Connect with us

News

Regional Bodies, Integration Key to Deepening Democracy in Africa – President Tinubu

Published

on

Regional Bodies, Integration Key to Deepening Democracy in Africa – President Tinubu

*Demands sub-regional action to boost intra-African trade

By: Our Reporter

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has called for the strengthening of regional economic communities to drive integration and trade ties among African nations in order to deepen democracy and accelerate development across the continent.

He said through bitter experience, Nigeria has learned that the solution to poor democratic governance is to have more democracy.

President Tinubu who made the call during the Summit on the State of Democracy in Africa on Wednesday in Abuja called for revitalization of sub-regional blocs like the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), East African Community (EAC) and Southern African Development Community (SADC) as vehicles to usher in an era of robust intra-African commerce, economic growth and job creation.

The President who was represented at the vent by Vice President Kashim Shettima said, “The immense potential of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) can only be maximally realized when there is concrete economic integration and collaboration at the different sub-regional levels,”

Delivering the keynote address, President Tinubu urged the regional bodies to prioritize minimizing trade barriers, promoting sustainable and inclusive economic growth, human capital development as well as value addition in agriculture and agro-allied sectors.

“We must deliberate on ways through which African sub-regional organizations can help foster better intra-African trade, achieve better food and energy security, promote higher rates of youth employment, alleviate poverty and realize greater prosperity for our people,” the President said.

President Tinubu noted that a reinvigorated sub-regional cooperation is critical for the successful implementation of the path-breaking AfCFTA by harmonising rules and regulations to facilitate the free movement of goods, services and people.

While acknowledging the “despair about democratic reversals” due to recent military coups, he expressed optimism about polls held successfully in nations like Liberia, Kenya, Ghana and Nigeria.

He said, “The tragedies of our nations and histories inspire our concern about the reversals of democratic governments, particularly in West Africa. That’s why we are alarmed by the military coups in Mali, Guinea Conakry, Burkina Faso, Niger Republic, and Gabon.”

The president however advocated discussions on empowering regional blocs to establish well-funded standby military forces “to help contain military adventurers and the rampaging waves of terrorism and religious extremism.”

President Tinubu urged African leaders to respect constitutional tenets like term limits, and ensure credible elections and autonomous institutions through the African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) to achieve democratic consolidation.

“This Summit must discuss ways of making the APRM contribute to achieving good governance and democratic consolidation on the continent,” he stated.

Declaring that Africa can no longer be the “doormat of the world with street beggar economies”, President Tinubu called for concrete measures through reinvented regional bodies to boost trade, enhance security and entrench constitutional democracy for development and prosperity.

Earlier in his keynote remarks, former President of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, said the answer to the myriad of challenges confronting democracy in Africa is in re-examining the model of democracy passed on to countries in the continent by their colonial masters.

He said leaders across the continent must come together to devise a form of contextual democracy that takes into account past experiences, addresses contemporary challenges and emphasises good leadership, strong institutions, and a stable middle class, all reflecting Africa’s rich cultural heritage.

The former President who expressed concern about the growing discontent for democracy in the continent opined that the model that will work for Africa is one that takes into account the typical and predominant political system, and is “suitably and appropriately placed to serve the objectives of the African people”.

In her goodwill message, the UN Deputy Secretary-General and Chair of the SDGs, Dr Amina Mohammed, said the active participation of women and young people in politics, and other decision-making processes will strengthen democracy in the continent.

She drew the attention of authorities in the continent to the effective implementation of laws, adherence to the tenets of accountability, and improved investment in democratic institutions, noting that they are critical to the sustenance of democracy in Africa and beyond.

On his part, the former President of the Nigerian Bar Association and member of the Board of Directors, Shehu Musa Yar’adua Foundation, Abubakar Mahmoud (SAN), said the focus of the summit, which is “the state of democracy in Africa”, aligns to the cornerstone of the Foundation’s mission and vision.

He said participants at the summit are expected to thoroughly interrogate the model of democracy practiced in Africa vis a vis current challenges experienced in the continent, to resolve the lingering issues and reshape democracy in the continent.

Also present at the event were the President of the Ford Foundation, Mr. Darren Walker; Executive Director of Trust Africa, Dr. Ebrima Sall, and Co-Founder of Afrobarometer, Prof. Gyimah Boadi, among others.

Regional Bodies, Integration Key to Deepening Democracy in Africa – President Tinubu

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara

Published

on

Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara

By: Zagazola Makama

The Police Command in Zamfara says its operatives have recovered 15 cows rustled by armed bandits during an attack on Gidan Kwagiri village in Damba District of Gusau Local Government Area.

Security sources said the incident occurred at about 1:30 a.m. on Feb. 15 when the bandits invaded the community and carted away cows and sheep belonging to residents.

According to the sources, upon receiving the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Damba Division mobilised personnel alongside patrol teams from the Department of Operations to pursue the attackers.

The team was said to have successfully recovered 15 cows, which were subsequently handed over to their owners.

Efforts, however, are ongoing to track down the suspects and recover the remaining rustled animals, while security patrols have been intensified in the area to forestall further attacks.

Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara

Continue Reading

News

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Published

on

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.

Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.

He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Continue Reading

News

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Published

on

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

By: Zagazola Makama

The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.

The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights