Connect with us

Crime

NSCDC Parades 51 Suspected Illegal Miners, 3 Telecommunications Mast Vandals

Published

on

NSCDC Parades 51 Suspected Illegal Miners, 3 Telecommunications Mast Vandals

By: Michael Mike

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested 51 suspected illegal miners and three suspected telecommunication mast vandals in the federal capital territory (FCT).

The NSCDC FCT Commandant, Olusola Odumosu made the disclosure on Monday while briefing journalists.

He said that the three suspected vandals were apprehended by the men of Critical National Assets and infrastructure unit of his command, following a tip-off of the dismantling activity at Giri area by the FCT Command intelligence and undercover operatives

He told the public that before the decommissioning of any mast, an approval of such act must be obtained from the NSCDC being the lead agency in the protection of critical national asset and infrastructure in the country.

Odumosu disclosed that the suspects during interrogation by the command’s Anti-vandal Unit, were unable to show an approval from the Corps.

He said: “Neither do they have any proper means of identification showing who they are and the company they are working for.

“Upon further questioning, they revealed that a a certain business man had already been paid the sum of N4 million ahead for the dismantling which raised suspicion of a premeditated act of vandalism.

“Ongoing investigation is being carried out to determine his level of culpability and ownership claim after which necessary action will be taken.”

The Commandant disclosed that in a similar operation, 51 suspects were arrested in Gwagwalada area of the FCT for engaging in illegal mining activities.

Odumosu explained that the suspects, all male, had been profiled and had no evidence of a registered company they were operating under as well as no exploration and mining licence.

“All acts of illegal mining encroaches on the soil and causes environmental degradation and erosion and that is why most of these areas are no longer useful for agricultural and human activities.”

He said that after thoroughly investigating both cases, the suspects would be charged to court for further disciplinary action that will serve as deterrence to others.

Exhibits recovered from the 54 suspects were dismantled metal mast parts, five pumping machines.

“Un-quantified amount of substance alleged to be gold dust, pumping hoses, ten litres of fuel, shovels, diggers and head- pan.

According to Odumosu, henceforth, we will not relent to arrest any form of sabotage on the economy; the Federal Government is trying so hard to provide infrastructure to make life easy.

“And some miscreants in the name of vandalism and illegal mining are trying to destroy what has been provided.

“People are quick in condemning government but people like these are the ones destroying the efforts of the Federal Government,” the Commandant added.

The Command Head warned vandals and criminals in the FCT to relocate, stressing that, the NSCDC was out for them as there is no hiding place left for them in the territory.

NSCDC Parades 51 Suspected Illegal Miners, 3 Telecommunications Mast Vandals

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Troops Raid Criminal Hideouts, Arrest 10 Suspects in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Raid Criminal Hideouts, Arrest 10 Suspects in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 1 of Operation Safe Haven have conducted coordinated raid operations on suspected criminal hideouts in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State, leading to the arrest of 10 suspects.

Security sources said the operation was carried out at about 9:00 p.m. on May 19 at Gurum and Mista-Ali communities as part of ongoing efforts to deny criminal elements freedom of action within the area.

The troops reportedly stormed identified hideouts and arrested the suspects during the operation without incident.

A total of 10 suspects were taken into custody and are currently undergoing profiling and preliminary investigation.

Security sources said the raid forms part of sustained clearance operations aimed at curbing criminal activities, including banditry, kidnapping, and other related offences across Plateau State.

They added that security patrols and intelligence-driven operations would continue in vulnerable communities to restore lasting peace.

Troops Raid Criminal Hideouts, Arrest 10 Suspects in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activities in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activities in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 4, Sub-Sector 41 of Operation Enduring Peace have disrupted suspected illegal mining activities in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources said the troops responded at about 7:00 p.m. on May 19 following reports of illegal mining operations between NTV and Hirpiya villages.

On arrival at the location, the suspected illegal miners reportedly fled the scene upon sighting the troops.

The troops subsequently secured the area and recovered items believed to have been used for the illegal activities, including one long pipe, one generator, and one pumping machine.

The recovered items have been taken into custody for further investigation and necessary action.

Security sources said the operation formed part of ongoing efforts to curb illegal mining and other criminal activities contributing to insecurity and environmental degradation in Plateau State.

Troops Disrupt Illegal Mining Activities in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Troops Arrest Wanted Kidnap Suspect Linked to Abduction of Retired Colonel in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Arrest Wanted Kidnap Suspect Linked to Abduction of Retired Colonel in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Safe Haven have arrested a wanted kidnap suspect linked to the abduction of a retired military officer in Plateau State.

Security sources said the suspect, identified as Abubakar Ahamadu, 35, was apprehended at about 4:00 p.m. on May 20 during an intelligence-led operation.

He was reportedly linked to the kidnapping of retired Col. Ajanaku (rtd), which occurred on Jan. 4 along Rukuba Road in Bassa LGA.

Sources said the arrest followed sustained efforts by troops to track and dismantle kidnapping networks operating within the area.

The suspect is currently in custody and undergoing further investigation and profiling.

Troops Arrest Wanted Kidnap Suspect Linked to Abduction of Retired Colonel in Plateau

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights