Connect with us

News

Zulum begins Borno’s 3rd flyover in Maiduguri

Published

on

Zulum begins Borno’s 3rd flyover in Maiduguri

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, has launched the construction of another flyover at the west end roundabout in Maiduguri.

Zulum, accompanied by the senator representing Borno Central, Kaka Shehu Lawan, and the secretary to Borno State Government, Bukar Tijjani, performed the flag-off ceremony on Saturday.

The project which is the 3rd by the Zulum’s administration, is expected to be completed in one year.

In 2020, Zulum started Borno’s first flyover around the custom roundabout, which former President Muhammadu Buhari commissioned and the second one which was completed this year, awaiting commissioning.

Speaking while flagging off the project, Zulum said the flyover work was part of his election campaign to put in place infrastructures in the major cities in Borno State.

“In fulfilment of our electioneering campaign to ensure urban renewal of some major cities in Borno State, especially Maiduguri Metropolitan Council, the government of Borno State is serious about uplifting and upgrading facilities within the Metropolitan Council,” Zulum said.

“We have constructed two flyovers; this will be the third one and, in Sha Allah, before we leave office, we will ensure the completion of all the structures we have initiated”, the governor stated.

Governor Zulum explained that constructing the west-end flyover is not just for beautification, but to also reduce congestion, allow traffic flow and create indirect job opportunities for the youth.

“The construction of this flyover is not only for aesthetic consideration. The most important thing is to reduce vehicular congestion in the area. The custom roundabout was the busiest before now. The construction here would create thousands of job opportunities for our teeming youth within the Metropolitan Council.” Zulum said.

Zulum stated that 50% of the construction funds have already been released to the contractor, Eighteenth Engineering Company (EEC) and assured them of prompt payment.

Speaking earlier, the Commissioner for Works and Housing, Engr Mustapha Gubio, said the bridge has a length of 470m, two piers, two abutments, and three spans. It runs from west to east, running through Sir Kashim Road. It has elastomer bearing for stability and barriers for the protection of pedestrians.

The representative of EEC, Mr Gao Kun, assures Governor Zulum of quality work and timely completion of the project.

Zulum begins Borno’s 3rd flyover in Maiduguri

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

News

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Published

on

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

By: Zagazola Makama

A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.

Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.

The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.

Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.

The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.

Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.

The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.

Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights