News
Yobe State EXCO Line Up Projects For Commissiong
Yobe State EXCO Line Up Projects For Commissiong
By: Mamman Mohammed
The Yobe state executive council at its first meeting of the year today lined up some infrastructural projects completed and ready for commissioning.
Addressing the media after the EXCO Meeting, the state Commissioner for Information, Alh. Abdullahi Bego, said “these projects and programmes cut across many sectors, including healthcare, agriculture, education, road construction and Empowerment.
The council resolved to embark on a major modernization initiative to change the face of Damaturu to a befitting state capital in 2025.

The council expressed confidence that many of the ongoing legacy that will be ready for commissioning soon “include the Potiskum Modern Market, Ngalda and Yunusari markets all of which are currently at 90% stages of completion, and the Geidam Modern Market which is now at 75% completion stage, and the Potiskum Truck Transit Park now at 90 percent completion stage”.
The EXCO noted that the four modern SESAME SEEDS processing factories in Machina, Nguru, Potiskum and Damaturu have been completed and ready for inauguration.
Similarly, the phase one of the Fika-Maluri road has been completed while work on the second phase is ongoing. The Kukuri-Chukuriwa-Dawasa is 95% completed, Karasuwa-Galu- Gashu’a main road is completed.
“The Gashu’a-Masaba road is at 48% completion, Chumbusko-Tagali road is 100% completed, Nguru-Balanguwa is 75% completed, while Balanguwa-Kumaganam is at 60% completion stage.
“Danchuwa-Garin Bingel (100% completed); and the Danchuwa-Jajere road (97% completion stage); with a number of township roads under the first phase in Nguru, Jajimaji, Gashu’a, Potiskum, Damagum, Damaturu, Buni-Yadi, Babban Gida, and Geidam completed.
In the second phase, Nguru township roads were completed 100%; Potiskum and Damaturu are at 80% while Geidam and Gashu’a township roads are now at 40% stages of completion. We also have ongoing township road projects in Fika, Buni-Yadi and Yunusari towns.
The Damaturu-Buni Yadi, Damaturu-Bayamari, Potiskum-Gashu’a, Bayamari-Yunusari, and Geidam-Bukarti roads cut off by the floods last year have been repaired.
“There is also ongoing rehabilitation of Yunusari-Yusufari road; Jajimaji-Karasuwa road; Yunusari-Kafiya-Kanamma road junction.
“The state government is also currently constructing a road from Potiskum to Ngojin and from Fadawa to Daya in Fika Local Government area” the council stated.
The state executive council noted the delivery of healthcare equipment to the state donated by World Medical Relief in the United States.
“These equipment include hospital beds, infusion pumps, patient monitors, surgical instruments and tools, defibrillators, fetal monitors and ventilators, amongst others”.
The EXCO. noted with satisfaction the graduation of the Buni Scholars in India in the face of the economic challenges making the state proud with increase in qualified personnel in various fields.
Yobe State EXCO Line Up Projects For Commissiong
News
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.
The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.
According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
News
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.
The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.
The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
News
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
By: Zagazola Makama
The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.
With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.
Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.
The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.
The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.
Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.
The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.
At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.
Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.
Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.
The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
