News
Climate Resilience: Amina Mohammed Calls for Global Unity for Sustainable Future for All
Climate Resilience: Amina Mohammed Calls for Global Unity for Sustainable Future for All
By: Michael Mike
The need for Africa to unite in solidarity to forge a climate resilient, equitable and a sustainable future for all in the continent was emphasised at the Africa Social Impact Summit (ASIS) 2025 co-convened by the United Nations in Nigeria and Sterling One Foundation
Speaking at the Summit, which held on 10 – 11 July 2025 in Lagos, the United Nations Deputy Secretary-General. Amina Mohammed in a video message, said: “Africa is stepping up with vision, leadership and courageous solutions. Now it is the turn of the international community to rise to the occasion. Let us unite in solidarity to forge a climate resilient equitable and a sustainable future for all.”
She explained that Africa required a renewed surge of global solidarity from governments, development banks, the private sector and philanthropic organisations to unlock the finance, the technology, and the partnerships essential for transformative change across the continent.
She disclosed that: “Our UN Resident Coordinators and Country Teams are diligently collaborating with governments and the private sector to support nationally led initiatives that would translate plans and action, and ambition to the tangible impact on the ground.”

On the progress so far made in the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), she noted that: “As we stand, five years away from the 2030 deadline for the Sustainable Development Goals, it is imperative to recognize that our progress is faltering and in many instances regressing, rising debt, declining investment, dwindling aid, and the escalating impacts of climate change are hindering the very nations that have contributed the least to these crises.”
The UN Deputy Secretary-General said 3 billion people reside in countries that allocate more resources to interest payments than to vital sectors like health and education. This, she said, was an untenable situation.
She recalled that during the recent 4th International Conference on financing for development, world leaders came together to adopt the Seville Commitment which delineates three urgent priorities: first, catalysing large scale investment for sustainable development, second, addressing the intertwined debt and development crisis and third, reforming the international financial architecture to better serve the most vulnerable among us central to this commitment must be robust climate action.
Mohammed on climate change and energy access, said that Africa was already grappling with the dire consequences of the climate crisis, yet it was also a continent rich in innovation, resilience and visionary leadership.
She explained that: “The Mission 300 initiative aimed at connecting 300 million people to affordable reliable and clean electricity exemplifies how climate action can align with sustainable development, moreover, through nationally determined contributions.”
She further emphasised that “African nations are crafting blueprints for a just transition integrating climate objectives with energy, food systems, job creation and inclusive economic growth, however, the ambitious goals we set must be met with commensurate support.”
Climate Resilience: Amina Mohammed Calls for Global Unity for Sustainable Future for All
News
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
By: Michael Mike
A human rights organisation, Speak Out for Justice Advocacy Ltd./Gte. (SOJA), has condemned the reported abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, describing the incident and the alleged killing of a teacher, Mr. Michael Oyedokun, as “a case too many.”
In a statement issued on Thursday, the group expressed deep concern over reports that armed attackers abducted teachers and students from schools within the council area around May 15, 2026, while Mr. Oyedokun, a Mathematics teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was reportedly killed during the incident.
The organisation said several victims were still believed to be in captivity awaiting rescue.
SOJA, led by its Founder and Executive Director, Hameed Ajibola Jimoh, commiserated with the affected families and communities, warning that repeated attacks on schools and civilians across parts of the country were becoming alarming.
According to the advocacy group, the incident, if confirmed, raises serious constitutional and human rights concerns under both Nigerian law and international treaties to which Nigeria is a signatory.
Citing Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution, SOJA stressed that “the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government,” while Sections 33, 34 and 35 guarantee the rights to life, dignity and personal liberty.
The group also referenced Nigeria’s obligations under several international and regional legal frameworks, including the United Nations-backed International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), and the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACRWC).
SOJA argued that the obligations imposed by these instruments go beyond symbolic commitments, requiring authorities to take practical and preventive steps to protect lives, especially those of vulnerable groups such as school children and teachers.
“The implication of these obligations in the present circumstances is that government responsibility extends beyond merely reacting after tragic events occur,” the statement said.
The organisation acknowledged reports that security agencies had intensified rescue operations and investigations, but maintained that recurring attacks on schools demanded more decisive and proactive measures.
“This is a case too many,” the statement added.
SOJA therefore called for the immediate intensification of lawful rescue efforts for those still in captivity, a thorough investigation into the incident, prosecution of perpetrators, strengthened security around schools and vulnerable communities, and adequate support for affected victims and families.
The group further urged the government to undertake a comprehensive review of strategies aimed at preventing future attacks on educational institutions.
“Teachers should not become targets. Schools should not become zones of fear. Children should not bear the burden of insecurity,” the organisation stated.
SOJA Condemns Alleged Abduction of Teachers, Students in Oyo, Demands Urgent Rescue Efforts
News
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.
The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.
According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
News
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.
The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.
The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Politics12 months ago2027: Why Hon. Midala Balami Must Go, as Youths in Hawul and Asikira/Uba Federal Constituency Reject ₦500,000 as Sallah Gift
