Connect with us

News

NEMA calls for synergy among stakeholders against flood

Published

on

NEMA calls for synergy among stakeholders against flood

By: Olatunji Omirin

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has reiterated that strengthening synergy between the agency and other stakeholders is critical to mitigate the effect of flood in Borno state. 

The acting Zonal Coordinator North East zonal office, Sirajo Garba said this during a one-day sensitisation programme on flood management held in Maiduguri

He explained that the Zonal office has carried out vulnerability test of flood-prone areas across the state and have been sensitising people living on waterways and river banks to relocate to safer locations. 

Sirajo expressed concern that some communities in parts of the metropolis have converted drainage networks constructed by the state government into waste disposal points, noting that it is one of the contributing factors to flooding. 

“It is because of the season of rain and flooding, that we deem it necessary to organize this workshop to bring the critical stakeholders together to change ideas and also provide a refresher on the roles and responsibilities of each stakeholder if there is an incident. 

“We understand that synergy with critical stakeholders plays a greater role in mitigating floods. 

“We also deem it necessary to identify flood-prone areas or locations to educate the communities on the dangers of residing in these locations.

“We are working towards how to carry along the religious and community leaders, that it is not one man business.

“It is a task for everyone to ensure we safeguard our communities against floods because governments can’t alone,” Sirajo said.

He commended the state government for embarking on the desilting of drainage networks across the state and called on the public to imbibe the culture of environmental hygiene. 

Representative of Borno State Emergency Management Agency SEMA Ali Mbusube described the programme as timely and will strengthen collaborative efforts to mitigate floods.

The workshop was attended by security agencies, SEMA, the Nigeria Red Cross, the Federal and State Fire Service, the United Nations Agency, the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons and other government agencies. 

NEMA calls for synergy among stakeholders against flood

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

News

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Published

on

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

By: Zagazola Makama

A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.

Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.

The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.

Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.

The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.

Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.

The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.

Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights