hajiya Inna Alkali Imam.
According to the results announced at the ward level, Tinubu polled 2,175 votes, representing 100 per cent of the valid votes cast during the exercise. Out of the 2,277 registered APC members in the ward, 2,175 were accredited and participated in the voting process.
Tinubu’s challenger, Stanley Osifo, an APC chieftain and businessman from Edo State, failed to secure any vote in the ward.
Governor Zulum, who served as the Coordinator and Collation Officer for the presidential primary in the state, said he participated in the exercise as an indigene of Mafa Ward.
“I am from Mafa Ward, and that is why I am here to witness and participate in the exercise. We have two candidates, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Mr Stanley Osifo,” Zulum stated.
The governor also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and the turnout of party members.
“So far so good, we have conducted the presidential primary election for Mafa Ward, and I am very impressed with the turnout. We have a total of about 2,277 registered party members in Mafa Ward, out of which 2,175 were accredited for the voting, and all of them voted for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while the other candidate scored zero,” he said.
The APC presidential primary is ongoing in several states across the country, with the party expected to collate and announce final nationwide results at a later date.
Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary
News
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
By: Our Reporter
The 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has recounted a touching childhood memory about former Nigerian Head of State Yakubu Gowon, portraying him as a compassionate leader who extended personal support to the family of a military officer killed during the 1966 coup.
Speaking during an interview on Signature TV, Sanusi reflected on his early years at St Anne’s Secondary School in Kaduna, where he attended school alongside Yusuf Pam, the son of the late Colonel Joseph Pam, one of the victims of the January 1966 Nigerian coup.
The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria recalled that despite the demands of national leadership, Gowon took a personal interest in the wellbeing of Yusuf following the loss of his father. According to Sanusi, the former Head of State frequently sent handwritten letters to the young boy, signing them “Uncle Joe.”
“What I remember at the age of eight was that General Gowon, as Head of State, would send a handwritten letter to Yusuf signed ‘Uncle Joe.’ That is a window into the person you are dealing with,” Sanusi said.
The Emir noted that the gesture has remained vivid in his memory over the years because it revealed a caring and humane side of leadership during one of the most turbulent periods in Nigeria’s history. He suggested that Gowon’s actions reflected empathy and a sense of responsibility toward families affected by the political upheaval of the time.
Colonel Pam was among several prominent figures who lost their lives during the 1966 coup, a pivotal event that reshaped Nigeria’s political landscape and contributed to years of instability and conflict that followed.
I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
