Connect with us

Crime

Nigerian Govt. may extradite Abba Kyari to US for trial – Malami

Published

on

Nigerian Govt. may extradite Abba Kyari to US for trial - Malami

Nigerian Govt. may extradite Abba Kyari to US for trial – Malami

The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami, SAN, on Monday, said the Federal Government may consider a request to extradite the suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, DCP, Abba Kyari, to the United States of America, USA, to face trial over his alleged involvement with an internet fraudster, Ramon Olorunwa Abbas, popularly known as Hussipuppi.

Malami, who appeared as a guest in Channels Television’s night program, Politics Today, disclosed that “reasonable ground for suspicion” was established against DCP Kyari in the report of a police panel that investigated corruption allegations that were levelled against him by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, FBI.

Though the AGF noted that the case has both national and international dimensions, he said the FG would not rule out the possibility of Kyari’s extradition to the US or his prosecution in Nigeria.

“It is a work in progress, nationally and internationally”, he stated, adding “we will ensure that justice is done regardless of personalities involved”.

He stressed since multiple jurisdictions are involved in the case, including the United Arab Emirates, US and Nigeria, it would require collaborations, with the country providing “the necessary support”.

“What I am saying is that locally and internationally, all hands are on deck. Nigeria is indeed doing the needful by way of supporting what America is doing, for the purpose of ensuring that the cases are tried accordingly, within the context of the American aspect of it. And eventually, if there is need for local prosecution, nothing will stop it”.

Speaking further, Malami, said: “There could be a need for making request for extradition. Parties are discussing and collaborating, with the exchange of correspondences for the extradition and associated issues”.

It will be recalled that DCP Kyari was indicted by the FBI in the multi-million naira advanced fee fraud said to have been perpetrated by Hushpuppi.

The Nigerian Police Force earlier constituted a panel to probe Kyari who was promptly suspended from his position as head of its Intelligence Response Team, IRT.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

NDLEA Busts $360m Transborder Drug Network, Earns Tinubu’s Praise

Published

on

NDLEA Busts $360m Transborder Drug Network, Earns Tinubu’s Praise

By: Zagazola Makama

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has commended the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for dismantling a transborder drug trafficking syndicate involving Nigerian and Mexican nationals, describing the operation as a major breakthrough in the fight against organised crime.

The President gave the commendation in a statement issued on Wednesday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

According to the statement, the operation led to the arrest of foreign nationals, local drug kingpins, and other collaborators, as well as the seizure of chemicals and illicit drugs valued at over 360 million dollars.

The Chairman of the NDLEA, Mohammed Buba Marwa, had earlier announced the successful operation following weeks of intelligence gathering and coordinated efforts by NDLEA operatives in collaboration with international partners.

President Tinubu said the successful operation demonstrated exceptional professionalism, courage, and commitment by the anti-narcotics agency in safeguarding society from the dangers of illicit drugs.

He commended the bravery and resilience displayed by NDLEA operatives throughout the operation and urged the agency not to relent in confronting drug trafficking networks.

The President noted that West Africa had increasingly become a major transit hub for cocaine, synthetic drugs, and unregulated pharmaceuticals destined for Europe and North America.

He warned that beyond constituting a serious security threat, narcotics also posed grave dangers to the future of young people, many of whom had fallen victim to drug abuse and trafficking networks.

Tinubu called on Nigerians to support the anti-drug campaign by remaining vigilant and reporting suspicious activities within their communities to security agencies.

According to him, the success of the operation sends a strong message that security agencies will not tolerate organised crime and criminality in any part of the country.

He reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to ensuring that individuals and groups threatening public safety and national security face the full weight of the law.

NDLEA Busts $360m Transborder Drug Network, Earns Tinubu’s Praise

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Foil Attempted Motorcycle Snatching by Plateau Militia in Mangu

Published

on

Troops Foil Attempted Motorcycle Snatching by Plateau Militia in Mangu

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 8 of Operation Safe Haven have foiled an attempted motorcycle snatching along Jwak village in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Jwak general area responded to a distress call over an attempt by suspected local criminals to dispossess a motorcyclist of his motorcycle along the highway.

The victim, identified as Shuaibu Ayuba, was reportedly attacked by the criminals before the arrival of the troops.

According to the sources, the swift intervention by the troops forced the attackers to abandon the operation and flee into nearby bushes.

The victim was rescued by the troops and immediately evacuated to the Medical Centre in Mangu for treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to deny criminal elements freedom of action.

Authorities reassured residents of continued security presence and urged members of the public to provide timely information to aid ongoing operations.

Troops Foil Attempted Motorcycle Snatching by Plateau Militia in Mangu

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops recover 39 cattle after the owner alleged to have been killed by rustlers in Mangu, Plateau

Published

on

Troops recover 39 cattle after the owner alleged to have been killed by rustlers in Mangu, Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered 39 cattle allegedly roaming about in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau, in suspected targeted attack on the owner.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 4:30 p.m. on May 21 during a patrol by troops at Mwansat community.

The sources said the cattle were suspected to have been rustled, while the owner was feared to have been killed by cattle rustling networks in Mangu.

According to the sources, the troops moved the cattle to a safe location pending the identification of the owner and the affected farmer for amicable settlement.

Authorities said efforts were ongoing to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident and prevent escalation of tensions in the area.

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights