News
NIDCOM Promises to Ensure Justice in Alleged Police Killing of Nigerian Student in Canada

NIDCOM Promises to Ensure Justice in Alleged Police Killing of Nigerian Student in Canada
By: Michael Mike
Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa has promised that the commission will ensure that justice is served in the case of alleged killing of Afolabi Stephen, a 19- year old Nigerian student in Manitoba, Canada, even as she described the incident as wicked.
Dabiri-Erewa, in a condolence message issued by the Director of Media and Public Relations and Protocols of NIDCOM, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, received the news with shock.
The statement read: “We are in touch with the Nigerians mission in Ottawa who have the assurances of the Canadian authorities that investigations into the unfortunate incident has begun and will be thorough.
‘We offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Afolabi and pray unto God to allow his gentle and innocent soul rest in perfect peace.”
Reports has it that a 19-year-old Nigerian, Afolabi Stephen, was allegedly killed by policemen on December 31, 2023 in Manitoba, Canada.
Though the details of his death are still sketchy, the Winnipeg, Manitoba Police Department, in a statement posted on its website via Winnipeg.ca, said its officers responded to a call about a young male who was acting “erratically”.
The police noted that upon arrival, efforts to calm the young man proved abortive which led to the discharge of a firearm by the police which ultimately led to his death.
NIDCOM Promises to Ensure Justice in Alleged Police Killing of Nigerian Student in Canada
News
Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA repel bandit attack in Katsina

Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA repel bandit attack in Katsina
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA have repelled an attack by suspected bandits on Marabar Kankara and Unguwar Tashan Gemu villages in Malumfashi Local Government Area of Katsina State.
Zagazola gathered that the incident occurred at about 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 29 when a group of armed bandits attempted to invade the communities.
“On receiving information, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA, in collaboration with police operatives and community watch groups, swiftly mobilised to the area.
“The troops blocked all entry and exit routes, engaged the criminals in a fierce gun battle, and successfully repelled the attack,” said the sources.
The sources added that the bandits, facing heavy firepower, retreated with casualties, while the troops conducted a clearance operation to track down the fleeing attackers.
The sources said normalcy had been restored in the affected communities, while patrols and surveillance had been intensified to forestall further attacks.
Troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA repel bandit attack in Katsina
News
Chinese Envoy Calls for Continued Commitment to Principles of United Nations, Resistance to Unilateralism

Chinese Envoy Calls for Continued Commitment to Principles of United Nations, Resistance to Unilateralism
By: Michael Mike
The Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Yu Dunhai has asked the international community to remain committed to the principles of the United Nations, resist unilateralism, and ensure that “the tragedy of fascism is never repeated.”
Yu made the request in Abuja at the screening of the firm, Dead to Rights, to mark the 80th anniversary of the victory in the Chinese People’s War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression and the World Anti-Fascist War.
Dead to Rights, is a movie that dramatized the 1937 Nanjing Massacre.
The Chinese Ambassador described the massacre where Japanese forces brutally killed more than 300,000 civilians and soldiers and committed widespread atrocities as “one of the darkest chapters in modern world history.” He said the film served not only as remembrance but also as a reminder of the dangers of forgetting history.
He noted that: “During the 14 years of resistance, over 35 million Chinese people lost their lives or were injured. China made historic contributions to the victory of the world anti-fascist war and to restoring world peace and order.”
The Ambassador while emphasizing that the anniversary was not only about mourning the dead but also about reinforcing commitments to peace, said: “The best way to honour their sacrifice is to cherish peace, protect peace, and strengthen international cooperation.”
He also warned against the rise of historical revisionism and global instability, stressing that the international community must remain committed to the principles of the United Nations, resist unilateralism, and ensure that “the tragedy of fascism is never repeated.”
He recalled that: “In 1931, driven by militarism, Japan launched a brutal war of aggression against China. Then, on December 13, 1937, after capturing the city of Nanjing, Japanese invaders carried out a horrific massacre that lasted six weeks. More than 300,000 Chinese civilians and soldiers were killed—a tragedy now known as the Nanjing Massacre. This remains one of the darkest chapters in modern world history and a profound, enduring sorrow in the hearts of the Chinese people. The film we are about to watch, Dead to Rights, is inspired by these historical events. It offers a unique perspective for reflecting on this period and reminds us of a history we must never forget.”
The envoy added that: “During World War II, as the main Eastern theatre in the global fight against fascism, China endured 14 years of relentless resistance. At a staggering cost of more than 35 million military and civilian casualties and direct economic losses exceeding 600 billion US dollars, we dealt a powerful blow to Japanese fascism, crippled Japan’s ambition to expand further, and made historic contributions to restoring world peace and order.
“Today, we gather to commemorate this great victory—to honor history, pay tribute to the fallen, cherish peace, and build a brighter future together. Let history be our guide. Let us preserve, with unwavering resolve, the hard-won outcomes of World War II. At this critical juncture, it falls upon us to reaffirm our commitment to the international system with the United Nations at its core, the international order based on international law, and the basic norms of international relations embodied in the UN Charter. Together, let us strive to steer the global order toward a future defined by greater fairness, justice, and equality for all.”
Yu however noted that Nigeria plays an important role in this vision, stressing that as two major countries of the Global South, China and Nigeria share common values of fairness, justice, and development.
He said their Comprehensive Strategic Partnership, must continue to grow through stronger political dialogue, cultural exchanges, and people-to-people cooperation.
The envoy added that: “Cinema has the power to tell history in ways textbooks cannot. By watching, reflecting, and remembering, we reaffirm our shared humanity and our collective responsibility to build a more peaceful world.”
Chinese Envoy Calls for Continued Commitment to Principles of United Nations, Resistance to Unilateralism
News
North-East Governors Converge on Jalingo for 12th Forum Meeting

North-East Governors Converge on Jalingo for 12th Forum Meeting
By: Our Reporter
Ahead of the 12th meeting of the North-East Governors’ Forum (NEGF), the Chairman of the Forum and Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum, alongside his fellow governors, was hosted to a dinner and gala night by the Governor of Taraba State, His Excellency Dr. Agbu Kefas.
The event, held on Friday evening at the Banquet Hall of the Government House in Jalingo, served as a prelude to the formal meeting and was attended by their Excellencies the Governors of the North-East states: Ahmadu Fintiri of Adamawa State, Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State, Inuwa Yahaya of Gombe State, and Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State.

The evening featured vibrant cultural displays, music, and performances by traditional and contemporary groups from Taraba and across the North-East region, showcasing the area’s rich cultural heritage.
In his remarks, the NEGF Chairman, Governor Zulum, expressed his profound appreciation to Governor Kefas and the people of Taraba State or their exceptional hospitality and the refreshing welcome extended to the delegates.
“This evening’s cultural display and the spirit of camaraderie have perfectly set the tone for what we anticipate will be a highly productive meeting,” Zulum stated.

According to him, deliberations will focus on strengthening unity and addressing the pressing issues of insecurity, poverty, and infrastructure deficits within our region.
Earlier, in his welcome address, Governor Agbu Kefas emphasised the critical importance of regional solidarity. He stressed that a united front and a strong bond of brotherhood are essential for tackling the common challenges confronting the North-East.
“The Forum provides a vital platform for us to develop collaborative strategies that will promote sustainable peace, accelerate development, and ensure shared prosperity for all our people,” Kefas noted.

The 12th North-East Governors’ Forum meeting is scheduled to commence at 10:00am today, Saturday, at the Taraba State Government House, Jalingo.
North-East Governors Converge on Jalingo for 12th Forum Meeting
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
Opinions4 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS2 years ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions2 years ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics3 months ago
2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift