International
Rights Lawyer Condemns Kidnap Of Capt Mehrtens By Separatist Rebels In Papau, Indonesia
Rights Lawyer Condemns Kidnap Of Capt Mehrtens By Separatist Rebels In Papau, Indonesia
By: Michael Mike
Human Right Activist and lawyer, Maryam Musa Sambo has condemn in strong words and terms the kidnapping and hostage taking of Captain Phillip Mark Mehrtens, by the armed Separatist rebels in Indonesia’s restive Papua province.
Barrister Sambo who is also a member of the Internnational Federation of Women (FIDA) Lawyers, described the kidnap of Captain Mehrtens as cruel, inhumane, degrading and a flagrant violation of his fundamental human rights which is enshrined in several international Laws.
She appealed to the group to release the pilot in respect for human rights and so he can reunite with his family.
“I therefore Appeal to the Armed Separatist Group led by Egianus Kogoya to immediately release the pilot from their custody out of respect for Human Dignity, Human Values and Human Rights. I am equally positive that Nigeria as a country with strong diplomatic ties with Indonesia will support and provide all the necessary help the Republic of Indonesia will need to tackle this menace,” she pleaded.
It would be recalled that Phillip Mark Mehrtens of Christchurch, a pilot for Indonesian aviation company Susi Air, in February was abducted by independence fighters from the West Papua Liberation Army, the armed wing of the Free Papua Movement, who stormed his single-engine plane shortly after it landed on a small runway in Paro in remote Nduga district.
The plane, carrying five passengers, was scheduled to pick up 15 construction workers who had been building a health center in Paro after a group of separatist rebels led by Egianus Kogoya threatened to kill them, said Nduga district chief Namia Gwijangge.
In a statement by Rights lawyer, Barrister Sambo on Thursday in Abuja, she said: “The recent Kidnaping and hostage taking of Captain Phillip Mark Mehrtems, a pilot for the Indonesian aviation company Susi Airways is one of the most recent insurgence of the Armed Separatist Group.
“The incident is said to be part of the “Free Papua Movement” as was later confirmed by the leader of the Armed Separatist Group Egianus Kogoya when he said in a video with a man standing next to him that;
“I took him (Captain Phillip Mark Mehrtens) hostage for Papua Independence not for food or drinks. He will be safe with me as long as Indonesia does not use its arms, either from the air or on the ground”.
Separatist rebels in Indonesia’s restive Papua region released a video Wednesday appearing to show the New Zealand pilot they took hostage in February saying that recent Indonesian military attacks threatened his safety.
Papua Province was incorporated into the Republic of Indonesia in 1969 after a United Nation’s sponsored ballot. Since then, a low-level of insurgency has simmered within the province.
According to Sambo, It is therefore clear that no person shall be subjected to such cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment.
She stated: “Some of these rights are expressly captured and unambiguously stated in Article 1, Article 3, Article 5 and Article 12 of the United Nation’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Article 4, Article 5 and 16 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
“The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) also in strong terms protects the Fundamental Rights of individuals as enshrined in Section 34 and 35 of the constitution.
“All the above cited laws frowns against the violation of the Right to Respect and Integrity of a Person, Right to Respect and Dignity inherent in a person, Right to personal Liberty, Freedom of Movement, Right to best attainable state of Physical and Mental Health.
“It is also worthy of note that Kidnapping is a capital offence contained in Nigerian Criminal (substantive) Laws of various states of the nation, which carries the maximum punishment of life imprisonment. It is insensitive, unacceptable, illegal and totally unreasonable to take a person hostage in what so ever guise.
“Papua is a legitimate part of the Republic of Indonesia and that is not going to change by breaking the Law and outright disregard and violation of the Fundamental Human Rights of innocent people”.
In the video sent to media by the spokesperson of the West Papua Liberation Army, the armed wing of the Free Papua Movement, known as OPM, a man in handcuffs and a black shirt is identified as Philip Mark Mehrtens of Christchurch, a pilot for Indonesian aviation company Susi Air who was abducted by the group’s independence fighters.
Sitting on a wooden log and flanked by two men, apparently members of the group, he said in the video recorded Monday: “It’s almost three months since OPM kidnapped me from Paro. As you can see, I’m still alive and I’m healthy and eating well.”
Sambo said earlier the rebels carried out the attack in retaliation for Indonesia’s “massive military operation” in Papua and the killings of two rebels in a shootout with security forces last month.
While living with his abductors, but lately he has been worried about military attacks launched by the Indonesian army following a deadly ambush by the rebels on April 15 that killed at least five Indonesian soldiers who were deployed to rescue him.
The five Indonesian army troops were killed after rebels attacked 36 soldiers in Nduga district in Papua Highlands province.
The kidnapping of the pilot was the second that independence fighters have committed since 1996, when the rebels abducted 26 members of a World Wildlife Fund research mission in Mapenduma. Two Indonesians in that group were killed by their abductors, but the remaining hostages were eventually freed within five months.
The pilot kidnapping reflects the deteriorating security situation in Indonesia’s easternmost region of Papua, a former Dutch colony in the western part of New Guinea that is ethnically and culturally distinct from much of Indonesia.
Sambo, prayed that the victim of this heinous crime Captain Phillip Mehrtens be released so that he will re-unite with his family as soon as humanly possible and in good health too.
Rights Lawyer Condemns Kidnap Of Capt Mehrtens By Separatist Rebels In Papau, Indonesia
International
Cuba Condemns U.S. Accusation Against Raúl Castro, Defends 1996 Airspace Action
Cuba Condemns U.S. Accusation Against Raúl Castro, Defends 1996 Airspace Action
By: Michael Mike
The government of Cuba has strongly condemned what it described as a “despicable accusation” by the United States Department of Justice against former Cuban leader Raúl Castro, escalating tensions between Havana and Washington over a decades-old incident involving the downing of two civilian aircraft.
In a statement issued Wednesday by the Cuban Revolutionary Government in Havana, authorities rejected the reported U.S. legal action announced on May 20, saying Washington lacked both “legitimacy and jurisdiction” to accuse Castro over the February 1996 incident involving aircraft operated by the Miami-based anti-Castro group Brothers to the Rescue.
The Cuban government argued that the aircraft had repeatedly violated Cuban airspace in the years leading up to the incident and maintained that the response by Cuban forces constituted an act of “legitimate self-defense” under international law.
The controversy centers on the 1996 shootdown of two Brothers to the Rescue planes by Cuban fighter jets, an incident that killed four people and triggered international condemnation at the time. The aircraft were reportedly engaged in missions linked to Cuban exile activism and humanitarian operations.
In its latest statement, Havana said the United States ignored repeated warnings and formal complaints made by Cuba between 1994 and 1996 to U.S. authorities, including the State Department, the Federal Aviation Administration and the International Civil Aviation Organization, over alleged incursions into Cuban airspace.
Cuba accused Washington of distorting the historical record and overlooking what it described as more than 25 deliberate violations of Cuban airspace by the organization during that period.
The statement further claimed that U.S. authorities failed to act despite warnings from Cuba about the potential consequences of continued flights near or over Cuban territory.
Havana also criticized what it called the “double standards” of the United States on issues of sovereignty and national security, arguing that Washington itself would not tolerate unauthorized foreign aircraft entering its airspace under hostile circumstances.
The Cuban government additionally linked the accusation against Castro to broader U.S. sanctions and longstanding hostility toward the communist-led island, describing American measures against Cuba as “collective punishment” and an “energy blockade.”
Relations between the United States and Cuba have remained strained for decades, shaped by political tensions dating back to the 1959 Cuban Revolution led by Fidel Castro. Although there have been intermittent efforts at diplomatic rapprochement, disputes over human rights, sanctions, migration and security issues continue to complicate bilateral ties.
The United States authorities had not immediately issued a detailed public response to Cuba’s latest statement as of Wednesday evening.
Cuba concluded its statement by reaffirming support for Raúl Castro and reiterating its commitment to defending the country’s sovereignty and socialist system.
Cuba Condemns U.S. Accusation Against Raúl Castro, Defends 1996 Airspace Action
International
NIGERIA AND CHINA: A PARTNERSHIP BUILT ON MUTUAL RESPECT, TRUST AND SHARED STRATEGIC INTEREST- NCSP
NIGERIA AND CHINA: A PARTNERSHIP BUILT ON MUTUAL RESPECT, TRUST AND SHARED STRATEGIC INTEREST- NCSP
By: Joseph Tegbe
When President Donald Trump arrived in Beijing alongside America’s most powerful business executives, the world was reminded that economic interdependence remains one of the most powerful forces in international relations. Beneath the trade and investment agenda, however, ran a question China has never left unanswered, the One-China Principle, and Beijing’s absolute, unwavering commitment to it.
For China, this is a matter of sovereign certainty. The People’s Republic of China is the world’s only legitimate Chinese government, and Taiwan is an inalienable part of its territory. This is not a position Beijing has hedged or softened across decades of shifting global politics. It is the bedrock on which China conducts its diplomacy and evaluates the reliability of its partners.
China’s consistency on this question reflects not inflexibility, but the depth of a national conviction rooted in history, sovereignty and the long arc of Chinese civilisation, and for nations that share these values, China has proven to be a committed and consequential partner.
Nigeria is one such nation. Since establishing diplomatic relations with Beijing in 1971, Nigeria has maintained a clear, principled and unbroken adherence to the One-China Principle.
This position flows directly from Nigeria’s own foreign policy tradition, grounded in respect for sovereignty, principle of non-interference and the belief that nations must be free to determine their own paths. Nigeria and China share a philosophical foundation that gives their relationship a depth that goes well beyond transactional interest.
That shared foundation received its most authoritative expression when President Bola Ahmed Tinubu met President Xi Jinping in Beijing in 2024. The joint statement was unequivocal: Nigeria affirmed adherence to the One-China Principle, recognised the Government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal authority representing the whole of China, regarded Taiwan as an inalienable part of Chinese territory, and expressed full support for China’s pursuit of national reunification.
These were not words of diplomatic courtesy. They were the deliberate reaffirmation of a partnership grounded in mutual respect and long-term strategic alignment.
Nigeria’s legislature has reinforced this position with equal clarity. Recently, the Hon Jafar Yakubu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on China-Nigeria Parliamentary Relations recently confirmed that Nigeria’s stance is clear, consistent and firmly rooted in international law and bilateral agreements. Nigeria’s commitment to the One-China Principle is not the policy of one administration. It is a settled, cross-institutional expression of national conviction.
This consistency is a strategic asset, one that Nigeria deploys with purpose through the Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership. Five decades of diplomatic reliability have built a genuine reservoir of political trust with Beijing.
The NCSP’s mandate is to translate that trust into a new and more productive phase of economic cooperation: manufacturing investment, technology transfer, industrial development and export-oriented production that reflects Nigeria’s true scale and potential as Africa’s largest economy.
China has already contributed meaningfully to Nigeria’s railway corridors, port infrastructure, energy infrastructure, telecommunications networks and industrial capacity. However, the relationship can and must deliver more.
Nigeria’s digital economy, solid minerals sector, agro-processing capacity and consumer market all represent areas of deep mutual interest. With a transparent, results-oriented framework aligned with Nigeria’s national development priorities, the NCSP can move the partnership decisively from infrastructure financing toward genuine industrialisation.
NCSP continues to strengthen bilateral collaboration with China across trade, investment, technology transfer, infrastructure and capacity building, with a clear mandate to deliver measurable, tangible value to Nigeria’s economy.
Joseph Tegbe is the Director-General of Nigeria-China Strategic Partnership
NIGERIA AND CHINA: A PARTNERSHIP BUILT ON MUTUAL RESPECT, TRUST AND SHARED STRATEGIC INTEREST- NCSP
International
FBI Arrests Nigerian Extradited to U.S. Over Alleged $Romance Scam Targeting Elderly Victims
FBI Arrests Nigerian Extradited to U.S. Over Alleged $Romance Scam Targeting Elderly Victims
By: Michael Mike
Nigerian Extradited to U.S. as FBI Cracks Alleged International Romance Scam Network Targeting Elderly Americans
Michael Olugbode in Abuja
A Nigerian national, Samuel Ugberaese, has been extradited to the United States to face prosecution over an alleged international romance fraud and money laundering scheme that reportedly targeted elderly victims across the U.S. and other countries.
The arrest followed coordinated operations involving American and Nigerian law enforcement agencies, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the U.S. Department of Justice.
Ugberaese was arrested by the FBI after being extradited from Nigeria to the United States, where he is now facing charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering before the U.S. District Court in North Carolina.
Authorities said a federal grand jury in the Eastern District of North Carolina had earlier returned an indictment against him on January 22, 2021.
According to court documents, Ugberaese and his alleged accomplices operated sophisticated romance scams in which victims were manipulated through fake emotional relationships, fabricated stories and false promises before being persuaded to transfer money.
Prosecutors alleged that the suspect collaborated with co-defendant Oluwadamilare Kolaogunbule, a naturalised U.S. citizen, to move and conceal proceeds of the alleged fraud through a network of bank accounts, including accounts linked to purported export companies.
Investigators claimed the financial transactions were designed to disguise the origin, ownership and movement of illicit funds obtained from victims.
Ugberaese appeared before United States Magistrate Judge Brian S. Myers, who ordered that he remain in custody pending trial.
If convicted on both counts, the Nigerian suspect could face up to 40 years imprisonment under U.S. federal law.
American authorities disclosed that the extradition process involved extensive international cooperation among several agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Department of State, the Nigeria Police Force through INTERPOL, Nigeria’s Ministry of Justice and Attorney General’s Office, as well as the South African Police Service.
The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Adam F. Hulbig of the Fraud Section in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
U.S. authorities, however, stressed that the indictment remains only an allegation and that Ugberaese is presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.
FBI Arrests Nigerian Extradited to U.S. Over Alleged $Romance Scam Targeting Elderly Victims
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
