News
158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy
158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy
By: Michael Mike
A total of 158 Nigerian irregular migrants have again been repatriated from Libya, the Charge’ d’ Affaires of the Nigerian Mission in Tripoli, Libya, Amb. Mohammed Mohammed has revealed
The envoy, in a release made available to journalists on Wednesday, disclosed that the repatriation exercise was carried out by the Mission in collaboration with the Libyan authorities and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) under the organisation’s Voluntary Humanitarian Repatriation (VHR).
The release further stated that the evacuees departed Mitiga International Airport, Tripoli, aboard chartered flight no: – UZ 189 at 1500hrs local time and arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at 1800hrs.
According to Mohammed, the group of evacuees comprised seventy-seven (77) males, forty-five (45) females, 26 children as well as 10 infants.
On the reasons for this latest repatriation of these Nigerians, the Nigerian Embassy said they were repatriated for lack of proper documentation and accusations of various criminal activities,among others.
Of the total number, the Embassy said 26 males arrested from the ongoing raid of undocumented foreigners in Libya were released from Abu-Salim Detention Centre in Tripoli.
The Mission also informed that upon arrival in Nigeria, the evacuees were received by relevant government agencies, including NAPTIP, Nigerian Immigration Service, Airport Security and the NDLEA. These evacuees are expected to undergo rehabilitation and reintegration processes before they are released into society.
According to Mohammed, nearly 1, 776 stranded Nigerians have safely been returned home in 2024 so far.
The Nigerian Envoy, while urging citizens to shun irregular migrations,lauded the collaborative efforts of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,the Libyan authorities and the IOM for coming through for so many of the evacuees,who had the urgent desire to return home,but did not have the means to do so.
He said: “This marks the twelfth evacuation exercise carried out by the Nigerian Mission in Libya this year.
“The current exercise follows the repatriation of one hundred and forty-two (142) irregular Nigerian migrants from Sabha, Libya, on 9th July.
“While some of them were rescued from the Mediterranean Sea by the Libyan Coastal Guards, others were arrested on charges of prostitution, illegally entering the country, over stay and lack of proper documentation, just as others willingly submitted themselves to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in Libya for repatriation.
“You know, lately, there have been increasing and coordinated raids of illegal migrants across the cities of Libya and these are likely going to continue as Libyan authorities consider influx of illegal migrants in the country a National Security issue and have vowed to employ all legal means to stop the menace.
“Nigerians living in Libya,from many indications, already have damaged reputations due to the alleged nefarious activities of some criminal elements among them.Some have been fingered in the commitment of crimes such as kidnapping for ransom, drug peddling, prostitution, sale of alcohol as well as cultism and human trafficking with their Libyan collaborators, among others .
“It is, therefore ,as a result of the above that, arrest and deportation of Nigerians may continue in the weeks and months ahead,” the Nigerian Envoy said.
Worried by the challenges of illegal migration, the Libyan authorities recently, on July 17,2024, hosted the Trans-Mediterranean Migration Forum in Tripoli which brought together source, transit and destination countries to discuss solutions to irregular migration.
The Voluntary Humanitarian Repatriation is a programme of the International Organization for Migration that guarantees safe, dignified and expedited return for willing migrants. The Federal Government has through its constant collaborations with this organisation ensured that many irregular Nigerian migrants return home from time to time.
158 Nigerian Irregular Migrants to Libya Repatriated, Says Envoy
News
Troops rescue five kidnap victims, repel attack on commuters near enugu
Troops rescue five kidnap victims, repel attack on commuters near enugu
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops deployed at 9th Mile in Enugu State have rescued five kidnapped victims after repelling an attack on commuters by suspected armed criminals.
Security sources said the incident occurred at about 6:55 p.m. on Feb. 20 when the troops responded to a distress call indicating that assailants had attacked travellers heading towards Anambra State.

On arrival at the scene, the troops engaged the attackers in a gun duel, forcing them to abandon the victims and flee into nearby surroundings.

The sources disclosed that five kidnapped persons were successfully rescued during the operation, while the vehicle used by the victims was also recovered.
It was gathered that the troops expended 11 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during the encounter.

Security authorities said patrols had been intensified in the area to deny the criminals freedom of action and to forestall further attacks on commuters.
They added that the situation was under control, while surveillance and domination patrols were ongoing.
Troops rescue five kidnap victims, repel attack on commuters near enugu
News
Zulum meets 56 state-sponsored doctors, approves training fund, others
Zulum meets 56 state-sponsored doctors, approves training fund, others
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has approved a special training fund for the 56 medical doctors currently undergoing residency training under the state’s sponsorship.
The governor granted the approval during an interactive meeting with the resident doctors at the Government House in Maiduguri on Thursday.

The meeting was convened at the governor’s instance to assess the progress of the doctors’ training and address any challenges hindering their seamless progression in their various places of primary assignments.
Beyond approving the training fund, Zulum also approved the immediate implementation of promotional benefits for all resident doctors due for career progression.
He directed that the promotions be implemented with immediate effect and that all arrears be paid to the beneficiaries, dating back to the effective date of their promotions.
The governor also directed the Borno State Hospital Management Board to organise a similar interaction with other medical doctors in the state who are not undergoing residency training.

He reiterated that the welfare of all health workers in the state remained a top priority for his administration, stressing that a motivated workforce is essential for delivering quality healthcare services to the people of Borno.
“My administration is committed to creating an enabling environment for our health professionals. We understand that without their dedication, we cannot achieve the needed health coverage we desire for our citizens,” the governor stated.
The meeting was attended by key stakeholders in the health sector, including the Commissioner for Health, Professor Baba Mallam Gana; the chairman of the State Hospital Management Board, Dr Joseph Jatau; and the Chief Medical Director, Professor Abubakar Kullima.

Also in attendance were the acting Chief of Staff, Dr Babagana Mustapha Mallumbe; the Chief Adviser to the Governor, Dr Mairo Mandara, the Executive Director, Borno State Primary Healthcare Development Board, Professor Arab Alhaji Mohammed and the Chief Medical Director of the Kashim Ibrahim University Teaching Hospital, Prof. Ibrahim Musa Kida.
Zulum meets 56 state-sponsored doctors, approves training fund, others
News
Ebizi Unreliable, Adulterous Conduct Modelling Around Lokpobiri Over Deputy Office – Kolga Group Alleges
Ebizi Unreliable, Adulterous Conduct Modelling Around Lokpobiri Over Deputy Office – Kolga Group Alleges
The Kolga Youth Progressive Alliance has raised perturbing concerns of Mrs Ebizi Brown Ndiomu, member representing Sagbama Constituency || desperateness for consideration as Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State.
The state lawmaker rumoured for possible nomination, consideration for the replacement of the departed deputy governor, has been modelling around the Honorable Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Oil), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri in Abuja.
A statement issued on Friday by the group spokesman, Comrade Tony Alazigha, the group described Mrs Ebizi Brown adulterous demeanor to be ascribed as desperate measures for consideration, and replacement of the departed deputy governor.
According to the group, Ebizi who shares a good working relationship with the Governor, Senator Douye Diri had ought to concentrate on the established relationship with the governor rather than adulterously running around Heineken Lokpobiri.
The adulterous, scandalous conduct of the honorable member modelling around politicians for consideration of the office of the deputy governor, will dent the image and reputation of the governor and the government.
The group spokesman demanding the general public to be watchful, stated that Kolga leaders who are relations to Mrs Ebizi Brown, are the people desperately pushing for the nomination of the lawmaker to deputize the Governor, Senator Diri.
He said the Kolga leaders pushing for Mrs Ebizi nomination as deputy, are leaders whom Governor Douye Diri has munificently made billions, but not satisfied because they want to control the government, and the leadership structure of the state.
The group cautioned Senator Douye Diri to dismiss the consideration of the Sagbama lawmaker for the replacement of the departed deputy governor, Mr Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo.
“The office of the deputy governor demands capacitated individual of reliability, trustworthy, hardworking, resourcefulness, competence, and not adulterous character displayed by the lawmaker from Sagbama.
“Is it the honorable minister working for governorship ambition that will nominate her or the governor whom she share good working relationship.
“Even in Sagbama local government area, there more competent, reliable individuals working closely with the governor that are worthy to deputize Governor Diri, and definitely not adulterous, unreliable Ebizi Brown.
The group urged Senator Diri to look inward in Sagbama for competent, dependable, trustworthy individual that will prioritize Bayelsans before personal interest to deputize him.
Ebizi Unreliable, Adulterous Conduct Modelling Around Lokpobiri Over Deputy Office – Kolga Group Alleges
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
