News
Troops Neutralise IPOB/ESN Fighter, Recover Weapons in Anambra Offensive
Troops Neutralise IPOB/ESN Fighter, Recover Weapons in Anambra Offensive
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Nigerian Army’s 185 Battalion, in collaboration with the Military Police, Department of State Services and local vigilantes, have neutralised an IPOB/ESN operative during an offensive operation in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State.
The operation was conducted at about 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 22, 2026, following intelligence on suspected IPOB/ESN strongholds at Obene Village and Abator Village, within the Ochuche and Umunankwo communities.

According to a military situation update obtained by Zagazola Makama, troops launched a dawn assault on the identified positions, forcing the terrorists to flee while engaging the advancing troops with gunfire.
The troops pursued the fleeing fighters and followed blood stains along their withdrawal route. One of the terrorists was subsequently neutralised, while the fleeing members of the group reportedly escaped with the corpse of another operative killed during the operation.
Troops recovered two pump-action guns, two motorcycles and materials suspected to be used for making improvised explosive devices, alongside other sundry items.
However, the operation suffered a fatal setback when a soldier, identified as Private Danladi Zakariya, stepped on an IED while troops were returning to their start line.
The explosive detonated in situ, causing severe injuries to the soldier. He was immediately evacuated to a hospital but unfortunately died from severe blood loss while being transported.
His remains have been deposited at the St. Charles Borromeo Hospital mortuary in Onitsha.

Despite the loss, the troops maintained control of the area and continued offensive operations against the suspected IPOB/ESN elements.
The military said the morale and fighting efficiency of the troops remained high as operations continued to deny the terrorists freedom of action within the area.
Troops Neutralise IPOB/ESN Fighter, Recover Weapons in Anambra Offensive
News
Troops Arrest Five Suspected Terrorist Logistics Suppliers in Borno
Troops Arrest Five Suspected Terrorist Logistics Suppliers in Borno
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Nigerian Army’s 18 Battalion, operating under Joint Task Force North East, Operation HADIN KAI and Operation DESERT SANITY V, have arrested five suspected terrorist logistics suppliers in Borno State.
The suspects were apprehended at about 7:52 p.m. on Thursday, August 21, after surveillance personnel attached to the battalion’s CCTV system spotted them within the frontage of the military location.
A military Special Situation Report obtained by Zagazola Makama identified the suspects as Umar Mohammed, 60; Abubakar Goni, 42; Abba Ali, 39; Umaru Yusuf, 30; and Ibrahim Bukar.

Following the sighting, troops were immediately mobilised and successfully apprehended the five suspects.
Preliminary investigation indicated that the route used by the suspects had been identified as a Boko Haram terrorist logistics axis where troops routinely conduct strangulation operations aimed at disrupting the movement of fighters, weapons, food and other supplies.
During interrogation, the suspects claimed to be charcoal workers and baobab fruit pickers.
The military said the suspects were being profiled and would subsequently be handed over to the 7 Military Intelligence Brigade for further investigation.

The development forms part of sustained intelligence-led operations by troops to identify and disrupt terrorist logistics networks operating within the North-East.
The military further stated that the general security situation across the theatre remained calm but unpredictable, while troops maintained satisfactory morale and fighting efficiency.
Troops Arrest Five Suspected Terrorist Logistics Suppliers in Borno
News
Troops Foil Terrorist Attack on Truck Along Gajiram-Mairari Road
Troops Foil Terrorist Attack on Truck Along Gajiram-Mairari Road
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force, North East, Operation HADIN KAI, under Operation DESERT SANITY V, have foiled an attempted attack by terrorists on commuters along the Gajiram-Mairari axis of Borno State.
The incident occurred at about 10:21 a.m. on Friday, August 21, when troops of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Gajiram, conducting a picketing operation along the Gajiram-Mairari Main Supply Route, observed suspected terrorists riding motorcycles emerging from a nearby bush.
According to a military Special Situation Report obtained by Zagazola Makama, the terrorists opened fire on a trailer truck, damaging one of its tyres with small-arms fire.

The troops immediately responded with superior firepower, forcing the terrorists to abandon their attack and flee into the surrounding area.
During the attack, the truck’s seat and side mirror were also damaged.
The troops subsequently assisted the driver and successfully extricated the vehicle from the scene, before returning to base at about 2:30 p.m.
The military said the general security situation across the theatre remained calm but unpredictable, while troops maintained satisfactory morale and fighting efficiency.
The incident underscores the continued threat posed by terrorists along major supply routes in the North-East, as security forces sustain patrols and protective operations to safeguard commuters and critical road networks.
Troops Foil Terrorist Attack on Truck Along Gajiram-Mairari Road
News
Group Accuses Police of Shifting Focus From Alleged Assault, Demands Independent Probe
Group Accuses Police of Shifting Focus From Alleged Assault, Demands Independent Probe
By: Michael Mike
The Coalition for Whistleblowers Protection and Press Freedom (CWPPF) has accused the FCT Police Command of shifting attention from the alleged assault of Pinnacle Daily Editor, Sunday Ogwu, to his conduct following the incident, describing the development as an attempt to divert attention from the substantive allegations.
The Coalition, in a follow-up statement issued on Saturday, renewed its call for an independent investigation into the alleged assault of Ogwu by police and Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN) personnel during an operation in Lugbe, Abuja, on August 19.
The demand followed a statement issued by the FCT Police Command on Friday through its spokesperson, SP Josephine Adeh, which criticised Ogwu for allegedly declining invitations to appear before the Command and for seemingly attempting to mobilise public sentiment and create undue pressure.
But CWPPF said the police statement failed to address the central issues raised by the journalist, including the alleged physical assault, use of an electric cable and destruction of his mobile phone.
“The Command’s 21 August statement does not address the substance of Mr Ogwu’s allegation. It does not confirm or deny that he was assaulted, does not identify the officers involved, and does not address the use of an electric cable or the destruction of his phone,” the Coalition said.
Instead, it said, the Command had focused “almost entirely” on Ogwu’s non-attendance at its headquarters.
CWPPF said Ogwu reported the incident personally to the FCT Police spokesperson at about 8:30 p.m. on August 19, approximately three hours after the alleged assault, before seeking legal advice and support from press-freedom organisations.
The Coalition argued that consulting lawyers and media-rights organisations before making a formal statement to the same police command allegedly involved in the incident was a reasonable precaution rather than an attempt to obstruct an investigation.
It further raised questions over conflicting accounts concerning the identity of the security personnel involved in the operation.
According to the Coalition, the FCT Police spokesperson had shortly after the incident told the International Centre for Investigative Reporting (ICIR), a member of CWPPF, that the officers involved were likely not under the FCT Command.
It said the Command’s subsequent statement had neither repeated nor clarified the claim.
CWPPF also cited an account attributed to the Lugbe Divisional Police Officer, CSP Ukorobo Uchenna C., who, when contacted by the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ), allegedly did not deny that an assault occurred but asked whether Ogwu had personally seen or spoken to him.
The Coalition said the response raised questions about the identity of the officers rather than addressing whether an assault occurred.
It also pointed to a separate publication by the Lugbe Community Security Committee which reportedly praised the Commissioner of Police and identified CSP Uchenna as having led an operation in the area on the same date.
According to CWPPF, the publication described the operation as an anti-drug exercise, while Ogwu and the Coalition had described it as a demolition operation.
The Coalition said the conflicting accounts made an independent investigation necessary.
“Taken together, CWPPF is concerned that the substantive allegation of assault risks being displaced by a competing narrative about the complainant’s conduct,” it said.
The Coalition further disclosed that Ogwu had sought medical attention for injuries allegedly sustained during the incident and was therefore unable to honour the police invitation.
It said the journalist had, however, committed to appearing before the Command on Monday, August 24, accompanied by his lawyers.
CWPPF said an investigation conducted entirely within the police command implicated in the allegation would create an “inherent perception problem”, irrespective of the intentions of individual officers.
It therefore called on the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, and the FCT Police Command to move the investigation to an independent mechanism outside the direct command structure implicated in the allegation.
The Coalition also demanded the public identification of the officers and unit deployed to the Lugbe Federal Housing Estate operation on August 19 and a reconciliation of that information with the earlier statement that the personnel involved might not have been under FCT Command.
It further called for the preservation and production of deployment records, operational orders, patrol vehicle logs and any available CCTV or body-camera footage relating to the operation.
CWPPF demanded an apology and full compensation for Ogwu’s allegedly destroyed mobile device, as well as payment of medical expenses arising from the incident.
It also urged the police to refrain from publicly characterising Ogwu’s conduct until the allegations against the officers involved had been transparently investigated.
The Coalition called for clear directives to all police divisions in the FCT affirming journalists’ right to document public operations without obstruction, seizure of equipment or physical harm.
“Journalism is not a crime, and documenting the public conduct of state agents is a constitutionally protected right, which has been judicially affirmed,” CWPPF said.
The Coalition comprises media, civil society and legal organisations, including Premium Times, Daily Trust, ICIR, the Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID), Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, Media Rights Agenda, Nigeria Union of Journalists, International Press Institute Nigeria, SERAP and other organisations.
It said it would continue monitoring the matter and support what it described as a credible, transparent and independent process capable of producing a satisfactory resolution.
Group Accuses Police of Shifting Focus From Alleged Assault, Demands Independent Probe
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions5 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions5 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics1 year ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
