Connect with us

News

Ondo Governorship Election: IPCR Calls For Violence-Free Election

Published

on

Ondo Governorship Election: IPCR Calls For Violence-Free Election

By: Michael Mike

The Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) has called for violence-free Ondo State gubernatorial election.

The Institute said as the preparations for the conduct of the election has reached an advanced stage with the date fixed and logistical arrangements concluded, there’s need for a robust sensitization campaign focused on the achievement of a peaceful process, adding that the imperative for peace in electoral systems, irrespective of locations and geographies, is very critical because it guarantees viability and ultimately, sustainability.

The Institute said it is very important, aside being peaceful that the election is also credible and acceptable by the local and International community.

It would be recalled that the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR), the Nigerian government agency responsible for the promotion of peace and conflict management, has since inception in 2000 been playing the pivotal and nation-building role of mobilizing and sensitizing the Nigerian citizenry towards the pursuit of, and conduct of peaceful elections devoid of acrimonies and impliedly, any form of volatility.

A statement signed on Monday by the Director General, Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR), Dr. Joseph Ochogwu read: “On the imperative of violence-free elections in Ondo state, the IPCR said that ‘Peace’ remains the stimulating and sustaining energy driving the socio-economic and political development of all organized states.

“It can be argued that it is the relative peace attained in the democratic space over these years – as fostered by IPCR and other Peacebuilding actors – that has guaranteed the stability of the Nigerian electoral system beyond its shaky beginnings. This notable achievement is no doubt connected to the recently celebrated twenty five years of unbroken democratic culture in the country.”

The statement further read that: “The Nigerian democratic experience is unique because it pursues the overall interest of the public, in addition to guaranteeing citizens’ rights to demand accountability from elected officials in honour of the tenets of the social contract covenant as universally prescribed by classical socio-political and moral thinkers like Grotius, Kant, Hobbes and Gentili. No doubt, this is what justifies and gives credence to the system. Also, this necessitates the urgency for securing the process by ensuring that nothing related to violence occurs during the Ondo elections.”

Ochogwu said: “In order to ensure a smooth and violence-free electoral process, the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolutions proffers the following recommendations;

“All stakeholders to the Ondo state elections should collaboratively ensure that the space is detoxified so that characteristically provocative utterances and accompanying hate speeches that fly across political party divides during important electoral cycles like the forthcoming elections are checked.

“The Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) equally considers it necessary to request that the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALWs) rise to their responsibility by ensuring an effective monitoring of the Ondo electoral spaces towards guaranteeing that arms proliferation before, during and after the elections are indeed controlled.

“In the same spirit, the NDLEA and the NAFDAC should work assiduously while heading-towards the achievement of their noble goal of cutting-off access to illicit drugs flow whiles at the same time severing the networks that service the drug needs of would-be violent actors before, during and after elections.”

The IPCR however, commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over its role in the conduct of elections so far.

Ondo Governorship Election: IPCR Calls For Violence-Free Election

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia

Published

on

Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia

By: Zagazola Makama

Less than 24 hours after three Fulani youths were reportedly killed in an attack in Plateau state, another youth has allegedly been killed and one abducted in targeted attack in Riyom LGA by Birom Militia.

Security and local informants told Zagazola Makama that the latest incident occurred on Feb. 21 in Jol community, where suspected Birom militia members attacked herders, killing one Muhammed Sani, while another victim, identified as Faruq Jamilu, was abducted. An unspecified number of cattle were also reportedly killed or injured during the assault.

The development came barely a day after three youths Tahiru Muhammad, Jibrin Salisu and Abdulmumin Isyak were said to have been ambushed and killed on Feb. 19 while returning from Dorowan Babuje in Barkin Ladi area.

Zagazola report that the earlier attack occurred at about 7:00 p.m. near Jong Fulani community. Sources alleged that the victims were intercepted by armed Birom Militia assailants, and security personnel later recovered spent cartridges and a motorcycle and a bottle of alcohol otherwise known as Goskolo at the scene.

Community representatives alleged that the succession of incidents reflected sustained pattern of attacks targeting pastoral settlements and livestock in parts of the state in recent months.

Zagazola report that repeated cases of attacks and killing, cattle poisoning, rustling and arson had heightened tensions and triggered fears of reprisals across the affected areas while the state government and concerned authorities have done little or nothing to fish out the perpetrators.

Less than 24 hours after triple killing, another Fulani youth slain in fresh Plateau attack by Berom Militia

Continue Reading

News

Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos

Published

on

Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos

By: Zagazola Makama

A retired Commissioner of Police, CP David Danjuma Auta (Rtd), JP, KSM, KSS, has died.

He passed away on Feb. 19, 2026, at the Air Force Military Hospital, Jos, after a brief illness.

Born on June 11, 1941, CP Auta enlisted in the Nigeria Police Force on Feb. 26, 1962, and served in several capacities, culminating as Commissioner of Police in Ogun State before retiring on Feb. 26, 1997.

He hailed from Takum Local Government Area of Taraba State.

He is survived by his wife and seven children. The corpse has been deposited at the hospital morgue, and burial arrangements will be communicated in due course.

Former CP David Danjuma Auta dies at Air Force Military Hospital, Jos

Continue Reading

News

Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue

Published

on

Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue

By: Zagazola Makama

Five persons have been killed and a house razed following a late-night attack on Azoke village in Ado Local Government Area of Benue.

Sources said the incident occurred at about 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 19 when suspected assailants from Akparata community in Ohaukwu Local Government Area of Ebonyi allegedly invaded the village.

The victims were identified as Nwefuru Elu, Nwefuru Agnes, Nwali Nworie Christianana, Obasi Nwode and Nwozo Nwode.

It was gathered that the attackers also set ablaze a house belonging to one Elumu Nwokwo during the assault, heightening tension in the area.

Security personnel who responded to a distress alert visited the scene and documented evidence as part of preliminary investigation.

Authorities said efforts were ongoing to apprehend those responsible, while further investigation had commenced to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Residents were urged to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as measures were being intensified to prevent escalation of violence in the area.

Five killed, house burnt in cross-border communal attack in Benue

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights