Connect with us

News

Court remands TikToker over false obituary video of President Tinubu

Published

on

Court remands TikToker over false obituary video of President Tinubu

By: Zagazola Makama

A Chief Magistrate Court in Abuja has ordered the remand of a social media influencer, Ghali Isma’il, at the Keffi Correctional Centre for allegedly publishing a false video announcing the death of President Bola Tinubu.

Zagazola Makama learnt that the Department of State Services (DSS) arrested Isma’il following a video he uploaded on his verified TikTok handle, @bola_asiwaju, in which he claimed that the President had died after allegedly being poisoned.

The 29-year-old suspect, a native of Jogana Village in Gezawa Local Government Area of Kano State, was arraigned on a two-count charge bordering on publication of false news and inciting disaffection against the government.

The first count, titled Publication of false news with intent to cause offence against public peace, stated that Isma’il, on or about July 20, 2025, falsely claimed in the video that he had confirmed from official sources that President Tinubu was critically ill, allegedly after being poisoned. The charge added that the intent was to cause public alarm and disturb the peace.

The offence, according to the prosecution, is punishable under Section 418 of the Penal Code Act, Cap P3, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

The second count, Inciting disaffection to the government, accused the defendant of attempting to bring contempt or incite feelings of disaffection against the President by spreading falsehood. The prosecution cited Section 416 of the Penal Code as the relevant legal provision.

The presiding magistrate, Ekpeyong Iyang, after listening to submissions by the prosecution and the defence, denied the bail application filed by Isma’il’s counsel.

He ordered the accused to be remanded at the Keffi Correctional Centre pending the continuation of trial, which was adjourned till August 19.

Isma’il’s arraignment came days after a U.S.-based professor of journalism, Farooq Kperogi, apologised for publishing a false report alleging that former President Muhammadu Buhari and his wife, Aisha, were divorced at the time of his death.

In a similar development, Finnish-based separatist agitator, Simon Ekpa, is currently standing trial in Finland for terrorism-related charges stemming from online broadcasts supporting Biafran separatism.

Prosecutors in Finland are seeking a six-year prison sentence for Ekpa, whose online activities, they argue, constitute terrorism under Finnish law.

Last week, in Abuja, Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), told a Federal High Court that his online broadcasts were mere jokes, despite prosecution claims that the content led to the deaths of hundreds.

Court remands TikToker over false obituary video of President Tinubu

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Borno LG boss warns residents against illegal tree felling

Published

on

Borno LG boss warns residents against illegal tree felling

By Peter Uwumarogie

Kwaya Kusar Local Government Area of Borno State, on Thursday launched its tree planting campaign, while distributing 150, 000 tree seedlings to residents.

The campaign is in collaboration with the State’s Ministry of Environment and the state’s Agency for the Great Green Wall.

Launching the campaign in Bila Kutiki community in Kwaya Kusar LGA, Engr Mohammed Habib, Borno Commissioner for Environment commended the council for the initiative which he said aligned with Gov. Babagana Zulum’s environment agenda.

Habib, represented by Mr Aliyu Yusuf, the Director of Forestry and Wildlife Services at the Ministry stated that Borno State faced serious environmental challenges such as desertification, deforestation, soil erosion, and the impact of climate change.

He said that it was in that regard that his ministry would continue to provide support and embrace partnership to ensure the success of the afforestation initiative of the state.

He urged the Kwaya Kusar community to maintain the trees, stressing that “planting is easy, but nurturing to maturity is what will give us the real impact.”

Hon. Dahiru Hamma, the chairman of Kwaya Kusar LGA said that the move to distribute the seedlings was a response to the activities of illegal tree felling and its impact on communities in the council.

Hamma said that the gesture would complement the state government’s efforts at combating climate change and protecting the environment for the future generations to inherit a greener and healthy environment.

“We are today launching and releasing 150,000 seedlings which comprises Casia plant, black current, Mahogany, Eucalyptus, Tamarine, Cashew, malena, mango, zaytoun, Bamboo tree, neem plant, amongst others,” he said.

The chairman appealed to residents to ensure adequate protection and sustainability of the trees, while warning against illegal tree felling in the council.

According to him, anyone caught engaging in illegal tree felling will be prosecuted in accordance with the laws of the state.

He commended Zulum and the Emir of Biu, Alhaji Mustapha Umar-Mustapha II for their support and commitment to environmental restoration.

Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, the secretary of Biu Emirate Council who represented the emir, urged residents to ensure sustainability of the trees, stating that trees among others help serve as wind breakers to protect houses.

Borno LG boss warns residents against illegal tree felling

Continue Reading

News

Zulum Hosts 4th UN Offer Meeting, Seeks Stronger UN, Donor Investment for Borno’s Recovery

Published

on

Zulum Hosts 4th UN Offer Meeting, Seeks Stronger UN, Donor Investment for Borno’s Recovery

By: Our Reporter

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has called for stronger collaboration and co-investment between the state government, the Federal Government, the United Nations, development partners, international financial institutions, and the private sector to accelerate recovery and sustainable development in the state.

Zulum made the call on Thursday at the Council Chambers of the Government House, Maiduguri, at the fourth Project Board Meeting of the United Nations Offer to Support the Borno Model and the Steering Committee Meeting of the Peacebuilding Fund.

A Federal Government delegation, the United Nations, Development Partners, and Donor agencies attended the meeting.

The governor said the decision to hold the high-level meeting in Maiduguri reflected Borno’s strategic importance in national and international efforts towards peacebuilding, stabilization, recovery and sustainable development in Nigeria’s North-East.

He commended the United Nations, donor countries and development partners for their financial and technical support, noting that their interventions had improved the lives of vulnerable people and communities affected by more than a decade of insurgency.

According to Zulum, the Peacebuilding Fund and the UN Offer have helped to move support beyond immediate humanitarian relief to critical areas such as reconciliation, reintegration, livelihood support, social cohesion and institutional strengthening.

“We recognize that progress in Borno is a product of strong partnerships among the state government, the United Nations, development partners, communities, the Federal Government and other stakeholders,” Zulum stated.

He described the development of the Borno Model legal framework as a major product of the partnership between the state government and the United Nations, saying it would provide a stronger institutional foundation for peace, recovery, social cohesion and development.

Zulum said Borno was at a critical transition point, moving from humanitarian response to recovery, reconstruction, resilience and long-term development.

He identified the state’s priority areas to include rebuilding conflict-affected communities, restoring basic services, expanding education and skills development, creating jobs, supporting women and young people, strengthening local institutions, and enabling displaced and returning residents to rebuild their lives in dignity.

The governor also advocated increased investment in agriculture, small and medium-scale enterprises, vocational training, digital opportunities and value-chain development.

“With the right investment in infrastructure, skills and enterprise development, Borno can move from being viewed primarily through the lens of crisis to being recognized as a center of economic opportunity in the North-East,” he added.

The governor said the Borno State Government has committed more than 70% of its budget over the last seven years to security, support for internally displaced persons and refugees, reconstruction of schools, houses, health facilities and markets, and livelihood opportunities for people affected by the insurgency.
He said the investments aimed to restore dignity, build resilience, and sustain peace across the state.

“Our collective objective must now be to build on what has been achieved, scale up what works, and ensure that the people of Borno fully benefit from the transition from humanitarian assistance to medium- and longer-term sustainable and durable solutions,” he said.

The governor commended the Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu; the United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Mr Mohammed Fall; and the UNDP Resident Representative, Ms Elsie Attafuah, for their support and commitment to Borno’s recovery.

He also acknowledged contributions by Germany, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Office of the National Security Adviser, the Armed Forces, the Nigeria Police Force, the Federal Ministry of Justice and other stakeholders.

Zulum reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to provide the leadership, institutional support, and coordination needed to sustain partner-supported programs beyond their project lifespan.

Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, noted that the challenges confronting the Northeast should not be viewed solely as humanitarian crises, but also as opportunities for long-term investment and sustainable development.

He stressed the need for coordinated financing and closer collaboration among the federal and state governments, the United Nations, and development partners to achieve the desired outcome.

The Minister particularly commended Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, for providing trusted leadership and coordinating the state’s response to the complex challenges confronting its people.

He also lauded the United Nations, development and donor partners for the continuous support to the victims of the Boko Haram conflict.

United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator,
Mr. Mohammed Malick Fall and UNDP Resident Representative, Ms. Elsie Attafuah, expressed their commitment to continue supporting the project and commended the leadership of Governor Babagana Zulum.

Zulum Hosts 4th UN Offer Meeting, Seeks Stronger UN, Donor Investment for Borno’s Recovery

Continue Reading

News

Operation FANSAN YAMMA: Troops Rescue 10 Kidnap Victims in Kebbi, Zamfara, Sokoto

Published

on

Operation FANSAN YAMMA: Troops Rescue 10 Kidnap Victims in Kebbi, Zamfara, Sokoto

By Zagazola Makama

Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have rescued 10 kidnapped civilians in separate operations across Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara States, further intensifying military pressure on terrorist and kidnapping networks operating in the region.

The latest rescue operations, conducted between August 18 and 19, followed a combination of intelligence-driven searches, aggressive patrols and rapid responses to terrorist activities across the Joint Operations Area.

In Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State, troops conducting a patrol on August 19 encountered an ambush by suspected terrorists.

The troops immediately engaged the attackers, forcing them to flee in disarray and abandon the area.

During the encounter, soldiers rescued five civilians who had been held by the terrorists. The victims were subsequently reunited with their families.

Troops also recovered two motorcycles abandoned by the fleeing terrorists.

In a separate operation on August 18, troops acting on intelligence concerning the abduction of three persons launched a search-and-rescue operation in Danko Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State.

The operation resulted in the successful rescue of all three victims.

The rescued civilians were profiled before being handed over to the appropriate local authorities for further assistance and reunification with their families.

Similarly, troops responded to intelligence on terrorist activity in Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State on August 18.

The rapid mobilisation of troops forced the terrorists to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding terrain.

Two kidnapped victims were rescued during the operation.

The victims had sustained gunshot wounds during their captivity and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for urgent treatment.

Military sources said troops have continued efforts to track the fleeing terrorists and prevent them from regrouping or carrying out further attacks in surrounding communities.

The series of operations highlights the importance of rapid military response to distress calls and actionable intelligence, particularly in areas where terrorists and kidnappers exploit difficult terrain to hold victims and launch attacks on civilians.

The Theatre Command has commended the troops for their vigilance, courage and swift response during the operations, while reaffirming its determination to sustain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area.

Residents have also been urged to continue providing timely and credible information to security forces to support ongoing operations and enhance the protection of lives and property.

The Theatre Command said the cooperation of communities remains critical to denying terrorists freedom of action and ensuring the safe return of kidnapped victims.

Operation FANSAN YAMMA: Troops Rescue 10 Kidnap Victims in Kebbi, Zamfara, Sokoto

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights