Crime
NDLEA Arrests Octogenarians, Others in Sweeping Nationwide Drug Crackdown
NDLEA Arrests Octogenarians, Others in Sweeping Nationwide Drug Crackdown
By: Michael Mike
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested two elderly men—aged 83 and 78—alongside several other suspects in a series of coordinated anti-drug operations across multiple states, underscoring the agency’s intensified offensive against illicit drug trafficking in Nigeria.
The agency disclosed that the 83-year-old suspect, Pa John Ofiel, was apprehended last Tuesday during a raid at Samek area by Powerline in Abia State.

The spokesman of the anti-narcotics agency, Femi Babafemi in a statement on Sunday, said acting on credible intelligence, NDLEA officers stormed the location and recovered 700 grammes of skunk—a potent strain of cannabis—packaged in retail sachets. The octogenarian was said to have told investigators he had previously worked as a shoemaker before venturing into drug distribution.
In a similar operation in Ekiti State, 78-year-old, Ogunjobi Samuel was arrested last Thursday at his residence in Ilupeju-Ekiti. Officers recovered 350 grammes of skunk from the suspect, reinforcing concerns about the widening demographic of individuals involved in drug peddling.
The crackdown extended to Oyo State, where two women—Rebecca King, 24, and Olaniyan Opeyemi, 31—were arrested in connection with the seizure of 1.925 kilogrammes of Colorado, a synthetic cannabis variant. King was intercepted along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, while Opeyemi was later arrested at Iwo Road, Ibadan, attempting to receive the consignment.
In a separate operation in Ibadan, NDLEA operatives captured a long-wanted drug dealer, Taofik Adeyemi, 49, who had reportedly evaded arrest for months. He was apprehended on Saturday alongside an associate, Mustapha Oyerinde, 28, at his residence in Erunmu area.

Babafemi said recovered items from the clampdown included 3.085 kilogrammes of skunk and a Toyota Camry vehicle. He noted that two of Adeyemi’s alleged accomplices had earlier been arrested in December 2025 and are currently facing prosecution.
Further arrests were recorded in Osun State, where a 65-year-old driver, Oladayo Awoyemi, was caught transporting 7 kilogrammes of skunk and 15 grammes of methamphetamine along the Ibadan-Ilesha Expressway. A follow-up operation led to the arrest of the alleged consignment’s owner, Ifedayo Babalola, in Ilesha.
In the North-East, NDLEA operatives intercepted large quantities of opioids in Borno State. A 27-year-old suspect, Yahaya Shehu, was arrested with 76,440 pills of Tramadol, while another operation led to the seizure of 14,000 capsules and the arrest of additional suspects linked to the consignment.
The agency also reported a major seizure along the Abuja-Jos highway in Kaduna State, where 290 kilogrammes of compressed cannabis were recovered from two suspects. In Jigawa State, nearly 50,000 capsules of Tramadol were seized from two individuals during a roadside operation in Hadejia.
In Lagos State, NDLEA operatives raided Awolowo Market in Mushin, recovering a staggering 740 kilogrammes of skunk.
Meanwhile, in Edo State, a suspect identified as Godstime Godspower was arrested with various illicit substances, including Loud, Colorado, Tramadol, Swinol, and methamphetamine.
Beyond enforcement, the NDLEA said it has continued its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitisation campaign nationwide, targeting schools, religious centres, and community groups. Recent outreach programmes were held in Niger, Kano, Anambra, Lagos, and Edo states, among others.
Chairman and Chief Executive of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (Rtd), commended officers across the affected states for their operational successes. He emphasised the importance of maintaining a balance between aggressive drug supply reduction and sustained public education to curb demand.
The latest arrests, particularly those involving elderly suspects, highlight a troubling trend in Nigeria’s drug trade, where individuals across age groups are increasingly being drawn into illicit activities amid ongoing enforcement pressure.
NDLEA Arrests Octogenarians, Others in Sweeping Nationwide Drug Crackdown
Crime
Police Arrest Two Suspected One-Chance Robbery Syndicate Members in Lagos
Police Arrest Two Suspected One-Chance Robbery Syndicate Members in Lagos
By Zagazola Makama
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested two suspected members of a “one-chance” robbery syndicate over the alleged theft of a commercial tricycle in the Ojo area of the state.
The suspects, identified as Emeka Obi, 51, from Enugu State, and John Eze, 54, from Anambra State, were arrested at about 7 a.m. on Aug. 17 in the Iyana-Iba area of Ojo.
The suspects allegedly hired a tricycle belonging to a man identified as Ekene on Aug. 16, claiming they needed transportation to a hospital where their wife had delivered a newborn baby.
However, during the journey, the suspects allegedly stopped at a beer parlour around Kila Bus Stop, Ejigbo, where they took alcohol.
The report said the suspects subsequently asked the tricycle rider to purchase cigarettes.
While the rider was away, the suspects allegedly laced his drink with an unidentified substance.
The rider reportedly became unconscious and, upon regaining consciousness, discovered that his tricycle, with registration number KTU-334-QS, had been taken.
Following police investigation, the two suspects were arrested and the stolen tricycle was recovered and registered as an exhibit.
The suspects remain in police custody as investigation continues to establish their alleged roles and determine whether they are linked to other “one-chance” robbery incidents in Lagos.
Police Arrest Two Suspected One-Chance Robbery Syndicate Members in Lagos
Crime
Troops Arrest Suspected Bandits’ Informant in Katsina
Troops Arrest Suspected Bandits’ Informant in Katsina
By Zagazola Makama
KATSINA — Troops have arrested an 18-year-old suspected informant for armed bandits after he was found allegedly gathering information on the deployment and capabilities of security forces in Musawa Local Government Area of Katsina State.
The arrest followed credible intelligence on the movement of armed bandits around the Katsina-Kano border, prompting troops to maintain blocking positions and surveillance across their area of responsibility.
According to a Special Situation Report obtained by Zagazola Makama, locals in Tsaure alerted troops at about 10:25 a.m. on Aug. 19 after observing a suspicious young man identified as Sa’adu Sama, from Girtaji village in Musawa LGA.
The suspect was reportedly seen loitering around the community and asking children questions about the deployment of troops, including their strength, vehicles, motorcycles and equipment.
The children quickly reported the suspicious activity to community elders, who subsequently alerted troops of the Forward Operating Base in Tsaure.
The troops immediately moved in and arrested the suspect.
Security sources said the suspect was subsequently moved to the Brigade Headquarters for further interrogation and investigation.
The arrest highlights the importance of community vigilance and timely information-sharing between residents and security forces in disrupting criminal networks and preventing bandit attacks.
The security situation around the Forward Operating Bases and Joint Task Force locations was described as calm, while troops continued monitoring activities in the area.
The morale and fighting spirit of the troops were also reported to remain high.
Troops Arrest Suspected Bandits’ Informant in Katsina
Crime
Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau
Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation ENDURING PEACE, have foiled an attempted kidnapping and rescued four minors in Agingi, Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
The incident occurred at about 5:45 p.m. on Aug. 17, when troops responded to a report that four children had been targeted by suspected kidnappers while returning from the farm.
The troops’ swift intervention forced the criminals to flee, leading to the rescue of the victims.
The rescued minors were identified as Happy Pius, 15; David Monday, 13; Mercy Pius, 14; and Joy Monday, 13.
The victims were subsequently reunited with their families, while security forces commenced efforts to track down and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The successful intervention underscores the importance of rapid military response and community alerts in preventing criminal elements from abducting vulnerable residents in rural communities.
Troops Foil Kidnap Attempt, Rescue Four Minors in Plateau
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions5 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions5 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics1 year ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
