News
NSCDC Calls for Collaboration to Tackle Illegal Mining in Nigeria
NSCDC Calls for Collaboration to Tackle Illegal Mining in Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Commandant General, Prof. Abubakar Audi has called for collaboration with security agencies to combat the cases of illegal mining in the country.
Speaking at a high-level National Stakeholders and Civil Society Summit in Abuja, where he addressed on the need of expanded role of the Corps in combating illegal mining and protecting national asset, Audi noted that the fight against illegal mining cannot be won by security forces alone, but requires grassroots engagement, local intelligence, and community buy-in.

At the event which was held at the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, where senior officials from government, civil society, and security agencies sat to examine pressing threats including terrorism, oil theft, violent extremism, illegal mining, and human rights violations, Audi who served as the Guest Speaker, anchored his address on the theme: “The Role of Community Leaders and Civil Society Organisations in Tackling Illegal Mining in Nigeria.”
Represented by the Mining Marshals Commander; Assistant Commandant Attah Onoja, delivered remarks that drew attention from participants, and underscored the Corps’ record of success under his watch.
Onoja said: “Under the leadership of the Commandant General, Prof. Audi, the Corps has recorded tremendous success in disrupting illegal mining operations across various states,” adding that: “This has not only safeguarded Nigeria’s mineral resources but has also positively impacted government revenue and local economic development.”
He noted that the Mining Marshals, established during Audi’s tenure, have spearheaded intelligence-led operations against illicit resource extraction. Officials say their work—ranging from strategic deployments and arrests to seizures and prosecutions—has reshaped enforcement in a sector long plagued by criminal activity and revenue losses.

Onoja also called for greater inter-agency collaboration, coordination and cooperation, stressing that threats such as banditry and terrorism demand collective responses. “Security challenges…require collective action and sustained policy implementation,he noted, while reaffirming the Corps’ commitment to professionalism and integrity.
The summit agreed that the Nigeria’s security institutions—including the NSCDC—must be further empowered to confront the array of crimes undermining the country’s economic stability and democratic order.
NSCDC Calls for Collaboration to Tackle Illegal Mining in Nigeria
News
Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu
Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 8 (Sub-Sector 81), Operation Enduring Peace, have responded to a reported attack and killing of a civilian security guard, Saidu Mohammed, by militia elements in Gindiri area of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. on May 22 at a farm near a dam in the area.
According to the sources, troops were mobilised to the scene following a distress call and found the lifeless body of the victim, who was said to have sustained machete cuts.
The remains of the deceased were recovered and subsequently handed over to his family for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.
The sources added that preliminary assessment suggested the attack may have been carried out by suspected militia elements operating in the general area.
Authorities said efforts were ongoing to identify, trail and apprehend those responsible for the killing, while security surveillance in the area had been intensified.
Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu
News
Zulum Presents APC Guber Candidate Gubio to Tinubu, Hails President’s Role in Northeast Recovery
Zulum Presents APC Guber Candidate Gubio to Tinubu, Hails President’s Role in Northeast Recovery
By: Michael Mike
Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, on Friday formally presented the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state, Mustapha Gubio, to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa.
During the meeting, Zulum praised President Tinubu’s commitment to restoring peace, rebuilding communities devastated by insurgency and supporting development efforts across Nigeria’s Northeast.

The governor said the President’s leadership has strengthened cohesion within the APC and sustained momentum in the region’s recovery efforts, particularly in states affected by years of attacks by insurgent groups.
“The President’s commitment to peace and reconstruction in the Northeast has been unwavering,” Zulum said, noting that federal interventions in security, humanitarian support and infrastructure development have continued to bring hope to affected communities.
Zulum was accompanied to the Presidential Villa by member of the House of Representatives, Bukar Talba.
The presentation of Gubio comes amid growing political activities ahead of the 2027 general elections and is widely seen as a major step in consolidating the APC’s political structure in Borno State, one of the party’s strongest support bases in the North-East.
Gubio, a former commissioner and technocrat, recently emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Borno, succeeding other aspirants in the party’s internal selection process. His emergence has attracted significant attention within political circles, especially given Governor Zulum’s influence in the state and his administration’s focus on post-insurgency reconstruction, resettlement of displaced persons and rebuilding of critical infrastructure.

Since assuming office in 2019, Zulum has gained national recognition for his hands-on leadership style, particularly his frequent visits to conflict-affected communities and efforts to improve education, healthcare and security coordination in Borno State.
Borno remains one of the states most impacted by over a decade of insurgency in the Northeast, with thousands killed and millions displaced. However, recent years have witnessed gradual reconstruction and resettlement efforts led by both the state and federal governments.
Zulum Presents APC Guber Candidate Gubio to Tinubu, Hails President’s Role in Northeast Recovery
News
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
By: Michael Mike
A human rights organisation, Speak Out for Justice Advocacy Ltd./Gte. (SOJA), has condemned the reported abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident and the alleged killing of a teacher, Mr. Michael Oyedokun, as “a case too many.”
In a statement issued on Thursday, the group expressed deep concern over reports that armed attackers abducted teachers and students from schools within the council area around May 15, 2026, while Mr. Oyedokun, a Mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was reportedly killed during the incident.
The organisation said several victims were still believed to be in captivity awaiting rescue.
SOJA, led by its Founder and Executive Director, Hameed Ajibola Jimoh, commiserated with the affected families and communities, warning that repeated attacks on schools and civilians across parts of the country were becoming alarming.
According to the advocacy group, the incident, if confirmed, raises serious constitutional and human rights concerns under both Nigerian law and international treaties to which Nigeria is a signatory.
Citing Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution, SOJA stressed that “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government,” while Sections 33, 34 and 35 guarantee the rights to life, dignity and personal liberty.
The group also referenced Nigeria’s obligations under several international and regional legal frameworks, including the United Nations-backed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC).
SOJA argued that the obligations imposed by these instruments go beyond symbolic commitments, requiring authorities to take practical and preventive steps to protect lives, especially those of vulnerable groups such as school children and teachers.
“The implication of these obligations in the present circumstances is that government responsibility extends beyond merely reacting after tragic events occur,” the statement said.
The organisation acknowledged reports that security agencies had intensified rescue operations and investigations, but maintained that recurring attacks on schools demanded more decisive and proactive measures.
“This is a case too many,” the statement added.
SOJA therefore called for the immediate intensification of lawful rescue efforts for those still in captivity, a thorough investigation into the incident, prosecution of perpetrators, strengthened security around schools and vulnerable communities, and adequate support for affected victims and families.
The group further urged the government to undertake a comprehensive review of strategies aimed at preventing future attacks on educational institutions.
“Teachers should not become targets. Schools should not become zones of fear. Children should not bear the burden of insecurity,” the organisation stated.
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
