Connect with us

Crime

Blasphemy: Police, security managers meet with religious stakeholders in Borno

Published

on

Blasphemy: Police, security managers meet with religious stakeholders in Borno

Blasphemy: Police, security managers meet with religious stakeholders in Borno

By:  Bodunrin Kayode

Borno state Police Command has called on religious stake holders to avoid any thing that would disturb the current peace especially in the Borno state capital.

Commissioner of Police, Abdu Umar who addressed key stake holders yesterday said that Borno cannot afford to be complicit with the obvious tension generated last week in which a student was lynched by fellow students for alleged blasphemy in sokoto

Having seen the rising tension created by the lynching of Deborah Samuel for alleged blasphemy, the Command, engaged critical stakeholders in a peace building dialogue to forestall any unrest. 

Addressing the stakeholders,  Commissioner, Abdu Umar said that intelligence report indicated that certain elements were already gearing up for a showdown in the city in reaction to the Sokoto incident but that police personnel, along with other security agencies like the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), Department of the State Security Services ( DSS), and the military, deployed to maintain decorum were already nipping it in the bud.

Also Read: ISWAP: Two Commanders,  Bako Gorgore, Abu Ibrahim killed in…

He said that the meeting with critical stakeholders and religious leaders in the state followed after meeting with the Deputy Governor, Umar Kadafur, who directed him to call on leaders of the two major religions to maintain a truce.

He directed religious leaders to speak with their followers on the need to maintain peace and safety in the midst of security challenges confronting Sokoto and threats of retaliation in some states.

 Commissioner Abdu reiterated that in the past 12 years,  Borno state had suffered a lot of security challenges adding that they can’t afford an addition

He said that they have not only engaged the religious leaders, the police and other security agencies, since the unrest started in Sokoto, but have deployed personnel across the state capital and also stepped up surveillance accordingly. 

Abdu stressed that in the case of any eventuality, they are also going to embark on a show of force from today Sunday to alert residents that the security agents are on red alert, and battle-ready to pounce on anybody that will want to attempt to disturb public peace across Borno State.

Responding, the Christian Association of Nigeria CAN Chairman Borno State chapter, Bishop Mohammed Naga, assured that Christian leaders in the state have captioned their members to exercise patience and not take any laws into their hands.

Naga said already letters were sent to all the pastors across the state telling them to inform their members that they dont want any reaction from them and they should go about their normal activities without any fear of attack.

Sheikh Muhammad Abulfathi who spoke on behalf of the Chief Imam Laisu Ahmad, charged Borno residents to desist from the temptation of commenting on religious posts on social media as those comments are the root causes of the crises which could be inciting and harmful to others leading to violent reactions among the public.

Those who attended the meeting included the representatives of the Nigerian Army, DSS, NSCDC, Borno State Government, Christian and Muslim religious leaders.

Blasphemy: Police, security managers meet with religious stakeholders in Borno

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Gunmen Kidnap Several Individuals in Zangon Kataf LGA

Published

on

Gunmen Kidnap Several Individuals in Zangon Kataf LGA

By: Zagazola Makama

Unidentified gunmen reportedly invaded a Fulani settlement (ruga) in Dusten Bako Village, Ikulu Chiefdom, Zangon Kataf Local Government Area, on the night of April 3, 2025, at approximately 9:30 PM.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the attackers abducted an unspecified number of individuals, whisking them away to an unknown destination.

Upon receiving the distressing news, security forced, mobilized immediately to the scene to assess the situation.

Efforts to track down the perpetrators and ensure the safe rescue of the kidnapped victims are currently underway.

Gunmen Kidnap Several Individuals in Zangon Kataf LGA

Continue Reading

Crime

Bandits Kill Father and Son, Abduct CPG Member in Zamfara

Published

on

Bandits Kill Father and Son, Abduct CPG Member in Zamfara

By: Zagazola Makama

On April 4, 2025, a tragic incident occurred along the Bungudu-Duhuwa Road in Zamfara State, where a father and son, Garbati (Fnu) and his son Abubakar Babuga Garbati, were attacked and hacked to death by unknown assailants.

The attackers also stole their motorcycle. The police were promptly alerted, and the bodies were transported to the General Hospital Bungudu for autopsy before being released to their family for burial.

Later that same evening, around 1830hrs, a group of approximately 20 armed bandits ambushed members of the Community Police Guards (CPG) stationed at a checkpoint between Sauna and Gidan Kano along the Sokoto-Gusau highway.

The bandits overpowered the CPG, abducting one of their members, Asiru Dawa, and taking him to an undisclosed location.

The military forces have since launched an operation to track down the bandits and rescue the abducted CPG member.

Bandits Kill Father and Son, Abduct CPG Member in Zamfara

Continue Reading

Crime

Two Killed in Suspected Militia Attack on Farmland in Taraba

Published

on

Two Killed in Suspected Militia Attack on Farmland in Taraba

By: Zagazola Makama

The Taraba State Police Command has confirmed the killing of two young men in a suspected militia attack on a farmland in Wukari Local Government Area of the state.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred on Friday morning at about 7:30 a.m. at Mecapacynth area of Wukari, according to a report received from the Wukari Divisional Police Officer.

The sources said that the incident at about 8:30 a.m., stating that four attackers, one of them armed with an AK-47 rifle and suspected to be members of a Tiv militia group, opened fire on the victims while they were working on the farm.

The victims, identified as Masandi Moses Bulus, 21, and Mikhima Moses Basungyu, 19 – both of Jukun ethnic group – sustained fatal gunshot wounds.

Security forces swiftly moved to the scene, took photographs, and evacuated the victims to the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari, where they were confirmed dead by medical personnel.

Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the perpetrators of the attack.

Meanwhile, security operatives have been deployed in the area and are working with community leaders and relevant stakeholders to calm tensions and prevent further escalation.

Two Killed in Suspected Militia Attack on Farmland in Taraba

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights