News
Zulum flags off training for 1,949 teachers
Zulum flags off training for 1,949 teachers
.. NUT commends Borno gov for transforming education
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor Babagana Umara Zulum has flagged off the first phase of training for 1,949 teachers found trainable following a competency test conducted by the state government.
The ceremony was conducted on Monday at the Waka Biu College of Education in Biu Local Government Area of the state.
The competency test results revealed that out of the 15,823 teachers who sat for the test, only 5,257 passed; 6,227 performed below the required pass mark, but were considered trainable; while 4,339 were found to be untrainable.

Zulum explained that while about 1,949 people would benefit in the first phase, the programme would continue to cover 2,730 beneficiaries.
“Precisely, on March 19th, 2024, the government approved the allocation of one bilion Naira (N1 billion) for the training of 2,730 teachers. These teachers will undergo training at the College of Education Waka-Biu and Umar Ibn Ibrahim Elkanemi College of Education, Science and Technology, Bama, for a three-month sandwich programme for 1,884 beneficiaries,” Zulum said.
The governor added, “About 846 others who do not have tertiary qualification will undergo a full-time NCE programme.”
He said the training was to enhance the standard of education in Borno, noting that each participant would receive the training free with a monthly stipend of N30,000 in addition to their regular salaries.
Zulum also directed that each of the 846 that would be enrolled on a full-time NCE programme be placed on automatic in-service status.
The occasion was attended by the senator representing Southern Borno, Mohamed Ali Ndume; the Emir of Biu, Maidala Mustapha Umar Aliyu II; members of the Borno State House of Assembly; the Commissioner for Education, Science, Technology and Innovation, Engr Lawan Abba Wakilbe and other senior government officials.
.. NUT commends Zulum for transforming education
Meanwhile, the Borno State chapter of the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT) has commended the efforts of Governor Zulum in transforming the education sector.
The commendation was given by the state chairman of NUT, Comrade Zali Audu Garba.
“Your Excellency, it is my candid belief that the education sector is undergoing a tremendous transformation, ranging from human and infrastructural development,” Garba said.
Zulum flags off training for 1,949 teachers
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
News
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
By: Zagazola Makama
A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.
Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.
The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.
Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.
The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.
Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.
The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.
Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.
U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
