Connect with us

Crime

Cocaine deal: Abba Kyari, others arraigned in court as 2 co-defendants plead guilty

Published

on

Cocaine deal: Abba Kyari, others arraigned in court as 2 co-defendants plead guilty

Cocaine deal: Abba Kyari, others arraigned in court as 2 co-defendants plead guilty

By: Michael Mike

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA on Monday arraigned the suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police Abba Kyari and six others before Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court 8, Abuja, on an eight count criminal charge bordering on conspiracy and drug trafficking.

When the charge in the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CR/57/2022, was read to the accused, DCP Abba Kyari; ACP Sunday Ubia; ASP James Bawa; Inspector Simon Agirigba; Inspector John Nuhu, who are all suspended police officers, pleaded not guilty while two other co-defendants Chibunna Umeibe and Emeka Ezenwanne pleaded guilty.

In the charge, NDLEA accused Kyari and the four other police officers of conspiracy, obstruction, and dealing in cocaine worth 17.55 kilogrammes. They were also accused of tampering with 21.25k kilogrammes of cocaine unlawfully.

The accused had arrived at the Federal High Court premises under heavy security by NDLEA Strike Force officers. While the five-member prosecution team was led by the agency’s Director of Prosecution and Legal Services, Sunday Joseph, while Chief Kanu Agabi, SAN led 13 other lawyers to represent Kyari and Ubia. ASP James Bawa had Michael Mbanefo and Mariam Osene as defence counsel while M.Y Chiara and two others represented Agirigba and Nuhu, with EU Okenyi appearing for Umeibe and Ezenwanne.

Also Read: Buni approves the employment of 196 health workers in Yobe

After the accused took their pleas, Chief Agabi told the court that he had filed bail applications for the 1st and 2nd defendants since Tuesday 1st March 2022, a bid the prosecution opposed with a counter application. Justice Nwite in his remarks said he was yet to get the prosecution’s counter application and thereafter adjourned further hearing on bail to Monday 14th March. 

The defence counsel urged the trial judge to remand the defendants in NDLEA custody instead of the Nigerian Correctional Centre, a request the prosecution said would not be objected on the ground that the defendants will be responsible for their own upkeep.

The defence counsel expressed fear that the review of facts against the 6th and 7th defendants who pleaded guilty will prejudice the case and therefore urged that the court put the review on hold pending the conclusion of the trial of the 1st to 5th defendants. 

The NDLEA prosecution counsel however opposed the plea citing an existing judgment. He urged that the court should proceed with the sentencing of the 6th and 7th defendants since they had pleaded guilty adding that it will be totally unfair to keep them in prison pending the trial of the 1st to 5th defendants.

In all, five bail applications were filed for the 1st to the 5th defendants while the 8th defendant who is also a police officer is still at large. Justice Nwite adjourned the case to 28th of March 2022 for a review of facts and hearing of the case while all respondents are to be remanded in NDLEA facility pending the hearing of the bail application next Monday.

Cocaine deal: Abba Kyari, others arraigned in court as 2 co-defendants plead guilty

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police arrest officer previously at large over missing firearms in Riyom Division in Plateau

Published

on

Police arrest officer previously at large over missing firearms in Riyom Division in Plateau

By; Zagazola Makama

The Plateau State Police Command has arrested an officer who had been at large in connection with the loss of firearms and ammunition from Riyom Division.

The officer, Insp. Iliya Dauda, an armourer at Riyom Division, was taken into custody following investigations into the missing weapons.

The arrest is expected to enable the prompt recovery of the lost firearms and ammunition.

A police sources promised that further updates on the recovery operation will be communicated.

Police arrest officer previously at large over missing firearms in Riyom Division in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Five Fulani youths killed by Berom militia in latest unprovoked attack in Plateau

Published

on

Five Fulani youths killed by Berom militia in latest unprovoked attack in Plateau

By: Zagazola Makama

Five Fulani youths were killed on Feb. 19 in an unprovoked attack by suspected Berom militias while returning from Dorowan Babuje in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area (LGA) of Plateau state.

Zagazola report that the victims, Tahiru Muhammad, Jibrin Salisu, and Abdulmumin Isyak, were ambushed around 7:00 p.m. while traveling through the Jong Fulani community. One of the assailants reportedly beheaded a victim, while the others were shot dead. Empty 7.62mm Special cartridges and a motorcycle were recovered at the scene.

The sources said that the deceased family were told that security personnel have been deployed to trace the perpetrators but as usual nothing will be done.

The incident is part of a broader pattern of coordinated attacks targeting Fulani settlements and livestock across Plateau State.

On Feb. 11 at about 8:30 a.m., six cows belonging to Alhaji Bello Haruna and Iliya Yusuf, both of Rwam Village in Mushere District, Bokkos LGA, were reportedly poisoned at Tulus and Rwam villages. Two of the cows died instantly, while four others were slaughtered after showing signs consistent with poisoning.

In the same development, Militia suspected to be from the Birom ethnic group attacked a Fulani settlement in Tulus Village, Horop, setting ablaze two houses belonging to Kadiri Adamu and Hashimu Adamu. Community sources said the coordinated targeting of livestock and residences indicated deliberate mischief designed to provoke tension and displacement.

The Bokkos incident followed an earlier case in Riyom LGA. The Fulani community in Riyom reported that a cow belonging to Anas Likita, a resident of Luggere in Jol Ward, was attacked and seriously injured by individuals suspected to be youths from Jol community.

Abdullahi Yusuf, the Leader of the Fulani community in Riyom, while calling for calm, condemned the act. “Such incidents only increase tension and undermine ongoing efforts toward peace and stability in Riyom LGA,” the community said in a statement signed by Abdullahi Yusuf on Feb. 9.

Zagazola report that the latest incidents align with a disturbing pattern of systematic attacks on pastoral assets across Plateau State. On Feb. 2, one cow was shot dead at Weren Camp, Riyom LGA, while three others were poisoned in Kwi Village. Reports said toxic substances were concealed inside oranges and deliberately placed along grazing fields. The attack occurred in the afternoon.

Also on Feb. 2 in Kwi Village, three cows were poisoned using what veterinary sources described as a sophisticated method. toxic substances hidden inside oranges placed along known grazing paths. The cattle ingested the poisoned fruits and collapsed. The method was assessed as deliberate, malicious and targeted.

The sophistication of hiding poison in oranges suggests premeditation and an intent to kill livestock without direct confrontation. The attackers fled immediately after the shooting at Weren Camp, leaving the community in fear and uncertainty.

This pattern of attacks intensified since December 2025. On Dec. 12, armed elements attacked Nding Community in Fan District, Barkin Ladi LGA, and rustled approximately 137 cattle belonging to three herders. The attackers were heavily armed, operated in groups and drove the cattle into forested terrain.

Barely 24 hours later, on Dec. 13, at Kukukah Community in Jos East LGA, 34 cows were rustled by armed assailants. That same day, in Kwi Village, Riyom LGA, nine cows reportedly died after ingesting poisoned substances, following earlier rustling incidents. Community leaders said the sequence of events suggested emerging reprisal dynamics.

On Dec. 16, armed Fulani bandits attacked an illegal mining site at Tosho Community, Fan District, Barkin Ladi LGA, allegedly to recover previously rustled cattle. The attack resulted in 12 fatalities, three abductions and several injuries, and triggered further retaliatory violence across the zone.

Between Dec. 18 and 19, retaliatory attacks were reported in Dorong Village, Foron District, Barkin Ladi LGA, where four children were killed, and in Gero Village, Jos South LGA, where additional livestock were killed in reprisal actions.

On Dec. 27, five Fulani youths returning from Kara Cattle Market were ambushed along Bukuru Express Road near Angle D in Jos South LGA. The victims sustained critical gunshot wounds and were evacuated to the Jos University Teaching Hospital for emergency treatment.

The attacks are increasingly targeted, symbolic and livelihood-destructive. The objective appears to be forced displacement of pastoralists in Plateau state and demographic pressure in affected LGAs.

Zagazola report that the cumulative intelligence points to a structured escalation cycle, livestock poisoning leads to cattle rustling, which in turn triggers inevitable retaliatory raids and civilian casualties.

While armed militias and bandit elements are exploiting grievances. Weak deterrence is allowing non-state actors especially those inaugurated by the Plateau state government to function as de facto security forces in some rural areas, thereby committing heinous atrocities on innocent fulani communities under the guise of protecting communities from armed bandits.

Zagazola warned that failure to decisively interrupt the cycle risks normalising reprisal attacks, expanding militia influence and eroding state authority in Plateau state.

Five Fulani youths killed by Berom militia in latest unprovoked attack in Plateau

Continue Reading

Crime

Army Arrests Boko Haram Drone Supplier, Neutralises Top Commander in Madagali, Adamawa

Published

on

Army Arrests Boko Haram Drone Supplier, Neutralises Top Commander in Madagali, Adamawa

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI in coordination with local vigilantes and hunters, have neutralised a top Boko Haram commander and arrested a suspected drone and logistics supplier in separate operations in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State.

Sources said that at about 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, troops engaged suspected Boko Haram fighters at an ambush along the Visik River line, resulting in the neutralisation of one terrorist identified as Abdullahi Mafa, a former hybrid commander in Madagali.

In a subsequent raid at Madagali Motor Park around 6:30 p.m., the troops arrested 64-year-old Dauda Usman Gubula, a suspected Boko Haram collaborator and drone supplier. Items recovered from the suspect included two aerial drones and 20 solar power banks, officials added.

The suspect is currently in custody undergoing investigation, while troops continue to intensify operations aimed at dismantling Boko Haram networks and restoring security in the region.

Army Arrests Boko Haram Drone Supplier, Neutralises Top Commander in Madagali, Adamawa

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights