Connect with us

National News

Drug war: Assets confiscation will weaken cartels – Marwa

Published

on

Drug war: Assets confiscation will weaken cartels - Marwa

Drug war: Assets confiscation will weaken cartels – Marwa

Chairman/ Chief Executive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (Rtd) advocated for the confiscation of assets of drug cartels, insisting that this would go a long way in weakening criminal narco networks.

Marwa made the advocacy on Tuesday while delivering a Nigeria’s statement at the virtual extraordinary session for Heads of National Drug Law Enforcement Agencies 

He charged other Heads of National Drug Law Enforcement Agencies in Africa to consider targeting the assets of drug cartels as a veritable tool that will weaken criminal narco networks.

He called on his colleagues in other countries to share experiences and best practices in efforts to address and counter the world drug problem.

According to him, “the disruption of the traditional criminal trafficking routes means that law enforcement personnel must be familiar with new technologies, techniques and strategies employed by organized criminal groups and traffickers. In order to proactively deal with these new challenges, there is, therefore, an urgent need to strengthen international cooperation in identifying and managing evolving challenges in drug trafficking. We must continue to weaken criminal drug networks through effective asset tracking and confiscation.”

Also Read: Alleged Shabbily Treated: Who Killed Dr. Obadiah Mailafiya?

He said: “We should, therefore, deepen international cooperation to address the increasing links between transnational organized crime, corruption, illicit financial flows, trafficking in drugs and related crimes. Let us not spare any effort in eliminating barriers to effective collaboration as we demonstrate commitment to our shared responsibilities.”

Marwa, while stating that Nigeria has remained dynamic in her counter narcotic operations in line with the global challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic and the desire by drug trafficking cartels to explore new markets and routes in furtherance of their criminal activities, told the global audience that:

“We are taking steps to tackle the online distribution of narcotic drugs, which has become prevalent among organised drug trafficking criminal groups, particularly since the global shut down last year.”

He disclosed that: “In the last eight months, Nigeria has made over 8,634 arrests with 1,630 convictions.  Over two million kilogrammes of drugs seized with over 100 Billion in cash and seized drugs.”

He listed other proactive steps taken by Nigeria to address and counter the various aspects of the drug problem, adding that: “We have developed the 4th edition of our National Drug Control Master Plan (NDCMP) 2021-2025, with four strategic pillars namely: Supply reduction, Demand reduction, Access to Controlled Medicines for medical purposes, Governance and Coordination.

“As part of our control programmes, the country recently launched the War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) to further amplify the national drive on both drug supply and drug demand reduction. As a result, we are collaborating with all levels of government, civil-society groups, Non-governmental Organizations, schools and relevant institutions.”

He emphasised the importance of strengthening international cooperation in addressing drug trafficking and other forms of transnational organized crimes, especially on the African continent. 

He said: “Nigeria is committed to strong regional alliances which in the short term could be fostered through Memoranda of Understanding between our different agencies in the African Continent and beyond.  A good example was the recent Memorandum of Understanding signed between the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and Drug Law Enforcement Agency of the Gambia (DLEA).”

Drug war: Assets confiscation will weaken cartels – Marwa

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

CDHR, CAIDOV Ask SERAP to Respect Court Judgment in DSS Defamation Suit

Published

on

CDHR, CAIDOV Ask SERAP to Respect Court Judgment in DSS Defamation Suit

By: Michael Mike

The Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) has urged the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) to respect the judgment of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in the defamation suit instituted by two operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS).

In a statement issued on Thursday, the rights group said all individuals and organisations, including civil society bodies, must obey decisions of competent courts in line with the rule of law and democratic principles.

CDHR maintained that while advocacy organisations and citizens possess constitutional rights to freedom of expression and public criticism, such rights must be exercised responsibly and within the bounds of the law.

According to the organisation, the court, after reviewing evidence presented before it, found that the publication made against the DSS operatives was defamatory and injurious to their professional reputation.

The group consequently urged SERAP to comply with all lawful directives contained in the judgment pending any appeal and refrain from statements capable of escalating tensions or undermining judicial authority.

It also advised parties and public commentators to avoid inflammatory narratives that could deepen institutional distrust or portray the judiciary as partisan without credible evidence.

“The rule of law remains the foundation of every democratic society. Human rights advocacy must coexist with accountability, fairness, and respect for due process,” the statement said.

CDHR further stressed that no organisation is above the law, just as no security agency should be immune from lawful scrutiny.

The statement was jointly signed by CDHR President and Secretary of the Board of Trustees, Debo Adeniran, and the group’s National Publicity Secretary, Jeremiah Onyibe.

Meanwhile, the Centre Against Injustice and Domestic Violence (CAIDOV) also criticised SERAP over its reaction to the judgment, accusing the organisation of attempting to ridicule the court’s decision.

In a statement signed by its Executive Director, Comrade Gbenga Soloki, CAIDOV said SERAP had continued to pin on its X handle claims that DSS operatives invaded its Abuja office on September 9, 2024, despite what it described as a misrepresentation of facts.

“We in the human rights community should lead by example. We should not be seen as the very persons breaching human rights in the name of free speech. Human rights is universal. It is for everybody. We should not trample on the rights of others simply because they chose to be security agents,” the group stated.

CAIDOV argued that the N100 million damages awarded against SERAP for defamation should not be viewed as extraordinary, citing examples of global firms sanctioned over misconduct.

“Very big corporations around the world have at one time or the other been caught lying or cheating. Just last year, Deloitte, PwC and EY Netherlands were fined $8.5 million for cheating, while KPMG Netherlands was fined $25 million in 2024 for widespread cheating on training exams. What then is the big deal in a Nigerian court imposing a N100 million fine on SERAP for defamation?” the statement added.

The group also faulted Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, for allegedly criticising the judgment instead of encouraging an appeal process.

“SERAP had nearly two years while the matter lasted in court to assemble the best lawyers in their arsenal. They failed to. All their legal luminaries waited until they lost the case, then turned to the media to wage propaganda against two DSS operatives,” CAIDOV said.

It added that it was ironic for SERAP, which had often relied on Nigerian courts to hold public institutions accountable, to now question the judiciary because the verdict did not favour it.

“If people like Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa feel they know more than our revered judges, it is not too late for him to transmute from a lawyer to a judge,” the group declared.

CDHR, CAIDOV Ask SERAP to Respect Court Judgment in DSS Defamation Suit

Continue Reading

Military

Power Minister-Designate Clarifies Promise on Fixing Nigeria’s Grid in Three Months

Published

on

Power Minister-Designate Clarifies Promise on Fixing Nigeria’s Grid in Three Months

By: Michael Mike

The camp of Nigeria’s Minister-designate for Power, Olasunkanmi Tegbe, has dismissed media reports claiming he promised to fix the country’s troubled national power grid within three months, describing the reports as inaccurate and misleading.

In a statement issued on Thursday by his spokesperson, Adeola Adelabu, the minister-designate clarified that no such commitment was made during his Senate screening on May 6, 2026.

According to the statement, Tegbe had clearly explained that timelines for major reforms in the power sector were still being developed and would depend on technical diagnostics as well as consultations with key stakeholders.

The clarification followed widespread reports suggesting that the minister-designate pledged to completely resolve Nigeria’s persistent electricity grid problems within a three-month period.

The statement stressed that while Tegbe assured lawmakers that initial efforts aimed at stabilising the national grid would begin within his first 100 days in office, he also acknowledged that deeper structural reforms in the sector could take significantly longer.

It quoted the minister-designate as saying that reforms relating to sector credibility, gas supply, metering and operational efficiency may require about one year to achieve meaningful progress.

“My promise to this chamber and to Nigeria is that Nigerians will see visible improvement in the sector,” Tegbe reportedly told senators during the screening.

He further pledged to stabilise the national grid, modernise electricity infrastructure, strengthen commercial frameworks within the sector and enforce accountability across the entire power value chain.

On electricity tariff reforms, Tegbe reportedly assured that vulnerable households would be protected while government works to balance affordability, sector sustainability, investor confidence and operational efficiency.

The statement also emphasised that the minister-designate remains open to constructive engagement with the media and encouraged journalists to seek clarification where necessary in order to avoid misinformation.

According to the spokesperson, Tegbe views the media as critical partners in nation building and in helping Nigerians understand the scope and direction of the proposed reforms in the power sector.

Nigeria’s electricity sector has continued to face major challenges, including repeated national grid collapses, inadequate generation capacity, weak transmission infrastructure, gas supply constraints, poor metering and mounting debts across the value chain.

The minister-designate’s clarification comes amid heightened public expectations over the ability of the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to address the country’s longstanding electricity crisis and improve power supply to homes and businesses.

Power Minister-Designate Clarifies Promise on Fixing Nigeria’s Grid in Three Months

Continue Reading

National News

Giwa detention facility completes 1,450 terrorism cases, moves 500 suspects for trial

Published

on

Giwa detention facility completes 1,450 terrorism cases, moves 500 suspects for trial

By: Zagazola Makama

The Joint Investigation Center located at Giwa Barracks, Maiduguri, says it has concluded investigations in about 1,450 terrorism-related cases, while over 500 suspects have recently been transferred for prosecution, many of whom were subsequently convicted.

The Commander of the facility, Brig.-Gen. Yusuf Audu, disclosed this on Wednesday in a detailed briefing delivered by Capt. Obinwale, where he outlined the structure, operations and reforms of the multi-agency detention and investigation centre supporting counter-terrorism efforts in the North-East.

Audu said the facility, established as a unified interrogation and screening hub for suspects arrested during counter-insurgency operations, remains central to Nigeria’s fight against Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgents.

He explained that all suspects processed through the centre undergo structured investigations, legal review, and eventual classification into prosecution, rehabilitation, or reintegration pathways, depending on findings.

“After investigation, a complex casework group reviews all reports and provides legal advice. Based on the outcome, detainees are categorised into three groups: prosecution, rehabilitation, and reintegration,” he said.

He disclosed that “recently, the centre moved over 500 suspects for trial, most of whom were convicted,” adding that the development reflects improved coordination among security and justice institutions handling terrorism cases.

Audu said the centre operates as a multi-agency platform comprising personnel from the Nigerian Army, Defence Intelligence Agency, Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services, Nigerian Correctional Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, and Nigeria Immigration Service, alongside legal experts from the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

According to him, the arrangement ensures a holistic approach to terrorism investigations and strengthens the integrity of prosecution processes.

He noted that suspects are received with preliminary investigation reports from frontline units, formally documented, and assigned to investigators drawn from various security agencies.

The commander said detainees are kept in segregated facilities, with special provisions for women and children, while minors accompanied by mothers are provided with basic education and care within the centre.

He added that medical support is a key component of the facility’s operations, with isolation and treatment available for detainees suffering from illnesses such as tuberculosis, in collaboration with humanitarian partners.

Audu said the centre maintains structured feeding arrangements, with three meals daily provided to detainees, supported by improved water supply systems, including a 40,000-litre solar-powered borehole constructed with support from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

He also disclosed that inmates are provided with clothing, toiletries, and hygiene materials upon admission, while periodic fumigation is carried out to maintain sanitation standards.

According to him, detainees also benefit from physical and psychological support programmes, including access to sports, indoor games, and supervised exercise periods aimed at improving mental and physical well-being.

Audu said the facility also operates a “restoration of family links” programme, through which detainees communicate with relatives with support from international humanitarian organisations, including the ICRC.

On legal processes, he explained that investigations are conducted under the Terrorism Prevention Act of 2011, as amended in 2013 and 2022, with judicial oversight through federal high court remand orders and adherence to human rights standards.

He noted that biometric data of all suspects is captured and stored in a national database to support intelligence gathering and future security operations.

The commander further highlighted collaboration with international partners, including the International Organization for Migration (IOM), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), UNICEF, and other humanitarian agencies, which have supported infrastructure development, training, and detainee welfare programmes.

He said UNODC constructed an evidence storage facility, while IOM established a data management system to improve screening and classification of suspects.

Audu added that UNICEF has provided educational materials for juveniles, while the ICRC continues to support healthcare delivery and humanitarian interventions within the facility.

He said detainees are also engaged in skill acquisition programmes such as tailoring, farming, poultry, fish farming, cap making, and bakery operations, designed to equip them with vocational skills for reintegration.

According to him, the bakery project recently established within the centre was introduced to reduce operational costs and enhance vocational training opportunities.

“The idea is to keep detainees engaged productively while awaiting investigation outcomes,” he said.

He explained that officers posted to the centre are carefully selected based on professional backgrounds in psychology, criminology, sociology, and related fields to improve investigative efficiency.

Audu also noted that the facility has received commendations from local and international dignitaries, including former defence ministers, service chiefs, United Nations officials, and counter-terrorism experts who have visited the centre.

He said the centre’s operations align with global best practices, particularly the United Nations principle that “effective counter-terrorism measures and protection of human rights are mutually reinforcing.”

Despite the achievements, he acknowledged challenges, including difficulty in securing witnesses from affected communities due to insecurity and fear of reprisal, as well as delays in prosecution processes which often prolong detainees’ stay in custody.

Giwa detention facility completes 1,450 terrorism cases, moves 500 suspects for trial

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights