Connect with us

News

U.S. House still in turmoil with no speaker elected on 2nd day of voting

Published

on

U.S. House still in turmoil with no speaker elected on 2nd day of voting

The U.S. House of Representatives remained in turmoil with no speaker elected on the second day of voting.

House members voted on Wednesday night to adjourn until noon Thursday, prolonging a historical political stalemate that has paralysed the lower chamber.

U.S. Congressman, Kevin McCarthy, a Republican from California, failed to secure enough votes three times earlier in the day due to intra-party division.

House members voted three times on Tuesday the opening day of the divided 118th Congress, but McCarthy fell short of the necessary votes to be the next speaker.

It was the first time a House speaker who maintained order, managed its proceedings, and governed the administration of its business on the lower chamber’s floor hadn’t been elected on the first ballot in 100 years.

The 435-seat House will have to vote until a speaker is elected with a majority of votes.

Before that, members cannot be sworn in and committees cannot be formed with the rest of the business stalled.

U.S. Congresswoman, Elissa Slotkin, a Michigan Democrat, tweeted that the infighting “isn’t just a shame for Republicans, it’s bad for the entire country.”

U.S. President, Joe Biden, a Democrat, reacted to the political drama surrounding the House speakership vote on Wednesday morning.

According to him, it’s embarrassing the way it’s taking so long.

“How do you think this looks to the rest of the world?

“It’s not a good look. It’s not a good thing,” Biden told reporters at the White House before leaving for Hebron, Kentucky.

McCarthy has the support of most House Republicans and former U.S. President, Donald Trump.

But a handful of hardliners have opposed his bid to lead the conference by arguing that he is insufficiently conservative while refusing to decentralise the speaker’s power.

The House has elected a speaker 127 times since 1789.

There have been 14 instances of speaker elections requiring multiple ballots.

Thirteen of 14 multiple-ballot elections occurred before the Civil War, when party divisions were more nebulous, according to Congressional historians.

The last time a speaker election required two or more votes on the floor happened in 1923.

Harvard legal scholar, Laurence Tribe, tweeted on Wednesday that the House of Representatives, unlike the Senate, was not a continuing body.

“It must reassemble itself without full constitutional authority every two years, like someone rebuilding a ship on the open seas.

“But when the voyage is this rough, that’s a sign of dysfunction,” Tribe said.

All House Democrats have voted for Congressman Hakeem Jeffries, a New York Democrat, to be the speaker.

Though it’s unlikely for Jeffries to attain the position, he is set to become the first African American lawmaker to lead a party in either chamber of the U.S. Congress.

Republicans flipped the House in the 2022 midterm elections while Democrats held onto their majority in the Senate.

The new Congress convened for the first time on Tuesday, with U.S. Vice President, Kamala Harris, presiding over the opening of the 100-people upper chamber in which Democrats control 51 seats versus 49 for Republicans.

Chuck Schumer from New York and Mitch McConnell from Kentucky remain the Senate majority leader and minority leader, respectively.

U.S. House still in turmoil with no speaker elected on 2nd day of voting

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

21 passengers rescued by troops as bandits attack multiple vehicles on Kogi highways, 2 security personnel killed

Published

on

21 passengers rescued by troops as bandits attack multiple vehicles on Kogi highways, 2 security personnel killed

By: Zagazola Makama

At least twenty-one passengers were rescued unhurt following coordinated attacks by armed bandits on multiple vehicles along Kogi State highways on Thursday, while two security personnel were confirmed dead during the ensuing rescue operations.

Sources reported that about 100 armed bandits attacked a Toyota Siena with registration number YAB 968 AX traveling from Oshogbo to Kaduna, a Toyota Hiace bus (7BGT-78LG) conveying passengers from Owo, Ondo State to Abuja.

Another Toyota Hiace (GKP 178 XA) from Abuja to Ekiti State, a Toyota Carina (JMU 648 AA) from Lokoja to Kabba, a Dangote truck transporting 900 bags of cement, and a J5 bus (FTA 313 XV) carrying bags of pepper from Kano to Lagos.

The attacks occurred around 2:00 p.m., leaving passengers vulnerable to abduction.

A joint rescue operation involving the 12 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Quick Response Units (QRU), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps vigilantes, local hunters, and other security operatives swiftly engaged the bandits in a gun duel.

The operation successfully secured the release of 21 passengers, including men, women, and infants. Rescued passengers include Moses Oladimeji, Adele Jacob, Obed Onche, Babayemi Ajayi, Funmilayo Ajayi, Samuel Olawoyin, Samuel Job, Jemima Joseph, Nanko Joseph, Enenche Paulina, Bright Enenche, Rachael Enenche, Deborah Enenche (9 days old), Bukola Clement, Toyin Clement, Glory Clement, Faith Clement, Peter Olawale, and the drivers of the Dangote truck and J5 bus.

Tragically, one soldier attached to the Oshokoshoko sector and one vigilante from Odoape lost their lives during the exchange of fire. Their identities are yet to be confirmed.

Rescue operations are ongoing to track down any remaining abducted victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

Communities along the highways remain on high alert following the attacks, highlighting the continued threat of organized banditry in Kogi State.

The operation demonstrates the effectiveness of coordinated efforts between military, vigilante, and local security forces in responding to large-scale armed bandit attacks, although the loss of personnel underscores the dangers faced by security operatives during such missions.

21 passengers rescued by troops as bandits attack multiple vehicles on Kogi highways, 2 security personnel killed

Continue Reading

News

Kogi communities reeling as fleeing bandits from Kwara kill four

Published

on

Kogi communities reeling as fleeing bandits from Kwara kill four

By: Zagazola Makama

Residents of several Kogi State communities are counting their losses after fleeing armed bandits from Kwara State, displaced by ongoing military clearance operations, stormed the area on Thursday morning, leaving four men dead.

According to local sources, the attackers, travelling on motorcycles, entered Kogi through bush paths from Patigi in Kwara State and moved through Bunu and Kiri communities, firing indiscriminately.

The victims included Dare Olorunfemi, 34, of Ihale community; John (surname unknown), 33, of Taki area; Abdul Siworo, 33, of Ike area; and Oladele Samuel, 25, of Ayetoro-Kiri community.

Eyewitnesses reported that the bandits, heavily armed and in large numbers, continued towards the Kakanda/Ankumi forest in Obajana, Lokoja Local Government Area, leaving the communities in shock and fear.

intelligence sources suggesting that the attackers have taken refuge around Masalacin Boka area.

Residents described the tension as “palpable,” urging urgent intervention to dislodge the bandits before they consolidate in the forests.

The incident illustrated the ripple effect of security operations in neighbouring states, as armed groups displaced by military offensives migrate and wreak havoc on adjacent communities, threatening livelihoods and local stability.

Efforts to safeguard the affected communities and prevent further attacks are ongoing by security forces.

Kogi communities reeling as fleeing bandits from Kwara kill four

Continue Reading

News

Police arrested four suspected kidnappers arrested, identified accomplices

Published

on

Police arrested four suspected kidnappers arrested, identified accomplices

By: Zagazola Makama

The Police have reportedly arrested four suspected kidnappers and their informants following the abduction of ten persons between Koso Likoro and Soba villages in Mashegu Local Government Area, Niger State.

Sources said the suspects were traced to a hideout around Ibbi Forest, where a joint operation led to the arrest of Sanda Dan, Mallam Wantau, and Atiku.

During interrogation, the suspects reportedly confessed and implicated Buba Maiyara, Mantile Alh Majo, and Bilya Musa Baushe, all from Koso village, as their accomplices.

In a subsequent operation, Manu Malami Shehu Maiyara was also arrested and admitted that his son, Buba Maiyara, together with his associates, were responsible for the abductions and cattle rustling in the area.

Sources said that the case remains under investigation.

Police arrested four suspected kidnappers arrested, identified accomplices

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights