Connect with us

News

Yobe State University Embraces Transition to Online Learning

Published

on

Yobe State University Embraces Transition to Online Learning

By: Our Reporter

Yobe State University is embarking on a significant transformation, transitioning from traditional analog lecturing methods to modern online lectures in response to directives from the Federal Ministry of Education, advocating for the adoption of digital platforms.

During a workshop at the ICT center, Vice-Chancellor Prof. Mala M. Daura, represented by Dr. Mohammed Musa Lawan, stressed the importance of embracing this new approach. He urged lecturers to recognize the advantages of online learning and emphasized the necessity of maintaining global competitiveness.

Expressing satisfaction with the move away from traditional face-to-face lectures, Prof. Mala M. Daura highlighted the accessibility and affordability of online education. He announced the support of the National Universities Commission (NUC) and the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) in facilitating this transition.

Dr. Benga Yusuf, representing the Federal Ministry of Education, commended Yobe State University for its commitment to innovation. He urged heads of department to establish commitee and step down workshop to the lecturers. Noting YSU as the 89th institution visited on this mission, he emphasized the significance of the Vice-Chancellor’s comprehensive remarks.

With this bold step towards digital learning, Yobe State University aims to position itself among global education leaders and cultivate a culture of excellence in Nigeria.

The ICT director expressed gratitude to the workshop organizers and urged lecturers to update their emails for effective communication.

Yobe State University Embraces Transition to Online Learning

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu

Published

on

Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 8 (Sub-Sector 81), Operation Enduring Peace, have responded to a reported attack and killing of a civilian security guard, Saidu Mohammed, by militia elements in Gindiri area of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. on May 22 at a farm near a dam in the area.

According to the sources, troops were mobilised to the scene following a distress call and found the lifeless body of the victim, who was said to have sustained machete cuts.

The remains of the deceased were recovered and subsequently handed over to his family for burial in accordance with Islamic rites.

The sources added that preliminary assessment suggested the attack may have been carried out by suspected militia elements operating in the general area.

Authorities said efforts were ongoing to identify, trail and apprehend those responsible for the killing, while security surveillance in the area had been intensified.

Troops Respond to Isolated Killing of Civilian Guard in Plateau by Militia elements in Mangu

Continue Reading

News

Zulum Presents APC Guber Candidate Gubio to Tinubu, Hails President’s Role in Northeast Recovery

Published

on

Zulum Presents APC Guber Candidate Gubio to Tinubu, Hails President’s Role in Northeast Recovery

By: Michael Mike

Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, on Friday formally presented the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state, Mustapha Gubio, to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa.

During the meeting, Zulum praised President Tinubu’s commitment to restoring peace, rebuilding communities devastated by insurgency and supporting development efforts across Nigeria’s Northeast.

The governor said the President’s leadership has strengthened cohesion within the APC and sustained momentum in the region’s recovery efforts, particularly in states affected by years of attacks by insurgent groups.

“The President’s commitment to peace and reconstruction in the Northeast has been unwavering,” Zulum said, noting that federal interventions in security, humanitarian support and infrastructure development have continued to bring hope to affected communities.

Zulum was accompanied to the Presidential Villa by member of the House of Representatives, Bukar Talba.

The presentation of Gubio comes amid growing political activities ahead of the 2027 general elections and is widely seen as a major step in consolidating the APC’s political structure in Borno State, one of the party’s strongest support bases in the North-East.

Gubio, a former commissioner and technocrat, recently emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Borno, succeeding other aspirants in the party’s internal selection process. His emergence has attracted significant attention within political circles, especially given Governor Zulum’s influence in the state and his administration’s focus on post-insurgency reconstruction, resettlement of displaced persons and rebuilding of critical infrastructure.

Since assuming office in 2019, Zulum has gained national recognition for his hands-on leadership style, particularly his frequent visits to conflict-affected communities and efforts to improve education, healthcare and security coordination in Borno State.

Borno remains one of the states most impacted by over a decade of insurgency in the Northeast, with thousands killed and millions displaced. However, recent years have witnessed gradual reconstruction and resettlement efforts led by both the state and federal governments.

Zulum Presents APC Guber Candidate Gubio to Tinubu, Hails President’s Role in Northeast Recovery

Continue Reading

News

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Published

on

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

By: Michael Mike

A human rights organisation, Speak Out for Justice Advocacy Ltd./Gte. (SOJA), has condemned the reported abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident and the alleged killing of a teacher, Mr. Michael Oyedokun, as “a case too many.”

In a statement issued on Thursday, the group expressed deep concern over reports that armed attackers abducted teachers and students from schools within the council area around May 15, 2026, while Mr. Oyedokun, a Mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was reportedly killed during the incident.

The organisation said several victims were still believed to be in captivity awaiting rescue.

SOJA, led by its Founder and Executive Director, Hameed Ajibola Jimoh, commiserated with the affected families and communities, warning that repeated attacks on schools and civilians across parts of the country were becoming alarming.

According to the advocacy group, the incident, if confirmed, raises serious constitutional and human rights concerns under both Nigerian law and international treaties to which Nigeria is a signatory.

Citing Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution, SOJA stressed that “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government,” while Sections 33, 34 and 35 guarantee the rights to life, dignity and personal liberty.

The group also referenced Nigeria’s obligations under several international and regional legal frameworks, including the United Nations-backed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC).

SOJA argued that the obligations imposed by these instruments go beyond symbolic commitments, requiring authorities to take practical and preventive steps to protect lives, especially those of vulnerable groups such as school children and teachers.

“The implication of these obligations in the present circumstances is that government responsibility extends beyond merely reacting after tragic events occur,” the statement said.

The organisation acknowledged reports that security agencies had intensified rescue operations and investigations, but maintained that recurring attacks on schools demanded more decisive and proactive measures.

“This is a case too many,” the statement added.

SOJA therefore called for the immediate intensification of lawful rescue efforts for those still in captivity, a thorough investigation into the incident, prosecution of perpetrators, strengthened security around schools and vulnerable communities, and adequate support for affected victims and families.

The group further urged the government to undertake a comprehensive review of strategies aimed at preventing future attacks on educational institutions.

“Teachers should not become targets. Schools should not become zones of fear. Children should not bear the burden of insecurity,” the organisation stated.

SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights