Connect with us

News

Family Members Protest Death of Relative at Abuja Hospital

Published

on

Family Members Protest Death of Relative at Abuja Hospital
…Demands Its Shutdown

By: Michael Mike

The family of an asthmatic patient, Chiagoziem Dike, who died shortly after he was rejected by Federal Staff Hospital Gwarimpa, Abuja has called for the shutdown of the hospital.

Dike was said to have been rushed to the said hospital after experiencing asthmatic attack but was rejected without being given any attention.

Dike, 37 years old breathed his last on the way to another hospital, Federal Medical Centre, Jabi where he was subsequently pronounced dead

The family who stormed Federal Staff Hospital to protest the death of their late member, blamed his death on the failure of the staff on duty to attend to him when he was rushed to the hospital for medical attention.

According to the family members Dike would still have been alive if the hospital had attended to him.

The family members wondered how the hospital’s medical staff who were on duty at the time could not at least check him before sending him away.

According to the protesting family members, the hospital is alleged to be notorious for rejecting emergency cases and thereby causing untimely death of innocent patients.

Speaking to journalists, a lady who identified herself as late Dike’s friend said he was rushed to the hospital when he had an asthmatic attack in the early hours of April 25, 2024 only for the medical staff on duty refusing to open the gate.

She alleged that they also stopped the gate men who had shown concern from opening gate.

She told journalists that they had to rush the patient from the hospital after they were denied entry for two hours.

“It was unfortunate that we lost him while trying to rush him to another hospital, Dike could not make it to the next hospital,” he said while further stating that: “I was his friend, I was with him when he had the attack. He was asthmatic. He had this attack last week on the 25 of April at about 4:30 am we drove him to this hospital, two doctors came and refused to open the gate for us.

“The security guard wanted to help us but the doctors shouted and refused to open the gate for us we were there till 6am .

The late Dike’s sister, Onyiyechi who was apparently furious, said “the hospital is a death trap, we have a lot of testimony about this hospital and there negligence we’ve heard a lot about it, people even blamed us after Dike’s death that why did we kill him by bringing him here.”

She called on the hospital’s Chief Medical Director to get to the root of the matter, saying “It is your responsibility to know what happened in your hospital.”

Shouting at the hospital staff, she said: “My brother is 37 years old. Did you know how long he has been struggling? He is my parents only son. We can’t sleep. This incident could’ve been avoided but no, you guys choose to take his life.”

Another family member, Sarah Ameachi, who was among the protesters, narrated her own bitter expereince .

Ameachi said, she was left in her pool of blood in the labour room without any attention.

She said, “They left me in the labour room I was bleeding nobody cared for me there were supposed to be three nurses attending to me unfortunately one left me to bleed after I gave birth I told them that I am going to report them but they retorted that I should thank God I am even alive.

“So after that incident I went back with my son, today it’s my brother turn who they did not touch they did not even look at him. They referred him to Jabi, but at least they could’ve done something or checked what was wrong with him even if you don’t have the equipment.”

The protesting family asked that the hospital be shutdown within the next 72 hours.

Mr. Innocent Echi, an in-law to the late Dike who issued the 72 hours ultimatum said, “what really happened was that on the 25 April my in-law Chiagoziem Dike had an asthmatic attack as at 4 am and he was rushed down to the hospital. He stayed opposite star view meaning that from there to the hospital is one or two minutes drive so the family and friends thought it would be nice to take him to the nearest hospital which is the Federal Staff Hospital, when they brought him they refused to open the gate after so much pressure they opened it and they took him in.

The doctors just looked at him and said they can’t handle the case and ask them to take him to Federal Medical Center, Jabi on reaching there, they told us that he was dead.

“Our anger is that Federal Staff Hospital could’ve given him first aid. He won’t have given up

“We had them on record when they where talking carelessly, I cannot but question whether they graduated from medical college and who issues them license.

” We are demanding justices for Nigeria so far not just him, we are asking the Minister of Health and Minister of FCT and Hospital management board to look into it.

“We intend to write petition to the necessary authorities. This matter need to be investigated and look into, we need justice,” Echi said

He added “We brought him because he couldn’t breathe properly but the hospital failed to attend to him and let our brother die. They referred us to a far hospital and let him die like that”

The Chief Medical Director, Federal Staff Hospital, Gwarimpa, Dr. Adewumi however said he was never aware of all the cases mentioned by the protesters, describing the death of Dike as an unfortunate incident.

He however pleaded with the aggrieved protesters, promising to look into the matter.

He said, ” I am not aware of all these. I understand, I know what you are feeling .

“I am going to find out and get the nurses and doctors involved and get justice for you.

” We are going to investigate please calm down I am sorry for all that has happened I am going to look into it and all that happened that day.”

Family Members Protest Death of Relative at Abuja Hospital

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Published

on

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

By: Michael Mike

The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has reaffirmed its commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) through the deployment of secure digital identity systems aimed at improving governance, enhancing national security, and expanding access to public services.

Speaking at a digital conference in Abuja themed “Building Africa’s Digital Foundations Together,” the Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of NIMC, Abisoye Coker-Odusote, represented by the Head of Infrastructure Technology and Identity Databases, Mr. Sulaiman Falade, said the commission is driving reforms and institutional partnerships to build an inclusive and interoperable digital identity ecosystem.

According to her, the National Identification Number (NIN) has become central to Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda, serving as a key tool for identity verification, biometric authentication, and access to both government and private sector services.

She noted that following the Presidential Directive issued on April 5, 2024, Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) were mandated to integrate the NIN into digital services, particularly in areas involving data capture, identity verification, and authentication processes.

Coker-Odusote stated that NIMC has already established implementation structures to ensure compliance with the directive and to deepen the adoption of digital identity solutions across the country.

She further stressed that the Federal Government’s vision is to establish a unified, secure, and transparent digital identity framework capable of supporting efficient service delivery and accountability in governance.

The NIMC boss added that the commission is also advancing Nigeria’s broader digital governance goals through the deployment of the National Public Key Infrastructure (nPKI), a system designed to strengthen trust in digital transactions, safeguard citizens’ data, and promote secure online interactions.

She called on stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to continue supporting the implementation of Nigeria’s digital identity ecosystem, noting that the initiative is critical to national development and economic growth.

According to her, NIMC remains committed to leveraging technology and innovation to build a more connected, efficient, and resilient nation.

NIMC Pushes Digital Identity Reforms to Boost Service Delivery, Security

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Published

on

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

By: Michael Mike

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu recorded a landslide victory in the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential primary election in Mafa Ward of Borno State, securing all valid votes cast in the exercise held in the home ward of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum.

The direct primary election took place at Mafa Central Primary School under the supervision of the Chairperson of the Presidential Primary Election Committee, Hajiya Inna Alkali Imam.

According to the results announced at the ward level, Tinubu polled 2,175 votes, representing 100 per cent of the valid votes cast during the exercise. Out of the 2,277 registered APC members in the ward, 2,175 were accredited and participated in the voting process.

Tinubu’s challenger, Stanley Osifo, an APC chieftain and businessman from Edo State, failed to secure any vote in the ward.

Governor Zulum, who served as the Coordinator and Collation Officer for the presidential primary in the state, said he participated in the exercise as an indigene of Mafa Ward.

“I am from Mafa Ward, and that is why I am here to witness and participate in the exercise. We have two candidates, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Mr Stanley Osifo,” Zulum stated.

The governor also commended the peaceful conduct of the exercise and the turnout of party members.

“So far so good, we have conducted the presidential primary election for Mafa Ward, and I am very impressed with the turnout. We have a total of about 2,277 registered party members in Mafa Ward, out of which 2,175 were accredited for the voting, and all of them voted for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, while the other candidate scored zero,” he said.

The APC presidential primary is ongoing in several states across the country, with the party expected to collate and announce final nationwide results at a later date.

Tinubu Sweeps Zulum’s Ward with 100% Votes in APC Presidential Primary

Continue Reading

News

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Published

on

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

By: Our Reporter

The 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has recounted a touching childhood memory about former Nigerian Head of State Yakubu Gowon, portraying him as a compassionate leader who extended personal support to the family of a military officer killed during the 1966 coup.

Speaking during an interview on Signature TV, Sanusi reflected on his early years at St Anne’s Secondary School in Kaduna, where he attended school alongside Yusuf Pam, the son of the late Colonel Joseph Pam, one of the victims of the January 1966 Nigerian coup.

The former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria recalled that despite the demands of national leadership, Gowon took a personal interest in the wellbeing of Yusuf following the loss of his father. According to Sanusi, the former Head of State frequently sent handwritten letters to the young boy, signing them “Uncle Joe.”

“What I remember at the age of eight was that General Gowon, as Head of State, would send a handwritten letter to Yusuf signed ‘Uncle Joe.’ That is a window into the person you are dealing with,” Sanusi said.

The Emir noted that the gesture has remained vivid in his memory over the years because it revealed a caring and humane side of leadership during one of the most turbulent periods in Nigeria’s history. He suggested that Gowon’s actions reflected empathy and a sense of responsibility toward families affected by the political upheaval of the time.

Colonel Pam was among several prominent figures who lost their lives during the 1966 coup, a pivotal event that reshaped Nigeria’s political landscape and contributed to years of instability and conflict that followed.

I Remember At Age Of 8,General Gowon Would Send Hand Written Letter To Yusuf Signed Uncle Joe-Sanusi

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights