Connect with us

News

FCT Minister renews commitment to Abuja Water Project

Published

on

FCT Minister renews commitment to Abuja Water Project

FCT Minister renews commitment to Abuja Water Project

The Federal Capital Territory Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello, has restated his administration’s commitment to Abuja’s ongoing water works, among others.

Bello gave the assurance while conducting members of the FCT Senate Committee, who came for oversight function, round the water works and other project sites in Abuja, on Monday.

The minister said that the project was conceived to solve water problems in many parts of the city.

He appealed to the lawmakers to pay urgent attention to the project to enable the FCT Administration to meet up with it’s 20 per cent counterpart funding for the project.

Earlier, the Chairman of the Committee, Sen. Tolu Odebiyi, representing Ogun West Senatorial District, said the purpose of the project tour was to determine FCT’s priority projects.

This, according to him, will enable the committee to know where to appropriate funds to, during budget appropriation.

Odebiyi noted that having seen the projects and their importance, he would galvanize the support of other lawmakers, to ensure that the water works and other projects were completed in time.

” We want to know what their priority projects are, so that when they will present their budgets, we will know which funds to be made available for which project.

” I must also commend the team of FCTA for the extent of the work they are doing.  We have seen a number of projects and we are highly impressed.

” The greater Abuja Water Works is also a very impressive work and is being funded by China EXIM bank, a foreign currency bank. I think it is important that we look at that, so that we can make plans for the counterpart funding,” he added.

Also, the Project Manager of CGC, Zhang Xiang, the Contractor handling the project, said the speed of the water works project was impeded by paucity of funds.

Xiang urged the lawmakers to expedite action on the release of 20 per cent counterpart funding which Nigerian government through FCT, was supposed to provide.

According to him, the China EXIM bank has released about 150 million dollars from its 80 per cent counterpart funding, and may not release more if FCT fails to provide its own 20 per cent.

FCT Minister renews commitment to Abuja Water Project

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Published

on

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.

The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.

During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.

The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.

Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.

Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna

Continue Reading

News

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Published

on

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

By: Zagazola Makama

A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.

Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.

The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.

During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.

He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.

Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.

Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.

Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa

Continue Reading

News

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Published

on

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

By: Zagazola Makama

A delegation from the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) has visited the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri to strengthen ongoing counterterrorism cooperation in the Lake Chad region.

Security sources said the delegation, led by the Deputy Director of Operations/Cyber, Rear Admiral Cameron Chen, arrived at Maimalari Cantonment on May 20, where they were received by the Deputy Theatre Commander, Air Vice Marshal O.F. Akinboyewa.

The visit featured a detailed briefing on the current threat assessment in the North-East and ongoing counterterrorism and counter-insurgency operations across the theatre of operations.

Discussions during the engagement focused on enhancing intelligence sharing, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) support, logistics interdiction, and improved operational coordination within the Lake Chad basin.

The delegation also reviewed ongoing multinational efforts aimed at degrading terrorist capabilities and disrupting logistics networks across the region.

Security sources said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to continued collaboration under counterterrorism and counter-insurgency frameworks, including preparations for Operation Lake Sanity III.

The visit was described as successful and conducted without incident.

Authorities noted that international cooperation remains a key component in sustaining pressure on terrorist groups operating in the North-East.

U.S. AFRICOM Delegation Visits Maiduguri, Reaffirms Counterterrorism Cooperation

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights