Connect with us

News

Crisis brews in Gombe SDP as Yakubu emerges acting chairman

Published

on

Crisis brews in Gombe SDP as Yakubu emerges acting chairman

The Gombe State chapter of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) has appointed a new chairman, Aaron Yakubu to serve in acting capacity following the suspension of its state chairman, Comrade Adamu Abubakar Modibbo, over allegations of mismanagement, lack of transparency, and misuse of party resources.

His suspension was announced at a news conference held in Gombe on Saturday by the party’s Welfare Secretary, Usman Yahaya, on behalf of concerned members of the state executive.

Reading the statement, Yahaya said there were countless complaints against the now suspended chairman, whom he said had side-lined party stakeholders and running the party like his personal property.

“Since Comrade Modibbo assumed office, the party has experienced no meaningful progress. Instead, the leadership claims he has used his position to witch-hunt loyal stakeholders and frustrated committed party members for his personal gain.”

He accused Modibbo of systematically “caging” the party’s executive members and aspirants, depriving over 90% of both returning and newly acting executive members of access to official SDP membership cards.

He further alleged that the selection of party candidates has been done without due process or consultation, with names being announced solely via national platforms involving prominent figures like Malam Nasir El-Rufai, thereby side-lining the state executive.
Yahaya also accused the suspended chairman of allegedly using his personal residence as the de facto party office.

This, the executives say, violates proper procedures and comes despite funds being made available to renovate the official state party office and rent offices across the local government areas.

“As it stands, the SDP in Gombe State does not have a functional or recognised operational office,”

In the light of the above weighty and numerous allegations against Modibbo, the Welfare Secretary said that the Gombe State chapter of the party has taken decisive action by suspending Comrade Adamu Abubakar Modibbo as chairman with immediate effect.

“In this regard, we hereby announce that the current State Secretary of the party, Mr. Aaron Yakubu, will now serve as the Acting State Chairman of the SDP in Gombe.

“Similarly, Ambassador Lukman Adamu Elkanem, previously serving as the Acting Assistant Public Relations Officer, has now been appointed as the Acting State Secretary of the party.”

Yahaya, on behalf of the state chapter of the SDP, appealed for intervention from the national body of the party to look into the allegations against the former chairman and to restore discipline, accountability, and credible leadership to the Gombe chapter of the party.

Speaking shortly in an interview, Yakubu said he would work to build inclusiveness in the party and ensure all party members were carried along in line with the constitution of the party.

He stated that out of the 13 working committee members of the party, nine were present and in support of the suspension of Modibbo.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

ECOWAS Stategizes to Get US$2.61 Billion to Fund Standby Force

Published

on

ECOWAS Stategizes to Get US$2.61 Billion to Fund Standby Force

By: Michael Mike

Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has meant to fine tune the strategies to adopt to meet the US$ 2.61 billion annually required to emplaced 5,000 personnel for the West African Standby Force

The Ministers of Defence and Finance from the regional bloc gathered in Abuja on Thursday and Friday to put final touches on how to get the needed fund for the regional counter terrorism force.

The region has targeted 5, 000 standby force to tackle security challenges in the West African region. On a short run, ECOWAS is taking off with 1,650 force.

A Force of 5,000-man brigade will cost the region US$ 2.61billion in the first year of taking off.

It was agreed that the region will have to cough out an estimated sum of US$ 481.5million for the 1,650 man brigade

However, there is the challenge of how to fund the already activated standby force.

This brought about the meeting of ECOWAS Finance experts on the modalities for funds mobilisation for the activation of a regional force to fight against terrorism.

Speaking at the meeting, the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Dr. Omar Alieu Touray said that the emergence of terrorist group activities within and around West Africa has become a matter of serious concern to governments and citizens of the region.

Touray stressed that all terrorists’ activities have serious implications for international trade and investment in the region.

He added: “The activities of terrorist groups could dismantle regional trade and the movement of people, goods, and services within and across the West African region, thus reducing economic and social interaction among ECOWAS states. In effect, terrorism in whatever form has been identified by ECOWAS leaders as a major threat to the integration effort of the body.”

He also pointed out that “the Sahel region, in particular, has seen a dramatic increase in terrorist operations, driven by political instability, weak governance, and ongoing conflicts. This shift marks a notable change from previous years, where the Middle East was the primary region affected by terrorism.

“Faced with the reality of terrorism as a phenomenon in the ECOWAS region, the regional body has been actively engaged in counter-terrorism efforts, deploying a multi-faceted approach. The approach covers developing a comprehensive Counter-Terrorism Strategy and Implementation Plan, establishing a Standby Force, and fostering regional cooperation on intelligence sharing, training, and humanitarian interventions.”

The meeting looked at an impact assessment of the increase of the community levy on the economy of Member States and the cost-effectiveness of the options.

“As I conclude my statement, allow me to say that fighting terrorism remains part of our top priority, and with your support and commitment, ECOWAS citizens will be protected from this menace, and our Community will continue to thrive,” he noted.

On his part, Nigeria Minister of Defence, Mohammad Badaru Abubakar said ineecurity has not only undermine the collective peace and security of the region but also threaten the economic stability and democratic aspirations of our people.

He said: “We gather at a time when our region faces complex and evolving threats of terrorism and violent extremism, transnational organized crimes, and the resurgence of unconstitutional changes of government. These challenges not only undermine our collective peace and security, but also threaten the economic stability and democratic aspirations of our people.”

He pointed out that the session “marks a critical step forward in our shared commitment to activate a regional counterterrorism force, a mechanism that embodies our regional resolve to safeguard sovereignty, uphold constitutional order, and protect the lives and livelihoods of our citizens.

“As Ministers of Finance and Defence, we stand at the intersection of strategy and sustainability. The decisions we make here must reflect both the urgency of our security imperatives and the prudence required to ensure long-term viability.

“It is in this regard, that I wish to commend the ECOWAS Commission for the actionable proposal put forward for our consideration, and the Experts whose diligent work and insightful recommendations have laid the foundation for our deliberations. Their report presents us with key issues that demand our careful consideration, ranging from financing modalities and operational readiness to governance structures and accountability frameworks.

“As we move forward with these proposals, it is essential to underscore the importance of aligning our strategic objectives with predictable, sustainable and transparent funding modalities.

“To this end, may I invite the Ministers to consider these modalities not just as financial instruments, but as enablers of long-term impact.

“Whether through the adjustment of Community Levy, recovery of Community Levy arrears, GDP-based contributions, direct budgetary allocations, blended financing, or targeted partnerships, it is my belief that each approach has been designed to support scalability, accountability, and measurable outcomes.”

He also assured them of Nigeria’s commitment “to working collaboratively to refine these pathways and ensure that the chosen funding structures reflect both national priorities and regional aspirations.”

ECOWAS Stategizes to Get US$2.61 Billion to Fund Standby Force

Continue Reading

News

How climate-smart agriculture is empowering women in Adamawa

Published

on

How climate-smart agriculture is empowering women in Adamawa

Struck by insurgency in 2014, resulting in their displacement from Borno State to Adamawa State, life became meaningless for many of the women having fled their villages with their families to escape the harsh and devastating reality driven by the violent activities of Boko Haram.

Relocating to Adamawa State, many of the women who are mainly smallholder farmers had their plights worsened by the impacts of climate change, which further reduced their chances of having a good life for themselves and their children.

In the face of those difficulties, some of the women found hope in agriculture, a familiar terrain but with a new approach – Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA).

Sharing their experiences in a chat with Our Correspondent during a field engagement organised by Propcom+, a UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)-funded programme, Rebecca James, Mary Peter and Rachael John narrated how embracing climate-smart agriculture has helped transformed their lives and livelihoods.

Rebecca James, a 70-year-old widow testified to the benefits of using climate-resilient seeds.

She said cultivating soya beans with improved seeds had significantly boosted her yield.

“From my small piece of land, I harvested 15 bags of soya beans last year.

“The proceeds helped me build a one-room apartment.

“I urge other women to embrace improved seeds to earn more and live better lives,” she said.

Mary Peter said embracing climate-smart agriculture had helped her recover from indebtedness, stressing that she had paid all her debtors from the proceeds of cultivating improved seeds.

According to her, she harvested over 20 bags of paddy in 2024 which earned her enough profit beyond her expectations.

She said she made N1 million from cultivating rice in 2024 and was able to “gallantly” provide food for her children.

“I can tell you that with the support from Asmau Farms and Propcom+ in terms of seed multiplication which ensured the availability of the right seeds to cultivate, we all have moved up, away from acute poverty.”

For Rachael John, a 54-year-old maize farmer, life has become meaningful as she no longer experienced the losses she usually did witnessed while cultivating maize before she embraced the use of improved seeds.

John said she had used the proceeds from her vocation to establish another business where she sells grains.

“If most women farmers use the kind of seeds we are using, poverty will be reduce in rural areas; this is the best way to empower women and reduce poverty while boosting food availability.”

The farmers commended Asmau Farms Limited and Propcom+ for providing all the support especially the seed and technical support to them.

They, however, appealed to Propcom+ to further assist them in providing water to enable them to carry out irrigation farming so that they could cultivate their crops all-year-round.

How climate-smart agriculture is empowering women in Adamawa

Continue Reading

Crime

Gunmen kill one, abduct two women in Kano

Published

on

Gunmen kill one, abduct two women in Kano

By: Zagazola Makama

Armed men have killed one person and abducted two women in Kwanar Dangora community, Kiru Local Government Area of Kano State.

Zagazola Makama report that the attack occurred at about 12:30 a.m. on Friday when the hoodlums, in large numbers and armed with dangerous weapons, invaded the residence of one Alhaji Ibrahim at Kwanar Dangora.

According to sources, the assailants abducted the two wives of the victim, identified as Safara’u Ibrahim and Attine Ibrahim.

“In the process, one Abdul Usman, 27, of the same address, was shot dead by the attackers.

“Scene of the incident was visited, the corpse was released to his relatives for burial.

“Investigation has commenced and efforts are being intensified to rescue the victims unhurt, trace and arrest the culprits,”said sources.

Gunmen kill one, abduct two women in Kano

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights