News
NAF Chief Visits Zamfara Airstrike Victims, Takes Responsibility
NAF Chief Visits Zamfara Airstrike Victims, Takes Responsibility
By: Our Reporter
The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Hasan Abubakar, has visited Zamfara State to meet with victims and families affected by the recent Nigerian Air Force (NAF) airstrike, expressing deep regret over the tragic incident.

During his visit on Thursday, the CAS acknowledged the grief and pain suffered by the victims, their families, and the entire community, describing the event as a painful departure from the NAF’s commitment to protecting Nigerian citizens.
Abubakar also met with Zamfara State Governor, Dauda Lawal, where he reaffirmed the NAF’s dedication to safeguarding lives and ensuring that such incidents are minimized.

He commended the governor’s leadership and commitment to the state’s 6-Point Development Agenda, which prioritizes security, agriculture, education, healthcare, economic empowerment, and welfare.

Providing an account of the airstrike, the CAS said intelligence reports on January 11 indicated the movement of suspected terrorists on motorcycles through Dangebe Village in Maradun Local Government Area. The area had been targeted a day earlier as part of efforts to neutralize terrorist elements loyal to Bello Turji, a notorious bandit leader.
“Further surveillance confirmed the presence of armed motorcyclists whose movements matched the tactics of terrorist groups operating in the region,” he explained.

However, reports later emerged that the strike may have mistakenly killed members of a local vigilante group returning from a successful operation against terrorists.
Following these allegations, Abubakar said he immediately deployed a fact-finding team to assess the situation in collaboration with relevant stakeholders. Their findings confirmed that 11 members of the vigilante group were unintentionally killed, while another 11 sustained injuries ranging from fractures to minor shrapnel wounds.
Expressing deep regret, the CAS assured that the NAF fully acknowledged the pain caused by the incident and was taking steps to ensure such occurrences were prevented in the future.
To mitigate the suffering of the victims and their families, the CAS announced a series of support measures, including financial assistance for the families of those who lost their lives.

He also pledged the reconstruction of a damaged building in the affected village and the replacement of two motorcycles destroyed in the strike. Additionally, he directed the NAF Director of Services to provide a solar-powered borehole in Kambarawa Village to serve the local community and neighboring settlements.
“While these efforts cannot undo the loss suffered, they demonstrate the Air Force’s resolve to make amends and provide relief to those affected,” Abubakar stated.
The CAS highlighted the NAF’s newly developed Civilian Harm Mitigation and Response Action Plan (CHMR-AP), which is aimed at enhancing operational precision, improving assessments and investigations, and ensuring effective response mechanisms when civilian harm occurs.
According to him, the plan is designed to be flexible and scalable, ensuring improved strategic outcomes and refined operational assessments to prevent collateral damage during military operations.
He reiterated that the NAF remains committed to working closely with local authorities and security agencies to curb terrorism, banditry, and other criminal activities threatening peace in the North West.
Governor Lawal expressed gratitude to the CAS and his delegation for their visit and for standing in solidarity with the affected families. He also commended the proactive measures taken to prevent future occurrences.
As part of the visit, the governor presented the NAF with a Certificate of Occupancy for a parcel of land near Gusau Airport, designated for the establishment of a new Air Force Base in Zamfara.
NAF Chief Visits Zamfara Airstrike Victims, Takes Responsibility
News
Seven ISWAP Fighters’ Family Members, 12 Children Flee Yaganari Enclave, Surrender to Troops
Seven ISWAP Fighters’ Family Members, 12 Children Flee Yaganari Enclave, Surrender to Troops
By Zagazola Makama
Seven family members of suspected terrorists, accompanied by 12 children, have surrendered to troops of Operation HADIN KAI at Mafa in Borno State, following reported hunger and violent clashes among rival terrorist factions.
According to sources, the seven women surrendered at about 5 p.m. on Aug. 17 to troops of 112 Task Force Battalion deployed in Mafa.
The women were identified as Falamatai Modu, 30; Kelu Yaga, 25; Fada Yaga, 30; Gwaya Kadi, 25; Hauwa Mallam, 25; Maryam Yusuf, 25; and Fanna Kadi, 40.
They were accompanied by 12 children, aged between three months and 10 years.
Preliminary interrogation revealed that the women escaped from the Yaganari terrorist enclave due to hunger and concerns over their safety following violent clashes between rival terrorist factions.
The report said the escapees were profiled and documented by the troops and would be handed over to the 24 Task Force Brigade Military Intelligence Regiment for further action.
The development highlights the increasing pressure on terrorist enclaves in the North-East, where sustained military operations and internal factional clashes continue to disrupt the groups’ activities and survival networks.
The military authorities said the general security situation across the theatre remained calm but unpredictable, while troops’ morale and fighting efficiency remained satisfactory.
Seven ISWAP Fighters’ Family Members, 12 Children Flee Yaganari Enclave, Surrender to Troops
News
Again, Military Neutralise 8 ISWAP Fighters in Precision Airstrike in Timbuktu Triangle
Again, Military Neutralise 8 ISWAP Fighters in Precision Airstrike in Timbuktu Triangle
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation HADIN KAI have neutralised eight suspected Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists in a precision airstrike at Thethangala, within the Timbuktu Triangle of Borno State.
According to a Special Situation Report obtained by Zagazola Makama, the operation followed intelligence on terrorist activities in the area.
The report said a Guardian aircraft established overhead at Thethangala at about 9:56 p.m. on Aug. 18 and subsequently sighted eight terrorists who had converged and were lying in wait, apparently preparing to attack troops at their location.
Following the sighting, the aircraft conducted a precision strike on the identified terrorists.
“Battle Damage Assessment shows all the terrorists neutralised with no further movement observed after the strike,” the report stated.
The military said the general security situation remained calm but unpredictable, while the morale and fighting efficiency of troops remained satisfactory.
The latest air operation is part of sustained intelligence-led efforts by the Air Component of Operation HADIN KAI to disrupt terrorist concentrations and prevent planned attacks against troops operating in the North-East.
The Timbuktu Triangle remains one of the areas where terrorist groups have continued to seek opportunities to regroup and launch attacks against military positions.
Again, Military Neutralise 8 ISWAP Fighters in Precision Airstrike in Timbuktu Triangle
News
NTTF VP Mailantarki tasks stakeholders on grassroots development
NTTF VP Mailantarki tasks stakeholders on grassroots development
The Vice President of the Nigeria Table Tennis Federation (NTTF), Honourable Khamisu Ahmed Mailantarki, has commended the sponsor of the Senior Advocate Cup, Muhammed Sani Ndanusa (SAN), urging more stakeholders to emulate his profound passion for grassroots talent development across Northern Nigeria and the nation at large.
Hon. Mailantarki gave the commendation in a press statement issued on Tuesday by his media aide, Mr Adamu Usman Ahmed.
Mailantarki while speaking during the closing ceremony of the highly anticipated tournament congratulated the various winners across the different categories of Men Singles, Junior Single and the veterans.
The NTTF VP thrilled the audience at the Kaduna Police Officers’ Mess Indoor Sport hall with an exciting developmental announcement.
He revealed that the two finalists of the Junior Singles category have been selected for a special performance camping program at his prestigious Table Tennis Academy in Abuja. Based on their performance at the camp, they stand the chance of securing full sponsorship to an upcoming international youth championship.
The 6th edition of the championship witnessed spectacular displays of talents. In the elite category, Abayomi Martins from Borno State delivered a stellar performance to take home the overall winner’s prize, leaving Kamal Muktar of Kano State to settle for the runner-up medal.
In the fiercely contested Junior category, the host state’s Mustapha Muktar (Kaduna) triumphed over Taraba State’s Harrison Jacob to clinch the ultimate prize.
Looking to the future, Hon. Mailantarki assured fans and players that similar grassroots and elite developmental championships would be organized in other states to ensure the continuous discovery and nurturing of table tennis talents in the country.
NTTF VP Mailantarki tasks stakeholders on grassroots development
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions5 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions5 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics1 year ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
