Connect with us

News

Zulum Approves N1.3bn Scholarship for 997 Nursing, Midwifery Students in Borno

Published

on

Zulum Approves N1.3bn Scholarship for 997 Nursing, Midwifery Students in Borno

By: Michael Mike

Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum has approved N1.3 billion scholarship for 997 nursing and midwifery students who are indigenes of the state.

According to a statement on Wednesday, the scholarship programme received about 1,080 nominations, 40 from each of the 27 local government areas of the state, but after an entrance examination, 997 applicants passed and qualified to benefit from the scholarship.

Zulum, while launching the scholarship programme on Wednesday at the College of Nursing and Midwifery, Maiduguri, noted that with the scholarship, the beneficiaries would, on graduation, bridge the workforce demands in the state’s healthcare service delivery due to the increasing population growth.

He said: “The government has allocated a total of ₦1,305,189,000 for scholarships, with a breakdown of ₦124,149,000 earmarked for tuition fees.

“The remaining ₦1,181,040,000 will be disbursed as a monthly stipend of ₦30,000 to each beneficiary throughout their studies.”

Zulum further stated that his administration was constructing two colleges of nursing, one in the northern part of the state and the other one in the southern part.

He assured that the two colleges would be completed and opened for academic activities this year.

Highlighting the government’s efforts, the Commissioner for Education, Engineer Lawan Wakilbe, disclosed that from May 29, 2019 to date, Zulum’s administration had approved over N6 billion for scholarship with N2.7 billion of that amount approved from May 29, 2023 to date.

Meanwhile, the governor has awarded N201 million bursary allowance to 2,010 students of the Maiduguri College of Nursing who had not benefited from the scholarship.

The governor directed that each of the 2,010 nursing and midwifery students be credited with the bursary allowance of N100,000.

Zulum also commissioned a lecture theatre complex and a 3,000 people-capacity multipurpose hall for the College of Nursing and Midwifery, Maiduguri.

The governor also announced automatic employment for the 997 beneficiaries and other nursing students who had excelled academically, on completion of their studies.

In a related development, the Nursing Council of Nigeria (NCN) has commended Borno State for his commitment to improving nursing practice in the state, noting that the scholarship awarded by the governor on Wednesday was the first of its kind and so far the largest in Nigeria.

The Registrar of the Council, Dr Farouk Umar Abubakar, who was represented by the Director of Standard and Accreditation, Alhassan Ndagi, gave the commendation while delivering a goodwill message at the flag-off of the N1.3 billion scholarship for nursing and midwifery students in Maiduguri.

The register applauded the performance of the nursing students from Borno, stating that every year at the national examinations, students from Borno score more than 90 percent.

Zulum Approves N1.3bn Scholarship for 997 Nursing, Midwifery Students in Borno

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Security forced arrested three over illegal arms dealings in Bauchi

Published

on

Security forced arrested three over illegal arms dealings in Bauchi

By: Zagazola Makama

Three men have been arrested for allegedly engaging in illegal weapons dealings in Bauchi State, security sources said.

The suspects, identified as Peter Pama and Saleh Monday, both of Iburu, and Sunday Makama of Kasuwan Magani, were apprehended on Feb. 17 following intelligence on illicit arms activities.

Zagazola gathered that one locally fabricated AK-47 rifle and one fabricated pump-action gun from the suspects.

Investigations into the case are ongoing as security agencies work to determine the full extent of the arms network.

Security forced arrested three over illegal arms dealings in Bauchi

Continue Reading

News

Joint troops repel bandit attack in Katsina, neutralise two and recover motorcycle

Published

on

Joint troops repel bandit attack in Katsina, neutralise two and recover motorcycle

By: Zagazola Makama

Joint troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA have repelled an armed bandit attack in Gida Soda Village, Katsina State, neutralising two attackers and recovering a motorcycle, security sources said.

The incident reportedly occurred at about 12:45 a.m. on Feb. 17 when suspected bandits stormed the village. Troops, acting promptly in coordination with local police and Civil Watch Patrol Teams, engaged the attackers in an intense gunfight, forcing the criminals to flee.

During the operation, two of the bandits were neutralised, and a Boxer-brand motorcycle belonging to the group was recovered.

Tragically, one resident, Hassana Muhammad, 30, was reportedly fatally shot during the attack. She was rushed to Dansoda Hospital, where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel.

Sources said efforts to track fleeing bandits and secure the area are ongoing.

Joint troops repel bandit attack in Katsina, neutralise two and recover motorcycle

Continue Reading

News

AACIS’26 Set to Open $40 Trillion Africa-Caribbean Market

Published

on

AACIS’26 Set to Open $40 Trillion Africa-Caribbean Market

By: Michael Mike

The 2026 edition of the Aquarian Consult’s Afri-Caribbean Investment Summit (AACIS’26) will focus on boosting trade, investment, and private sector partnerships between Africa and the Caribbean, targeting a combined market valued at $40 trillion across Africa, the Caribbean, and the Americas.

The Chief of Staff of Aquarian Consult Ltd, Serumun Ubwa, disclosed this while briefing journalists in Abuja, ahead of the summit scheduled for March 23–28, 2026.

She described AACIS as a strategic platform designed to connect African businesses with Caribbean partners, attract foreign investment, and promote sustainable economic collaboration across key sectors.

Ubwa highlighted that the inaugural AACIS in 2025 achieved landmark outcomes, including the establishment of the first direct flight from Africa to Saint Kitts and Nevis, the signing of Memoranda of Understanding in agriculture and cultural exchange, and a $40 million deep-water port agreement. She said these successes set the stage for the 2026 summit, which will expand opportunities for trade and investment.

She revealed that the 2026 summit will introduce two specialized events: the Afri-Caribbean Agriculture and Food Security Summit (March 23–24) and the Afri-Caribbean Health Summit (March 26), running alongside the main Investment Summit from March 25–28.

“By focusing on agriculture and healthcare, we aim to strengthen regional cooperation, enhance food security, open new export markets for African producers, and support policy frameworks that reduce import dependence in the Caribbean,” Ubwa said.

She added that the summit will feature structured Business-to-Business (B2B) and Business-to-Government (B2G) matchmaking sessions, an Investor Deal Room managed by investment promotion agencies, and sector-specific engagements in agriculture, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, renewable energy, tourism, digital technology, and the creative economy.

Ubwa added that over 2,000 participants are expected, including current and former heads of government, sovereign wealth funds, multilateral institutions, and private sector leaders. She emphasised that AACIS seeks to strengthen South-South cooperation and increase Africa-Caribbean trade, which currently represents less than one per cent of total trade between the regions.

Interested participants are expected to register for the summit at www.aquarianconsult.com/AACIS.

AACIS’26 Set to Open $40 Trillion Africa-Caribbean Market

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights