News
WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria
WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has advised public and private sector leaders to work together to tackle the root causes of hunger and build peace in Nigeria,
This advice was given by the Executive Director of the UN agency, Cindy McCain
while concluding a visit to Nigeria, stressed that there was urgent need for this step to be taken amidst rising food insecurity and malnutrition in Nigeria,
A statement by the WFP made available to our correspondent on Monday, said despite its huge agricultural potential, Nigeria is now in the grips a widespread humanitarian crisis driven by poverty, recurring conflicts, and climate shocks – with 32 million people struggling to feed themselves.
The statement said during McCain’s five-day visit to Nigeria, she witnessed firsthand how conflict, climate shocks, and high food and fuel prices are driving millions into acute hunger and malnutrition.
The statement quoted McCain to have said: “What I have seen and heard during my visit to Damasak, in Borno State, is deeply disturbing. An urgent humanitarian crisis is unfolding in northern Nigeria, as the number of children with acute malnutrition soars and the ongoing conflict prevents millions from returning to their homes and lands,” adding that: “People there desperately need peace and stability, so farming and food production can restart and this hunger crisis can be halted in its tracks.”
According to the statement, the prolonged humanitarian crisis – worsened by an economic slowdown, high inflation, rising food prices, and the recent floods – is endangering the lives of children, pregnant women and girls, and entire communities. Over 3.6 million people in northeastern and northwestern states have been forcibly displaced by conflict and are not able to access their farmlands or engage in other economic activities. With devastating flooding hitting Maiduguri in September – described as the worst in 30 years – more than 400,000 people have also been temporarily displaced in and around the city.
The statement further said malnutrition is rising, with nine million children at risk of acute malnutrition in the country. The number of children admitted for severe and moderate acute malnutrition has risen by 40 and 70 percent compared to 2023.
It said WFP is on the ground, supporting government-led efforts responding to the most urgent needs, and doing all it can. So far this year, WFP has assisted 1.6 million people affected by the ongoing humanitarian crisis, distributing 32,000 metric tons of food and US$40 million in cash entitlements, decrying that the scale of the crisis calls for a response that goes beyond these badly-needed humanitarian interventions.
The statement said while in Abuja and Lagos, McCain engaged with senior government and private sector leaders, creative industries, international financial institutions, the United Nations, and donor representatives to explore African-led solutions, and discuss the role of the private sector and entrepreneurship in addressing food insecurity and youth employment.
It said McCain noted that “WFP’s commitment to delivering lifesaving assistance and tackling the root causes of hunger in Nigeria is stronger than ever. By mobilizing funding, technology, and ambitious new partnerships between the private and public sectors, we can support rural livelihoods, strengthen food systems and offer sustainable solutions to food insecurity that empower local communities,”
It admitted that Nigeria – West Africa’s most populous and largest economy – has the potential to play an outsize role in stabilizing the region and helping to ensure sustainable food security and nutrition for millions, provided the country receives the attention commensurate with its strategic importance.
The statement revealed that WFP is working with the Government of Nigeria and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) on a ground-breaking food systems programme that will help communities escape the cycle of conflict by building the resilient, inclusive and effective food systems they need to achieve self-reliance.
Through the “Out of Conflict, into Solutions” food systems strategy, WFP will seek to address post-harvest losses, limited access to agricultural inputs, poor dietary diversity and limited access to food in Nigeria.
It further said: “Agriculture is a cornerstone of Nigeria’s economy – providing employment to more than a third of the labor force – up to 80 percent in rural areas. The private sector is one of the key contributors to developing extensive supply chains, including production, processing, manufacturing and distributions.”
It however explained that WFP needs US$228 million to stave off catastrophe in northeast Nigeria and meet the food and nutrition needs of 1.6 million over the next six months.
WFP Calls for Public/Private Collaboration to Tackle Hunger in Nigeria
News
Zulum Present as INEC Monitors APC Ward Congress in Mafa Ward
Zulum Present as INEC Monitors APC Ward Congress in Mafa Ward
By: Our Reporter
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, on Thursday, travelled to Mafa to witness the All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congresses.
Zulum, who was accompanied by APC’s Deputy National Chairman, Ali Bukar Dalori, Senator Kaka Shehu Lawan, Hon Mohammed Jaha (Babawo), and the Speaker of Borno State House of Assembly, expressed satisfaction with the seamless and orderly conduct of the process.p

The governor’s entourage also comprises the APC State Chairman, Bello Ayuba, Senator Baba Kaka Bashir Garbai, among other senior party executives.
Party members across Mafa ward converged to elect new executives. The exercise, which was held simultaneously across the 312 wards in Borno State, was conducted by consensus to ensure unity and harmony within the party.

Borno State Commissioner for Health, Professor Baba Mallam Gana, chaired the ward congress committee, while the Mafa Local Government Electoral Officer of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Salihu Muktari, monitored the exercise.
Addressing party faithful shortly after the conclusion of the exercise at Mafa, Zulum expressed gratitude for the peaceful atmosphere. He commended the party’s national leadership for deploying a competent team to oversee the process.
“I am happy with the smooth conduct of this exercise. There was no rancour, no bitterness, and that is the spirit of the APC family. I want to commend the committee sent by the APC national headquarters for their diligence and fair play,” Governor Zulum stated.
The governor also lauded party stakeholders and members in Mafa for their maturity and commitment to the party’s internal democracy, urging the newly elected ward executives to see their emergence as a call to service.

“To the new executives, this is not about personal glory but about taking the party to greater heights at the grassroots. You are the closest to the people, and you must work to unite our members and strengthen our structure,” he added.

The All Progressives Congress (APC) Ward/Local Government Congresses Screening Committees, Screening Appeals Committees, as well as the Ward/LGA Congresses (election) and Congresses Appeal Committees members, headed by Prophet Jones Erue, were also in Mafa to observe the conduct of the exercise.
Zulum Present as INEC Monitors APC Ward Congress in Mafa Ward
News
European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project
European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project
By: Michael Mike
The European Union has pledged €22 million in grant funding to support Nigeria’s large-scale fibre-optic expansion, reinforcing the Federal Government’s drive to transform the country’s digital backbone.
The grant, announced in Abuja on Wednesday, will be channelled through the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and on-granted to the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy for implementation of the government’s Project BRIDGE initiative.
The EU funding will sit alongside an €86 million loan from the EBRD’s own resources, pending final approval. The operation represents the EBRD’s first major sovereign financing in Nigeria since the country formally became a shareholder of the bank last year.
Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Bosun Tijjani described the agreement as a decisive step toward delivering the BRIDGE project within schedule, noting that Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda depends heavily on robust and inclusive broadband infrastructure.
He said the partnership reflects growing confidence in Nigeria’s digital roadmap and expressed optimism that 2026 would mark a year of tangible progress in cooperation between Nigeria and the EU.
EBRD President, Odile Renaud-Basso, who is on an official visit to Nigeria, said the bank was proud to collaborate with the EU to expand digital infrastructure in Africa’s largest economy. She noted that the technical cooperation embedded in the financing is structured to crowd in private capital while ensuring secure, resilient and inclusive connectivity.
EU Ambassador to Nigeria, Gautier Mignot, underscored the strategic importance of digital networks to both Nigeria and the EU, stressing the need for trusted, high-integrity infrastructure built to international standards.
Project BRIDGE aims to deploy 90,000 kilometres of fibre-optic cables nationwide through a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) that will be capitalised with sovereign loans and private sector participation. In addition to the EBRD financing, the Federal Government is expected to receive support from the World Bank and the African Development Bank.
The EU’s €22 million package combines technical assistance with investment support to speed up project preparation and strengthen implementation capacity. It will fund low-level design work for about 40,000 kilometres of the planned network, including route mapping, crossing surveys, digital planning, quality assurance and security risk assessments aligned with global best practices.
Officials said this groundwork would provide the SPV with a ready-to-execute blueprint, enabling immediate rollout once financing arrangements are finalised and the vehicle is established with at least 51 per cent private sector ownership.
Beyond infrastructure, the grant is expected to deepen Nigeria’s digital skills base. About 2,000 technicians will receive specialised training, while small subcontractors will gain access to pooled procurement systems and equipment subsidies designed to reduce entry barriers.
Authorities estimate that these measures could lower deployment costs by between 20 and 30 per cent, while promoting adherence to Nigerian and EU quality standards and encouraging participation of European technology suppliers in the fibre supply chain.
The intervention forms part of the EU’s broader Global Gateway strategy, which supports investments in digital infrastructure, public services and human capital development across partner countries.
For Nigeria, the partnership signals renewed international backing for its ambition to build a resilient, open-access broadband network capable of driving economic growth, innovation and digital inclusion nationwide.
European Union Commits €22m to Accelerate Nigeria’s Fibre Network Under BRIDGE Project
News
Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno
Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have repelled suspected insurgents and neutralised a suspected informant during operations in Ngamdu area of Borno.
Military sources said the action followed signals intelligence indicating that suspected Boko Haram elements were massing.
At about 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 18, troops carried out a fire mission on the identified area, forcing the insurgents to disperse and abort their suspected plan.
Shortly afterward, at about 3:45 a.m., troops engaged and neutralised a suspected insurgent informant who attempted to breach the trench defensive position in Ngamdu.
Sources said the troops immediately conducted a search of the surrounding area after the encounter but made no further contact with fleeing suspects.
Troops repel insurgents, neutralise suspected informant in Borno
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News10 months agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
