Connect with us

News

WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria

Published

on

WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria

By: Michael Mike

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has advised public and private sector leaders to work together to tackle the root causes of hunger and build peace in Nigeria,

This advice was given by the Executive Director of the UN agency, Cindy McCain
while concluding a visit to Nigeria, stressed that there was urgent need for this step to be taken amidst rising food insecurity and malnutrition in Nigeria,

A statement by the WFP made available to our correspondent on Monday, said despite its huge agricultural potential, Nigeria is now in the grips a widespread humanitarian crisis driven by poverty, recurring conflicts, and climate shocks – with 32 million people struggling to feed themselves.

The statement said during McCain’s five-day visit to Nigeria, she witnessed firsthand how conflict, climate shocks, and high food and fuel prices are driving millions into acute hunger and malnutrition.

The statement quoted McCain to have said: “What I have seen and heard during my visit to Damasak, in Borno State, is deeply disturbing. An urgent humanitarian crisis is unfolding in northern Nigeria, as the number of children with acute malnutrition soars and the ongoing conflict prevents millions from returning to their homes and lands,” adding that: “People there desperately need peace and stability, so farming and food production can restart and this hunger crisis can be halted in its tracks.”

According to the statement, the prolonged humanitarian crisis – worsened by an economic slowdown, high inflation, rising food prices, and the recent floods – is endangering the lives of children, pregnant women and girls, and entire communities. Over 3.6 million people in northeastern and northwestern states have been forcibly displaced by conflict and are not able to access their farmlands or engage in other economic activities. With devastating flooding hitting Maiduguri in September – described as the worst in 30 years – more than 400,000 people have also been temporarily displaced in and around the city.

The statement further said malnutrition is rising, with nine million children at risk of acute malnutrition in the country. The number of children admitted for severe and moderate acute malnutrition has risen by 40 and 70 percent compared to 2023.

It said WFP is on the ground, supporting government-led efforts responding to the most urgent needs, and doing all it can. So far this year, WFP has assisted 1.6 million people affected by the ongoing humanitarian crisis, distributing 32,000 metric tons of food and US$40 million in cash entitlements, decrying that the scale of the crisis calls for a response that goes beyond these badly-needed humanitarian interventions.

The statement said while in Abuja and Lagos, McCain engaged with senior government and private sector leaders, creative industries, international financial institutions, the United Nations, and donor representatives to explore African-led solutions, and discuss the role of the private sector and entrepreneurship in addressing food insecurity and youth employment.

It said McCain noted that “WFP’s commitment to delivering lifesaving assistance and tackling the root causes of hunger in Nigeria is stronger than ever. By mobilizing funding, technology, and ambitious new partnerships between the private and public sectors, we can support rural livelihoods, strengthen food systems and offer sustainable solutions to food insecurity that empower local communities,”

It admitted that Nigeria – West Africa’s most populous and largest economy – has the potential to play an outsize role in stabilizing the region and helping to ensure sustainable food security and nutrition for millions, provided the country receives the attention commensurate with its strategic importance.

The statement revealed that WFP is working with the Government of Nigeria and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) on a ground-breaking food systems programme that will help communities escape the cycle of conflict by building the resilient, inclusive and effective food systems they need to achieve self-reliance.
Through the “Out of Conflict, into Solutions” food systems strategy, WFP will seek to address post-harvest losses, limited access to agricultural inputs, poor dietary diversity and limited access to food in Nigeria.

It further said: “Agriculture is a cornerstone of Nigeria’s economy – providing employment to more than a third of the labor force – up to 80 percent in rural areas. The private sector is one of the key contributors to developing extensive supply chains, including production, processing, manufacturing and distributions.”

It however explained that WFP needs US$228 million to stave off catastrophe in northeast Nigeria and meet the food and nutrition needs of 1.6 million over the next six months.

WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Russia Strengthens Strategic Ties with Sahel States Amid Geopolitical Shifts

Published

on

Russia Strengthens Strategic Ties with Sahel States Amid Geopolitical Shifts

By: Zagazola Makama

Russia has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening ties with Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger, as Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov hosted his counterparts from the three Sahel states in Moscow. The high-level meeting signals deepening cooperation in security, economic development, and diplomatic coordination, amid shifting global alliances and the growing influence of the Alliance of Sahel States (AES).

The discussions, held in a quadrilateral format for the first time, focused on enhancing military collaboration, investment opportunities, and regional security strategies. Lavrov welcomed the delegation, emphasizing Russia’s support for the sovereignty of the three nations as they seek to assert independence in their policymaking and security frameworks.

“We appreciate the determination of your countries to build a new regional security architecture based on your own strengths while remaining open to mutually beneficial cooperation,” Lavrov said. He commended the “dynamic integration” efforts within the AES and highlighted ongoing projects in trade, finance, infrastructure, and human resource development.

The visit comes amid rising geopolitical tensions and the Sahel states’ increasing shift away from Western partnerships. Following military takeovers in Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger, the three countries have strengthened ties with Russia, particularly in military cooperation and counterterrorism efforts. They have also distanced themselves from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), forming the AES as a regional bloc focused on collective security and economic cooperation.

Lavrov noted that Russia is ready to support the AES beyond bilateral engagements, stating that collaboration would extend to international platforms, including the Russia-Africa Forum. The next ministerial meeting of the forum is expected to take place in Africa later this year, ahead of the 2026 Russia-Africa Summit.

In his remarks, Mali’s Foreign Minister, Abdoulaye Diop, reaffirmed his country’s commitment to strengthening ties with Russia, underscoring the importance of strategic alliances in addressing security and development challenges.

The meeting marks a new phase in Russia’s engagement with Africa, particularly in regions seeking alternative partnerships. As the global political landscape evolves, the AES-Russia partnership is expected to influence security dynamics and economic cooperation in the Sahel and beyond.

Russia Strengthens Strategic Ties with Sahel States Amid Geopolitical Shifts

Continue Reading

News

Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa

Published

on

Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A tragic incident occurred on April 3, 2025, during a joint security operation in Girei Local Government Area (LGA) of Adamawa State.

The operation, which involved personnel from the Police, Military, Department of State Security Services (DSS), and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), aimed to raid criminal hideouts in the area.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that during the operation, one of the security personnel accidentally discharged their firearm, striking 21-year-old Bara Adamu of Wuro Bulama, Girei LGA.

The victim was immediately rushed to Specialist Hospital for medical attention but was sadly confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.

Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa

Continue Reading

Crime

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

Published

on

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

By: Zagazola Makama

On April 3, 2025, at approximately 1130 hours, a group of armed bandits riding motorcycles, opened fire on a commercial vehicle traveling from Kebbi to Sokoto.

The attack resulted in the death of one Dan Gande Usman, who was shot in the head. The victim succumbed to his injuries while being transported to the hospital.

In response to the attack, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were deployed to the area to ensure sanity.

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights