Connect with us

News

Over N2.9 billion Disbursed to Families of NSCDC Officers Lost in Active Service

Published

on

Over N2.9 billion Disbursed to Families of NSCDC Officers Lost in Active Service

By: Michael Mike

Over N2.9 billion has been awarded to families of personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, who died in active service.

operations have been rewarded with payments of over 2.9 billon naira as insurance benefits.

Among the deceased who is benefit from the insurance cover enrolled by the NSCDC are Corps Commander Useni Nauokhi who died of shocks as a result of ambush laid by Boko Haram insurgents in Yobe State.

Nauokhi’s next of kin received a cheque of N12.9 million on behalf of the family from the Commandant General of the Corps, Dr. Ahmed Audi at the NSCDC Headquarters in Abuja on Friday.

The daughter of Assistant Commandant General, (ACG) Helen Amakiri Omavvayen also collected a cheque of N23.5 million naira as benefits for her mother who died in active service last year.

Others were Commandant Isaiah Madina who died in active service in Maiduguri, Borno state. The family collected a cheque of N17.7 million naira as benefits.

The family of late Commander Sanya Wasiu got N11.4 million, late Commander Ogbonayya Ifeyinwa family got N11.9 million, and the family of Assistant Corps Commander, Peter Lillian got N7.1 million.

Explaining details of the disbursement to Senior management officers of the Corps during the Commandant General’s Quarterly Meeting in Abuja, Audi said the disbursement of a total of N2.9 billion covered 150 officers’ claims approved for payments by the government.

Audi commended the officers who died during insurgents activities for their gallantry, noting insurgency was an asymmetric war that the military and security agencies are prepared to subdue with modern strategy/tactics in warfare.

He disclosed that the Quarterly Council meeting was aimed at reviewing challenges, progress recorded so far and brainstorming on the core policies of the Corps to ensure peace and security for Nigeria.

Audi said within the past three years, the Corps have prevented 103 kidnappers attacks on both public and private schools, out of 81,000 schools across Nigeria.

He noted that the Safe Schools Initiative manned by the Female Squad had done excellent jobs to engage would be intruders and kidnappers in about 60,000 schools discovered to be vulnerable to attacks for lack of perimeter fencing and security posts.

He added that the Corps had also intercepted and arrested 20 trailers loaded with vandalized rail tracks, while 350 illegal refineries have been destroyed in the south-south region within the past three years.

Audi commended his personnel for their courage and excellent performances during joint operations with the military and other security agencies, saying that they have proven their relevance in the security architecture of the country.

He also praised President Bola Tinubu and the Minister of Interior, Dr Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo for attending to the welfare of the personnel, saying that it was their approval that ended era of stagnation in the Service as over 3000 personnel were promoted this year alone.

Over N2.9 billion Disbursed to Families of NSCDC Officers Lost in Active Service

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Published

on

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

By: Michael Mike

The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) through the deployment of secure digital identity systems aimed at improving governance, enhancing national security, and expanding access to public services.

Speaking at a digital conference in Abuja themed “Building Africa’s Digital Foundations Together,” the Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of NIMC, Abisoye Coker-Odusote, represented by the Head of Infrastructure Technology and Identity Databases, Mr. Sulaiman Falade, said the commission is driving reforms and institutional partnerships to build an inclusive and interoperable digital identity ecosystem.

According to her, the National Identification Number (NIN) has become central to Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda, serving as a key tool for identity verification, biometric authentication, and access to both government and private sector services.

She noted that following the Presidential Directive issued on April 5, 2024, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) were mandated to integrate the NIN into digital services, particularly in areas involving data capture, identity verification, and authentication processes.

Coker-Odusote stated that NIMC has already established implementation structures to ensure compliance with the directive and to deepen the adoption of digital identity solutions across the country.

She further stressed that the Federal Government’s vision is to establish a unified, secure, and transparent digital identity framework capable of supporting efficient service delivery and accountability in governance.

The NIMC boss added that the commission is also advancing Nigeria’s broader digital governance goals through the deployment of the National Public Key Infrastructure (nPKI), a system designed to strengthen trust in digital transactions, safeguard citizens’ data, and promote secure online interactions.

She called on stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to continue supporting the implementation of Nigeria’s digital identity ecosystem, noting that the initiative is critical to national development and economic growth.

According to her, NIMC remains committed to leveraging technology and innovation to build a more connected, efficient, and resilient nation.

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Published

on

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

By: Michael Mike

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary election in Mafa Ward of Borno State, securing all valid votes cast in the exercise held in the home ward of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum.

The direct primary election took place at Mafa Central Primary School under the supervision of the Chairperson of the Presidential Primary Election Committee, Hajiya Inna Alkali Imam.

According to the results announced at the ward level, Tinubu polled 2,175 votes, representing 100 per cent of the valid votes cast during the exercise. Out of the 2,277 registered APC members in the ward, 2,175 were accredited and participated in the voting process.

Tinubu’s challenger, Stanley Osifo, an APC chieftain and businessman from Edo State, failed to secure any vote in the ward.

Governor Zulum, who served as the Coordinator and Collation Officer for the presidential primary in the state, said he participated in the exercise as an indigene of Mafa Ward.

“I am from Mafa Ward, and that is why I am here to witness and participate in the exercise. We have two candidates, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Mr Stanley Osifo,” Zulum stated.

The governor also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and the turnout of party members.

“So far so good, we have conducted the presidential primary election for Mafa Ward, and I am very impressed with the turnout. We have a total of about 2,277 registered party members in Mafa Ward, out of which 2,175 were accredited for the voting, and all of them voted for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while the other candidate scored zero,” he said.

The APC presidential primary is ongoing in several states across the country, with the party expected to collate and announce final nationwide results at a later date.

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Continue Reading

News

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Published

on

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

By: Our Reporter

The 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has recounted a touching childhood memory about former Nigerian Head of State Yakubu Gowon, portraying him as a compassionate leader who extended personal support to the family of a military officer killed during the 1966 coup.

Speaking during an interview on Signature TV, Sanusi reflected on his early years at St Anne’s Secondary School in Kaduna, where he attended school alongside Yusuf Pam, the son of the late Colonel Joseph Pam, one of the victims of the January 1966 Nigerian coup.

The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria recalled that despite the demands of national leadership, Gowon took a personal interest in the wellbeing of Yusuf following the loss of his father. According to Sanusi, the former Head of State frequently sent handwritten letters to the young boy, signing them “Uncle Joe.”

“What I remember at the age of eight was that General Gowon, as Head of State, would send a handwritten letter to Yusuf signed ‘Uncle Joe.’ That is a window into the person you are dealing with,” Sanusi said.

The Emir noted that the gesture has remained vivid in his memory over the years because it revealed a caring and humane side of leadership during one of the most turbulent periods in Nigeria’s history. He suggested that Gowon’s actions reflected empathy and a sense of responsibility toward families affected by the political upheaval of the time.

Colonel Pam was among several prominent figures who lost their lives during the 1966 coup, a pivotal event that reshaped Nigeria’s political landscape and contributed to years of instability and conflict that followed.

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights