News
158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy

158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy
By: Michael Mike
A total of 158 Nigerian irregular migrants have again been repatriated from Libya, the Charge’ d’ Affaires of the Nigerian Mission in Tripoli, Libya, Amb. Mohammed Mohammed has revealed
The envoy, in a release made available to journalists on Wednesday, disclosed that the repatriation exercise was carried out by the Mission in collaboration with the Libyan authorities and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) under the organisation’s Voluntary Humanitarian Repatriation (VHR).
The release further stated that the evacuees departed Mitiga International Airport, Tripoli, aboard chartered flight no: – UZ 189 at 1500hrs local time and arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at 1800hrs.
According to Mohammed, the group of evacuees comprised seventy-seven (77) males, forty-five (45) females, 26 children as well as 10 infants.
On the reasons for this latest repatriation of these Nigerians, the Nigerian Embassy said they were repatriated for lack of proper documentation and accusations of various criminal activities,among others.
Of the total number, the Embassy said 26 males arrested from the ongoing raid of undocumented foreigners in Libya were released from Abu-Salim Detention Centre in Tripoli.
The Mission also informed that upon arrival in Nigeria, the evacuees were received by relevant government agencies, including NAPTIP, Nigerian Immigration Service, Airport Security and the NDLEA. These evacuees are expected to undergo rehabilitation and reintegration processes before they are released into society.
According to Mohammed, nearly 1, 776 stranded Nigerians have safely been returned home in 2024 so far.
The Nigerian Envoy, while urging citizens to shun irregular migrations,lauded the collaborative efforts of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,the Libyan authorities and the IOM for coming through for so many of the evacuees,who had the urgent desire to return home,but did not have the means to do so.
He said: “This marks the twelfth evacuation exercise carried out by the Nigerian Mission in Libya this year.
“The current exercise follows the repatriation of one hundred and forty-two (142) irregular Nigerian migrants from Sabha, Libya, on 9th July.
“While some of them were rescued from the Mediterranean Sea by the Libyan Coastal Guards, others were arrested on charges of prostitution, illegally entering the country, over stay and lack of proper documentation, just as others willingly submitted themselves to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in Libya for repatriation.
“You know, lately, there have been increasing and coordinated raids of illegal migrants across the cities of Libya and these are likely going to continue as Libyan authorities consider influx of illegal migrants in the country a National Security issue and have vowed to employ all legal means to stop the menace.
“Nigerians living in Libya,from many indications, already have damaged reputations due to the alleged nefarious activities of some criminal elements among them.Some have been fingered in the commitment of crimes such as kidnapping for ransom, drug peddling, prostitution, sale of alcohol as well as cultism and human trafficking with their Libyan collaborators, among others .
“It is, therefore ,as a result of the above that, arrest and deportation of Nigerians may continue in the weeks and months ahead,” the Nigerian Envoy said.
Worried by the challenges of illegal migration, the Libyan authorities recently, on July 17,2024, hosted the Trans-Mediterranean Migration Forum in Tripoli which brought together source, transit and destination countries to discuss solutions to irregular migration.
The Voluntary Humanitarian Repatriation is a programme of the International Organization for Migration that guarantees safe, dignified and expedited return for willing migrants. The Federal Government has through its constant collaborations with this organisation ensured that many irregular Nigerian migrants return home from time to time.
158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy
News
Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa

Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A tragic incident occurred on April 3, 2025, during a joint security operation in Girei Local Government Area (LGA) of Adamawa State.
The operation, which involved personnel from the Police, Military, Department of State Security Services (DSS), and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), aimed to raid criminal hideouts in the area.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that during the operation, one of the security personnel accidentally discharged their firearm, striking 21-year-old Bara Adamu of Wuro Bulama, Girei LGA.
The victim was immediately rushed to Specialist Hospital for medical attention but was sadly confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.
Man Killed in Accidental Shooting During Joint Security Operation in Adamawa
Crime
Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto

Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto
By: Zagazola Makama
On April 3, 2025, at approximately 1130 hours, a group of armed bandits riding motorcycles, opened fire on a commercial vehicle traveling from Kebbi to Sokoto.
The attack resulted in the death of one Dan Gande Usman, who was shot in the head. The victim succumbed to his injuries while being transported to the hospital.
In response to the attack, troops of Operation FANSAN YANMA were deployed to the area to ensure sanity.
Armed Bandits Kill One in Attack on Commercial Vehicle in Sokoto
Crime
Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze

Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze
By: Zagazola Makama
A deadly bandit attack on Rijiya Village in Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State has left eight people dead and a primary school set on fire.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that at approximately 1600 hours, on April 3, a group of armed bandits, heavily armed with AK-47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, invaded the village.
The assailants opened fire indiscriminately, resulting in the deaths of two members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CPG) and six civilians.
In addition to the loss of lives, the bandits set fire to a primary school that was being occupied by the CPG members.
Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident