News
Shettima Says Innovation Key to Putting Nigeria in Rightful Position on World Map
Shettima Says Innovation Key to Putting Nigeria in Rightful Position on World Map
By: Michael Mike
Vice-President Kashim Shettima has said that innovation is essential to attainment of Nigeria’s dream of becoming one of the top countries in the world, urging Nigerians to bring up innovative ideas and actions to advance the ongoing transformation agenda in the country.
Speaking at the third i-FAIR cohorts graduation ceremony of the nine-month mentorship programme for budding innovators and entrepreneurs on Thursday in Abuja, the Vice President implored Nigerians to support the Israel-Nigeria Innovation Fellowship for Aspiring Inventors and Researchers (i-FAIR) initiative to advance the transformation agenda in the country.
Shettima who was represented by the Special Adviser to the President on Economic Affairs in the Office of the Vice-President, Mr Tope Fasua, commendded the graduands for boosting the Nigerian population efforts to achieve the transformation agenda of the Federal Government.
He said: “We live in a kinetically dynamic and digital world, where we are seeing today’s reality and tomorrow’s innovation by power of technology, Artificial Intelligence (AI), machine learning, internet and others.
“We commend the Innov8Hub for what it has been doing so far amongst our youth and the innovative at heart.
“We have seen numerous innovative display, many of which have been commercialized and are having impact on Nigeria and beyond.
“We believe this is merely the beginning, I appeal to all and sundry to show maximal support to the idea behind the hub, as it is indeed transformative.
“Our very survival in a fast paced world depends on it.”
The Ambassador of Israel to Nigeria Michael Freeman, on his part, said the programme comprised twelve components spanning health, climate change, and agriculture, and embodies the spirit of innovation and resilience.
“I-FAIR was established by the Israeli embassy in collaboration with the Nigerian government; this initiative epitomizes the collaboration and innovation pivotal to the Israel-Nigeria relationship.
“President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope agenda resonates deeply with the ethos of the i-FAIR programme in championing empowerment, growth, and prosperity for Nigeria.
“This is with a focus on nurturing the talents of our youth, this programme aligns seamlessly with President Tinubu’s vision of propelling Nigeria towards excellence, notably in digital economy where job creation is paramount.”
He attributed success so far achieved to invaluable partnership by the embassy with TetFund, Air Peace and Zell Innov8 and other collaborators, whose unwavering support has been instrumental in shaping the transformative journey.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar, represented by Ambassador Bolaji Akinremi, Director, Economic, Trade and Investment at the ministry, traced the success of the programme to the partnership between Israel and Nigeria.
Tuggar said, “This is evidence of innovation. We have no doubt this government and the administration standout as the most innovative government Nigeria ever had.
“It is pertinent to mention that the idea of I-FAIR is predicated on the need to overcome domestic challenges with innovative made in-Nigeria solutions tailored around inspiring Nigeria to become a start-up nation.”
Minister of Communication, Innovation and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijani, said it was important to prioritise transformation agenda to achieve meaningful growth.
He said:We must prioritise the complete deployment of fibre active network which Nigeria must achieve in the next two-three years and we have backing of the President.
“Also, for AI, every developed country in the world is freaking out about development in AI. For the reality, they do not have the workforce to power it.
“If we do not take advantage of being part of the AI, even if it is just to provide the workforce, we are wasting time.
“In the two to three years, AI will prompt how you think and what you do. AI will prompt development,” he said.
Shettima Says Innovation Key to Putting Nigeria in Rightful Position on World Map
News
Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded
Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded
By: Zagazola Makama
At least one soldier was killed and five others wounded during a night attack on a Battalion of the Rapid Intervention Brigade (BIR) post along the Cameroon-Nigeria border in Bargaram.
Zagazola learnt that the incident occurred between the night of Feb. 18 and the early hours of Feb. 19 at approximately 01:00 a.m., when armed assailants launched an assault on the military installation.

The attack resulted in the death of Private Second Class WAKOM Spkassa Barthélémy (Service No. T2024/53715), while five soldiers sustained injuries, including one reported in critical condition.
Security forces reportedly engaged the attackers, neutralizing five terrorists and recovering a significant cache of weapons and ammunition. Items seized include eight AK-47 rifles, a PKM machine gun, one anti-personnel rocket, two anti-tank rockets, a grenade launcher, 11 AK-47 magazine boxes, 242 rounds of 7.62 x 54 mm ammunition, 121 rounds of 7.62 x 39 mm ammunition, a motorcycle, and a camera.
The wounded soldiers were evacuated to the District Hospital of Mada for medical treatment, while the body of the fallen soldier was transferred to the mortuary of the Regional Hospital of Maroua.
Authorities have been urged intensified security measures along the border region to prevent further attacks and maintain operational readiness.
Attack on BIR Post in Bargaram Leaves One Soldier Dead, Five Wounded
News
Nigerian Army decimates bandits, rescues captives in Niger State
Nigerian Army decimates bandits, rescues captives in Niger State
By: Zagazola Makama
The Nigerian Army has successfully neutralised armed bandits and rescued numerous captives in a recent operation across Eriya and A’ure communities of Mariga Local Government Area, as well as border areas of Magama LGA in Niger State.
According to sources, the operation targeted bandits who had migrated from the Ibbi–Zugurma sector of Kainji National Park. While relocating from their former camp in Ibbi Forest, the criminals reportedly attacked civilians along their route, killing some and abducting others, while transporting previously kidnapped victims.
Troops from Warari Forward Operating Base (FOB) and Gulbin Boka FOB, Kontagora Barracks, engaged the criminals in a series of coordinated assaults, neutralising a significant number of terrorists. Several fleeing bandits sustained gunshot injuries, diminishing their capacity to regroup or carry out further attacks.
The operation also led to the successful rescue of men, women, and children who had been held in captivity. Military officials described the intervention as a demonstration of superiority, discipline, and unwavering commitment to protecting innocent lives.
The military sources lauded the bravery and professionalism of the troops, highlighting their contribution to restoring peace and confidence in the affected communities.
Efforts to sustain operational pressure on bandits in the region continue, with the sources urging communities to cooperate with security agencies to ensure lasting peace and stability.
Nigerian Army decimates bandits, rescues captives in Niger State
News
JUDGE’S INTERVENTION SAVES IGP EGBETOKUN FROM COMMITTAL TO KUJE PRISON
JUDGE’S INTERVENTION SAVES IGP EGBETOKUN FROM COMMITTAL TO KUJE PRISON
By: Michael Mike
The committal proceedings instituted against the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun by Mrs Nnena Anozie, the traumatized and frustrated wife of abducted and missing Mr. John Anozie came up for hearing on Tuesday, the 17th February 2025 before the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.
At the beginning of the proceedings, Mrs Anozie’s Counsel, Vincent Adodo, recounted the facts of the case from the abduction of Mr. John Anozie from his Lekki Lagos residence on 15th June 2017 by police officers from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Akwuzu, Anambra State, two separate orders made by the Anambra State High Court directed at the Police to charge Mr. Anozie to court or release him unconditionally, and another directing the police to release his corpse for burial following the claim by the police that Mr. Anozie had died in their custody.
Following an investigation conducted by the IGP X-Squad of the Police Force Headquarters based on a petition presented by Mrs Anozie in 2018, the investigation report indicted four officers in the crime whose names are: ASP Anthony Ikechukwu Obiozor, Sgt. Emeana Uzozhukwu, SP. Sunday Okpe, John Eze and Oriole all from SARS, Akwuzu, Anambra State.
Investigation also revealed that the named officers made heavy withdrawals from Mr. Anozie’s bank account just about 4 days after his abduction.
Despite the issuance of a legal opinion by the then Commissioner of Police in Charge of Legal, CP Tuesday Emienbo recommending the named officers for dismissal from service, arraignment and prosecution, nothing was done to bring the culprits to justice. Another petition written in 2023 by Falana and Falana Chambers led to the re-opening of investigation in the matter which was led by one Chinedu from the IGP-Monitoring Unit.
The refusal of the police authorities to arraign and prosecute the culpable officers despite the avalanche of evidence indicting them in Mr. Anozie’s disappearance prompted Mrs Anozie to request under the Freedom of Information Act 2011 for the certified true copies of the two investigation reports and the legal opinion of Mr Emienbo and for same to be forwarded to the office of the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation. The request also included a demand to the IGP to handover the officers to the AGF for prosecution. The police authorities failed to honour the request, further prompting the institution of an action before the Federal High Court under the Freedom of Information Act in SUIT NO: FHC/ABJ/CS/865/2025: Mrs Nnena Anozie v. Inspector General of Police to compel the release of the case files and the officers for prosecution.
On 24th September 2025, the Federal High Court, Abuja presided over by Hon. Justice B.F.M. Nyako delivered judgement in the case ordering the IGP to, among others, release the investigation reports and legal opinion to Mrs Anozie and the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation while also awarding the sum of #2,000,000.00 as damages against the police.
Despite service of the judgment with Form 48 on him, the IGP failed to obey the judgment, prompting the service on him of form 49 and subsequently a motion to commit the IGP to Kuje prison for contempt.
At the proceedings on Tuesday, the 17th February 2026, Stanley Nwodo appearing for the IGP informed the court of the receipt of the judgment and that he filed a counter Affidavit to the committal motion. The presiding Judge, Justice Nyako after listening to Mrs Anozie’s story offered to intervene in the matter with a view to obtaining a lasting result on the case. Consequently, the court adjourned the contempt proceedings to the 23rd April 2026 for hearing.
JUDGE’S INTERVENTION SAVES IGP EGBETOKUN FROM COMMITTAL TO KUJE PRISON
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
