Crime
Kuje Prison: NCS recaptures 421 fleeing inmates, 454
Kuje Prison: NCS recaptures 421 fleeing inmates, 454
The House of Representatives’ Committee on Correctional Service has said that the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) has recaptured 421 inmates who fled the correctional centre in Kuje in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, while 454 others are still at large.
This is just as the committee said it had summoned the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola; and Comptroller-General of the NCoS, Haliru Nababa, to appear before it over the recent attack on the Kuje Custodial Centre.
The committee also invited the Commander of the Nigerian Army Platoon on duty on the night of the attack.
Chairman of the committee on Correctional Service, Edwin Anayo, who disclosed this during an oversight visit to the facility on Thursday, said the lawmakers met 115 inmates.
“If you subtract it, it will give about 879 that escaped that night,” he noted.
The inmates, including 69 suspected Boko Haram members, had escaped Kuje Medium Custodial Centre on Tuesday last week after members of the Islamic for West Africa Province attacked the facility.
Anayo decried that 12 other Custodial Centres had been attacked across the country recently. He said the recent jailbreaks by gunmen leading to the release of inmates are worrisome.
He said, “We are summoning the CG and the minister in charge of this agency to come to the National Assembly and explain to the whole world and Nigerians what is going on. We are not comfortable with the incidences of jailbreaks in recent times. There have been about 10 to 12 attacks on custodial centres. Nigerians are not comfortable. In Abuja, nobody walks freely now because of this incident. We have to interact and know the problem, and how we can solve it.”
“We have to know your challenges and how to tackle them. The committee is eager to know what transpired here, the reaction of the security agencies. After inviting the CG with his team and the minister, we will also invite the leader of the Army team on that day. We are summoning the CG with his team; the minister with his team to know more about what transpired on that fateful day that the incident happened.”
Kuje Prison: NCS recaptures 421 fleeing inmates, 454
Crime
Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner Linked to Notorious Terror Kingpins in Katsina
Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner Linked to Notorious Terror Kingpins in Katsina
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 17 Brigade, Operation FANSAN YANMA have arrested a suspected gunrunner allegedly involved in supplying weapons and ammunition to terrorist groups operating in the North-West.
Security sources told Zagazola Makama that the suspect, identified as Saidu Rabiu, aged 25, from Wagini in Batsari Local Government Area of Katsina State, was arrested on May 15, 2026, at about 10:20 a.m.
According to the sources, troops acted on credible intelligence and swiftly mobilised to the General Hospital, Batsari, where the suspect was reportedly receiving treatment for an undisclosed illness.

He was subsequently arrested at the hospital without resistance and moved for interrogation.
Preliminary investigation allegedly linked the suspect to the supply of military-grade weapons and ammunition to several notorious terror kingpins operating in the region, including Bello Turji, Ado Aliero, and other criminal commanders identified as late Kachalla Black and Yellow.
Troops said the suspect is currently in custody and undergoing further interrogation to uncover wider arms trafficking networks supporting terrorist operations in the North-West.
Troops Arrest Suspected Gunrunner Linked to Notorious Terror Kingpins in Katsina
Crime
Troops Arrest Suspected ISWAP Member Extorting Motorists in Borno
Troops Arrest Suspected ISWAP Member Extorting Motorists in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation Hadin Kai in collaboration with Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), have arrested a suspected member of the Islamic State West Africa Province in Gubio Local Government Area of Borno State.
Security sources said the suspect was apprehended at about 1:20 p.m. on May 14, 2026, in Gubio town during a coordinated operation with local security volunteers.
According to the sources, the suspect claimed to be from Jere Local Government Area and allegedly confessed to being part of a group involved in extorting motorists along the Kareto general area.
The suspect is currently in military custody and is undergoing further interrogation.
Security authorities said investigations were ongoing to identify other members of the suspected extortion network and dismantle related criminal activities in the area.
Troops Arrest Suspected ISWAP Member Extorting Motorists in Borno
Crime
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists During Clearance Operations in Borno
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists During Clearance Operations in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force North-East, Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have neutralised two suspected terrorists during clearance operations conducted in parts of Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State.
According to a special situation report issued by Headquarters Sector 1 under Operation Desert Sanity, the operation was carried out on May 15, 2026, by troops of the 153 Task Force Battalion stationed at Kirawa.
The operation involved 15 soldiers working in conjunction with 16 members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) and 24 hybrid forces mounted on 28 motorcycles.
The troops reportedly advanced to Valle general area, Ashigashiya and Gakara communities during the operation aimed at clearing suspected terrorist hideouts and routes within the axis.
Military sources said contact was made with an unconfirmed number of suspected members of the Islamic State West Africa Province and Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad during the operation.
Following a firefight, two terrorists were neutralised, while several others reportedly retreated in disarray toward the Ngoshe axis.
Troops subsequently exploited the general area but made no further contact with the fleeing insurgents.
The forces later returned to base at about 3:00 p.m. the same day after completing the operation.
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists During Clearance Operations in Borno
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
