News
VP Shettima Leads FG Delegation To Condole With Victims Of Kwara Attack
VP Shettima Leads FG Delegation To Condole With Victims Of Kwara Attack
***Assures all hands are on deck to restore peace, tranquility to Kaiama
***Says President Tinubu has directed NEMA to mobilise resources to support distressed communities
By: Our Reporter
The Vice President, Senator Kashim Shettima, has reaffirmed the determination of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to ensure that peace and tranquillity are restored in Nuku and Woro villages in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State in the aftermath of Tuesday’s attacks on the communities by terrorists.
He assured the people of the communities that while the President had ordered the deployment of a battalion of the Nigerian Army to Kaiama, all hands were already on deck to rid the affected communities and the entire state of insecurity.

Senator Shettima gave the assurance on Saturday when he led a Federal Government delegation to commiserate with the people of Kaiama Local Government and the Governor of Kwara State, Mallam AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, over the deadly terrorist attack that claimed several lives.
The Vice President disclosed that President Tinubu has instructed the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to mobilise all resources, in partnership with the Kwara State Emergency Management Agency, to provide succour and support to the distress communities.

“Your Excellency, we are here at the behest of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to commiserates with you and the good people of Kaiama and Kwara State, by extension, over the tragedy that befell our communities of Woro and Nuku on the evening of Tuesday, February 3, 2026.
“That tragic killings had shocked Nigerians because the victims were peaceful members of the communities that were dedicated to building peaceful livelihood, while they practice their religion in the peaceful and harmonious manner that the injunctions of Islam has instructed,” he said
VP Shettima extended what he described as the heartfelt condolences of President Tinubu and the Federal Government to the government and those who lost their loved ones in the gory attacks, noting that all hands were already on deck to restore peace in the community.

“Please, accept our heartfelt condolences, on behalf of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. A battalion of the Nigerian Army had been deployed to Kaiama and all hands are on deck to ensure that peace and tranquility is restored to those communities,” he assured.
The VP did not disclose the measures being taken to restore peace in the area, observing however that “security issues are sensitive issues and we do not have to divulge most of the actions that are being taken by our security establishment.
“But I’m here fundamentally to commiserates with the government and people of Kwara and the people of Kaiama, in particular, over the tragic loss of lives and to reassure the good people of the state of harmony. Our prayers are with you, our empathy is with you,” the Vice President added.
Earlier, Chairman of the North East Governors Forum, Governor Babagana Umara Zulum of Borno State, extended the condolences and sympathy of the North East Governors to the people and government of Kwara State over the tragedy.

He said, “As Muslims, we believe in destiny and it is our sincere hope that, by God’s grace, this act will not happen again. Our prayers are with you and it is our sincere prayer that Almighty Allah will forgive those that have lost their lives and grant them Aljannah firdaus,” Governor Zulum prayed.
Responding, the Governor of Kwara State, AbdulRazaq, applauded the swift response of the Federal Government to the incident, saying “as confirmed by the Local Government Chairman, troops are already on ground and the Operation Savannah Shield is in motion.
“As you can see, we were welcomed at the airport by the General Officer Commanding (GOC) Second Division of the Nigerian Army. A DIG is on ground. We truly appreciate the response of the Federal Government, and representatives of NEMA have been on ground since the incident happened.”
The Governor called for continued prayers for better a situation and better security in Nigeria, just as he said, “One is short of words and what to say but we will continue to support our President, the Vice President and our leadership for God to guide them in the affairs of this nation.”
Also, the Chairman of Kaiama local government area, Hon. Abdullahi Abubakar Danladi, expressed gratitude to President Tinubu and Vice President Shettima for the immediate deployment of a military battalion in the area, and thanked the Governor of Kwara state for his leadership.
On his part, the Emir of Kaiama, HRH Alhaji Mu’azu Shehu Omar, also applauded President Tinubu for the prompt action taken after the massacre that in Kaiama.
“We really appreciate the effort of President Tinubu. Since the incident happened on Tuesday, he has shown concerned toward us. The security personnel and other relevant agencies are adequately deployed to arrest the situation,” the traditional ruler said.
Other dignitaries present during the visit include the Director-General of NEMA), Zubaida Umar; Sen. Ali Mohammed Ndume; Managing Director, Niger Delta Power Holding Company Ltd (NDPHC), Eng. Jennifer Adighije; former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ovie Omo Agege, and members of Kwara State House of Assembly, among others.
VP Shettima Leads FG Delegation To Condole With Victims Of Kwara Attack
News
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
By: Michael Mike
A human rights organisation, Speak Out for Justice Advocacy Ltd./Gte. (SOJA), has condemned the reported abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident and the alleged killing of a teacher, Mr. Michael Oyedokun, as “a case too many.”
In a statement issued on Thursday, the group expressed deep concern over reports that armed attackers abducted teachers and students from schools within the council area around May 15, 2026, while Mr. Oyedokun, a Mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was reportedly killed during the incident.
The organisation said several victims were still believed to be in captivity awaiting rescue.
SOJA, led by its Founder and Executive Director, Hameed Ajibola Jimoh, commiserated with the affected families and communities, warning that repeated attacks on schools and civilians across parts of the country were becoming alarming.
According to the advocacy group, the incident, if confirmed, raises serious constitutional and human rights concerns under both Nigerian law and international treaties to which Nigeria is a signatory.
Citing Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution, SOJA stressed that “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government,” while Sections 33, 34 and 35 guarantee the rights to life, dignity and personal liberty.
The group also referenced Nigeria’s obligations under several international and regional legal frameworks, including the United Nations-backed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC).
SOJA argued that the obligations imposed by these instruments go beyond symbolic commitments, requiring authorities to take practical and preventive steps to protect lives, especially those of vulnerable groups such as school children and teachers.
“The implication of these obligations in the present circumstances is that government responsibility extends beyond merely reacting after tragic events occur,” the statement said.
The organisation acknowledged reports that security agencies had intensified rescue operations and investigations, but maintained that recurring attacks on schools demanded more decisive and proactive measures.
“This is a case too many,” the statement added.
SOJA therefore called for the immediate intensification of lawful rescue efforts for those still in captivity, a thorough investigation into the incident, prosecution of perpetrators, strengthened security around schools and vulnerable communities, and adequate support for affected victims and families.
The group further urged the government to undertake a comprehensive review of strategies aimed at preventing future attacks on educational institutions.
“Teachers should not become targets. Schools should not become zones of fear. Children should not bear the burden of insecurity,” the organisation stated.
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
News
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.
The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.
According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
News
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.
The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.
The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
