News
NHRC Condemns Killing of 16 soldiers
NHRC Condemns Killing of 16 soldiers
By: Michael Mike
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has condemned in strong terms the killing of 16 soldiers (officers and men) and some civilians on Thursday, March 14, 2024.
The killings were allegedly carried out by youths from Okuama community in Ugheli South local government area of Delta State while soldiers were on a peace mission to the community.
The Commission, in a statement on Monday, rejected the practice whereby aggrieved individuals and groups take laws into their hands attacking and killing law enforcement agents, insisting that such behaviors occasion human rights violations and distrust.
It said: “To this extent, it specifically amounts to violations of the right to life and dignity of human person as guaranteed under Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), Article 1 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), Article 4 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and other international instruments to which Nigeria is a signatory. Furthermore, everyone is entitled to life and security of their person under section 33 of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria (as amended).”
NHRC said: “These senseless killings of security agents which has been going on in several parts of the country are not acceptable. Citizens must engage and collaborate with the Law Enforcement Agents (LEAs), by providing them with the necessary information that will assist them in fishing out those behind these heinous and dastardly acts and ensure that they are prosecuted and punished in accordance with the law.”
The Executive Secretary of the Commission, Dr. Tony Ojukwu in the signed statement, urged authorities to put necessary mechanisms in place to arrest everyone allegedly involved in the gruesome murders. This is aimed to bring all perpetrators to to justice and prevent further occurrence in the future.
He said: “We are keenly monitoring the situation and official investigation in this case to ensure that those who are behind this inhumane and wicked act are quickly arrested, prosecuted and punished in accordance with the relevant international, regional and municipal laws.”
The Commission urged everyone, including the affected community and the Nigerian Armed Forces to sheath their sword and refrain from any form of reprisals while awaiting for the outcome of the investigation. This is to avoid further escalation of the crises that could worsen tension and human rights violations.
The Commission expresses condolence to the Chief of Defense Staff, Chief of Army Staff, the Nigerian military, and the families of the slain soldiers and urges everyone to remain calm and trust that justice will be served accordingly.
NHRC Condemns Killing of 16 soldiers
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
News
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
By: Zagazola Makama
A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.
Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.
The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.
Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.
The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.
Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.
The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.
Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
