News
UN: 140 aid workers kills, 460 others victims of major attacks globally Draft
UN: 140 aid workers kills, 460 others victims of major attacks globally
By Olatunji Omirin
The United Nations Resident Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Matthias Schmale has confirmed that a total number of 140 humanitarian workers were killed globally while 460 others were victims in 267 major attacks including Nigeria.
Mr. Matthias stated this an event to commemorating of World Humanitarian Day 2022, theme, “#ItTakesAVillage is built upon the metaphor, ‘It takes a village to raise a child.’ held in Maiduguri on Friday.
“Since 2016, 35 aid workers have been killed in north-east Nigeria, according to the Aid Worker Security Database (AWSD). Twenty-two have been wounded and 28 kidnapped. So far in 2022, six aid workers have been kidnapped and one has been killed in the region (AWSD).
“Globally, in 2021 some 460 aid workers were victims in 267 major attacks: 140 aid workers were killed, 203 seriously injured and 117 kidnapped. This marks the highest number of aid worker fatalities recorded since 2013, according to Humanitarian Outcomes,” he said.
According to him, the humanitarian community in north-east Nigeria honors all aid workers stepping up to respond each day to the crisis in the region by providing life-saving assistance to millions of women, children and men.
“Just as it takes a village to raise a child, it takes a whole community to help people in need; to provide urgent health care, shelter, food, protection, transportation, security, water and much more.
“Despite the many challenges in this crisis, we should all be immensely proud of the impact humanitarians have in north-east Nigeria.
“Through our combined effort our humanitarian ‘village’ delivered assistance to five million people last year. That assistance saved countless lives, improved living conditions, and protected the most vulnerable people,” said Mr. Schmale.
He urged as World Humanitarian Day also advocates for the safety and security of aid workers, who often work in volatile and unpredictable environments.
Mr. Schmale highlighted that, “As we celebrate this day, we must remember that 4.1 million people across the north-east are facing hunger, trying to cope with its dangerous repercussions. We must put them, and all crisis-affected people, at the center of World Humanitarian Day.”
He has reiterated the commitment of humanitarian community to supporting Borno and others hit by humanitarian crisis.
News
Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno
Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has assured displaced communities affected by insecurity that the government is working closely with the Nigerian military hierarchy to provide immediate humanitarian and long-term support.
Governor Zulum gave the assurance when he visited displaced persons in Monguno town on Sunday, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to ensuring dignified resettlement back to their ancestral communities.

While at the IDP camp, the governor interacted directly with displaced families as women, children and elderly residents gathered around him while he listened to their concerns.
“We have examined the situation critically alongside the hierarchy of the Nigerian military, and it has been concluded that we shall provide immediate humanitarian support to these displaced communities, especially in the areas of water, shelter, and sanitation,” Zulum stated.

“Apart from this, we shall also ensure that medium and longer-term sustainable solutions are being adopted, which is acceptable to this community and their ancestral home,” he said.
“We will improve the living conditions of the displaced persons; we will not allow our citizens to endure such hardship without urgent government intervention.”
He also urged residents to cooperate with security agencies by reporting suspicious movements and activities within their communities, noting that sustaining peace and security requires collective responsibility.
“Security is everybody’s business. Communities must continue to support security agencies with timely and useful information,” the governor stated.

Governor Zulum disclosed that there are over 50,000 returnees in Marte, stressing that plans were underway to facilitate the return of more displaced persons to the town as part of the medium and longer-term solution.
He immediately directed the Secretary to the State Government, the Commissioner for Local Government, the Commissioner for Internal Security, and the Chairman of Marte Local Government Area to work out the modalities for implementing the recommendations adopted.
The governor sympathized with the people affected by the recent insecurity and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to supporting them.
As part of the visit, Governor Zulum also met with health workers at the Monguno Eye Hospital, commending them for continuing to provide medical services despite difficult working conditions and limited resources. He announced financial support to improve their welfare and encourage greater commitment to healthcare delivery in the area.
The governor also visited the Commanding Officer of Forward Operation Base (FOB) Mairari for a security brief.
Governor Zulum was accompanied by the Senator representing Borno North, Senator Mohanmed Tahir Monguno; Speaker of Borno State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan, Member Representing Marte, Monguno, Nganzai, Hon. Bukar Talba, Secretary to the state government, Bukar Tijani, Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Prof. Usman Tar, Commissioner for Local Government and Emirate Affairs, Hon. Sugun Mai Mele, alongside other government officials.
Zulum Assures Immediate Relief Items, Dignified Resettlement of Displaced Persons in Monguno
News
Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest
Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of 103 Battalion operating under the Joint Task Force South-South Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) have discovered an illegal refining site in the Orashi National Forest in Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers State.
Military sources said the operation was conducted between 10:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on May 15, 2026, as part of ongoing anti-illegal bunkering operations in the Niger Delta region.
According to the sources, troops uncovered an illegal refining site containing one large drum oven, one reservoir, one large coolant, two receivers, two waste pits, and two galvanised pipes measuring about 50 metres each.
The site was suspected to have been used for the illegal processing of stolen crude oil and petroleum products.
The sources said the discovered items were handled in accordance with operational directives of Operation Delta Safe.
Security authorities reiterated their commitment to sustaining operations against crude oil theft, illegal refining activities and economic sabotage across the Niger Delta region.
Troops Discover Illegal Refinery Site in Rivers Forest
News
COAS Welfare Flight Airlifts 341 Personnel In and Out of Operation Hadin Kai Theatre
COAS Welfare Flight Airlifts 341 Personnel In and Out of Operation Hadin Kai Theatre
By: Zagazola Makama
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) has conducted the second welfare flight for May 2026 in support of troops and personnel serving in the North-East theatre under Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK).
Military sources said the welfare flight was carried out on May 16, 2026, using a chartered ValueJet aircraft.
According to the sources, a total of 167 passengers were airlifted into the OPHK theatre, while 174 personnel were transported out of the theatre during the exercise.
The welfare flight initiative, introduced to support troop welfare and movement logistics, has continued to facilitate the rotation and transportation of military personnel serving in the counterinsurgency theatre.
The sources added that, with the latest operation, a cumulative total of 32,765 personnel have so far been transported into and out of the OPHK theatre since the commencement of the welfare flight programme.
Military authorities described the movement as successful and hitch-free.
COAS Welfare Flight Airlifts 341 Personnel In and Out of Operation Hadin Kai Theatre
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
