News
Borno: Zulum to resuscitate moribund tomato factory

Borno: Zulum to resuscitate moribund tomato factory
By: Michael Mike
Borno State Government is set to revive the state-owned tomato factory.
The plan of the government was announced by the State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum when he paid an unscheduled visit to the factory located along the Maiduguri-Damaturu highway.
During the visit, Zulum directed that while the state would resuscitate the existing facilities at the factory, additional modern facilities would be procured to enhance its operational capacity.
Zulum noted that in preparation for reviving the factory, the state has established 5 hectares of drip-irrigated tomato farms, which will be expanded to about 100 hectares when it starts full-capacity operation.
He said: “My main intention is to see how we shall resuscitate the moribund factories at the Borno industrial park, particularly the paste factory. I understand that the challenge is the lack of raw materials that would provide a feed stock for the tomato factory.”

He added that: “We have decided to establish a robust drip irrigation system using net house to produce tomatoes. I am happy to note that we are working under a public-private partnership to establish at least a minimum of 100 hectares of tomato plantation.
“You can see we started with 5 hectares, and because of the variety of tomatoes we produce here, each hectare will produce about 60 tons. When we expand it to 100 hectares, we will get nothing less than 6,000 tonnes.”
Earlier last week, the governor was at NEITEL Shoe and Tenary Factory to assess the progress made in its operations.
The company had been resuscitated through a public-private partnership aimed at creating jobs and generating wealth for the state.
Speaking during the visit to NEITEL, said: “The government has entered a public-private partnership to run this important factory. You have seen it all: the factory now operates at about 70% capacity. Let me commend our partner for partnering with Borno State Government.”
He added that: “You can see the company is ready to export about four containers of hide and skin. The products were taken to Italy, and it has been certified that our products are of good quality.
The Governor also stated that: “The factory now produces about 100,000 hides and skin monthly. This is part of government’s effort to create jobs, generate income and expand the sources of wealth creation in the state.”
Borno: Zulum to resuscitate moribund tomato factory
Crime
Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze

Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze
By: Zagazola Makama
A deadly bandit attack on Rijiya Village in Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State has left eight people dead and a primary school set on fire.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that at approximately 1600 hours, on April 3, a group of armed bandits, heavily armed with AK-47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, invaded the village.
The assailants opened fire indiscriminately, resulting in the deaths of two members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CPG) and six civilians.
In addition to the loss of lives, the bandits set fire to a primary school that was being occupied by the CPG members.
Bandits Attack Rijiya Village in Zamfara, Kill Eight, Set School Ablaze
News
Troops Foil Militia Attacks, Recover Weapons in Plateau State

Troops Foil Militia Attacks, Recover Weapons in Plateau State
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Operation SAFE HAVEN (OPSH) successfully foiled militia attacks on communities in Bokkos Local Government Area (LGA) of Plateau State on April 2, 2025, as part of ongoing efforts under Operation LAFIYAN JAMA’A. The targeted communities included Tamiso, Daffo, Manguna, Taddai, and Hurti.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that during the operation, the troops engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon one AK-47 rifle and six motorcycles.
The troops also discovered traces of blood along the criminals’ withdrawal route, indicating possible casualties.

On April 3, 2025, a follow-up clearance operation was conducted at Hurti community. Troops engaged the militias in the mountainous area, overwhelming them with a high volume of fire and causing them to retreat.
The operation resulted in the recovery of a locally fabricated pistol, six rounds of 9mm ammunition, and four motorcycles.
Meanwhile, troops at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Gashish launched offensive operations at Dome Hill, Rahul Mazat, and Anguwa Mamuda in Barkin Ladi LGA.
Acting on credible intelligence, the troops located a hideout used by notorious criminals, recovering one fabricated revolver rifle, one round of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition, and cash amounting to 89,800 Naira. However, the suspects had already fled before the troops arrived.

In another operation, troops of Sector 2 OPSH, alongside local vigilantes, targeted bandits along Kampani Zurak Road in Wase LGA. The operation resulted in the neutralisation of one bandit and the recovery of an AK-47 rifle magazine and a motorcycle. Pursuit of the remaining bandits is ongoing.
Operation SAFE HAVEN remains committed to protecting lives and property in the region, ensuring the continued disruption of criminal activities in Plateau State.
Troops Foil Militia Attacks, Recover Weapons in Plateau State
News
Fire Outbreak Razes IDP School in Sokoto State

Fire Outbreak Razes IDP School in Sokoto State
By: Zagazola Makama
A fire outbreak occurred at the school section of an IDP camp located within the compound of Alhaji Umarun Kwabo in Sokoto State on April 3, 2025, at approximately 1608 hours.
The fire destroyed several classrooms, including Primary 5 and 6, JSS 1, SS3 classes, the Skills Acquisition Center, and male student hostels.
Fortunately, no injuries or fatalities were reported as a result of the inferno. A combined team from the the Federal and State Fire Services and other security agencies responded promptly and extinguished the fire after a prolonged battle.
The cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the value of the property lost is still to be ascertained. Investigations are ongoing.
Fire Outbreak Razes IDP School in Sokoto State
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident