Connect with us

News

VP SHETTIMA INAUGURATES NEW NAHCON BOARD, TASKS MEMBERS ON INNOVATIONS IN HAJJ OPERATIONS

Published

on

VP SHETTIMA INAUGURATES NEW NAHCON BOARD, TASKS MEMBERS ON INNOVATIONS IN HAJJ OPERATIONS

By: Our Reporter

The Vice President, Sen. Kashim Shettima has inaugurated the newly constituted board of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) with a call on the new management to introduce innovations in hajj operations in Nigeria.

Speaking during the inauguration of the new board at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Wednesday, the Vice President urged members to synergize and bring fresh perspectives to the operations of the commission.

According to Sen. Shettima, serving on the NAHCON board is very important given that “Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam”.

“For you, beyond your appointment, it is a win-win situation because if you serve the pilgrims well, almighty Allah will compensate you in the year after. So, it is more of a religious duty than an administrative function,” the VP emphasized.

Speaking further about the composition of the new board and the task ahead of them, Sen. Shettima said, “The president deliberately picked people with diverse backgrounds and untainted by the past so that they can bring fresh perspectives and innovations to Hajj operations in Nigeria and also interrogate the management structure of the organisation and bring out the best from the staff.”

“As usual, you will encounter a lot of challenges but I will urge you to fuse into a single force and achieve our desired result. I will urge you to wear your thinking caps and come up with robust solutions that will satisfy Nigerian pilgrims.

“It is a very tough assignment; this is the nature of pilgrimage. But I want you to have it at the back of your minds that you are rendering service to God and humanity,” he added.

The Vice President particularly urged the new management to improve on the Hajj Savings Scheme to boost the number of pilgrims participating in the exercise across the country.

His words: “There are States that have become success stories in the Hajj Savings Scheme, and there is a need for greater advocacy so that this scheme can be replicated across the country.”

He further challenged the board to “engage our agents and operations partners to foster a longer-term relationship so that they can make significant capital investment in operations in the holy land.”

Earlier in his remarks, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the new board, Malam Jalal Arabi, thanked the President and Vice President for finding them worthy of service to the nation through the NAHCON board.

He said given the importance of the task ahead of them, the new board would work as a team to improve Hajj operations in Nigeria, assuring that pilgrims will get value for their money.

The NAHCON CEO said his team has already commenced work with a visit to Saudi Arabia to inspect facilities ahead of the forthcoming operations.

The newly constituted board comprises Aliu Abdulrazaq (Commissioner, Policy, Personnel, & Finance), Prince Anofi Elegushi (Commissioner, Operations), and Professor Abubakar A. Yagawal (Commissioner, Planning & Research).

The zonal and stakeholder representatives include Dr. Muhammad Umaru Ndagi — North Central; Abba Jato Kala — North East; Sheikh Muhammad Bin Othman — North West; Tajudeen Oladejo Abefe — South West; Aishat Obi Ahmed — South East; Zainab Musa — South South; Professor Musa Inuwa Fodio — Jama’atul Nasril Islam, and Professor Adedimizi Mahfouz Adebola — Supreme Council on Islamic Affairs.

Also, present at the event were the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate; Ministers of Aviation, Mr. Festus Keyamo, SAN, and Interior, Mr Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.

VP SHETTIMA INAUGURATES NEW NAHCON BOARD, TASKS MEMBERS ON INNOVATIONS IN HAJJ OPERATIONS

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara

Published

on

Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara

By: Zagazola Makama

The Police Command in Zamfara says its operatives have recovered 15 cows rustled by armed bandits during an attack on Gidan Kwagiri village in Damba District of Gusau Local Government Area.

Security sources said the incident occurred at about 1:30 a.m. on Feb. 15 when the bandits invaded the community and carted away cows and sheep belonging to residents.

According to the sources, upon receiving the report, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Damba Division mobilised personnel alongside patrol teams from the Department of Operations to pursue the attackers.

The team was said to have successfully recovered 15 cows, which were subsequently handed over to their owners.

Efforts, however, are ongoing to track down the suspects and recover the remaining rustled animals, while security patrols have been intensified in the area to forestall further attacks.

Police recover 15 rustled cows in Zamfara

Continue Reading

News

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Published

on

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation WHIRL STROKE have arrested suspects linked to cattle rustling in Benue State, following two separate security incidents in Guma Local Government Area.

Security sources said that on Feb. 15, troops responded to an attack on herders at Amua Village, located between Daudu and Umenger/Ukpiam. The attack left one herder dead, while another sustained gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical attention. The remains of the deceased were handed over to community representatives for burial according to local customs.

In a related operation on the same day, troops stationed at Ukpiam acted on intelligence provided by vigilant youths concerning suspected cattle rustling. The troops arrested a 23-year-old suspect, Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders. He also implicated two accomplices, Akpehe and Ashinge, who are still at large.

Further investigation led security operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where Mrs. Mercy Onban, wife of the alleged buyer of the stolen meat, was apprehended along with the recovered meat exhibits. Both suspects remain in custody pending further investigation.

The Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Major General Moses Gara, condemned the attacks and criminality, affirming the commitment of Operation WHIRL STROKE to halting killings and cattle rustling in the Joint Operations Area.

He urged community leaders to strengthen collaboration with security agencies, stressing that timely intelligence sharing is critical to restoring lasting peace. Major General Gara also reassured law-abiding residents of the strong resolve of the Joint Task Force to protect lives and property across the region.

Operation Whirl Stroke arrests cow rustling suspects fuelling violence in Benue

Continue Reading

News

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Published

on

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

By: Zagazola Makama

The Federal Government has charged former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Court documents showed that El-Rufai, 65, appeared as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme on Feb. 13, 2026, where he reportedly admitted to involvement in the interception and to knowing individuals who carried out the act without reporting them to security agencies.

The charges, filed under TABU DET CR/99/2026, include: Count One, Allegedly admitting during the television interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, contrary to Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count Two, Allegedly stating that he knew individuals who unlawfully intercepted the same communications but failed to report them, in violation of Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024. Count Three, Allegedly using technical systems to compromise public safety and national security, and instilling apprehension among Nigerians, in breach of Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The case, filed by a team of Federal Government lawyers led by ME Ernest, OM Owan, UM Bulla, CS Eze, and VE G. Orubor, is set to proceed with investigations and trial proceedings.

Authorities said the matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court, where the accused will be required to respond to the charges.

The trial is expected to attract significant public attention given the high-profile nature of the accused and the sensitive security issues involved.

Federal Government arraigns Nasir El-Rufai over alleged phone interception

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights