Connect with us

News

Flood: Kadafur, Ndume leads Southern Borno stakeholders, others to sympathise with Zulum, Shehu

Published

on

Flood: Kadafur, Ndume leads Southern Borno stakeholders, others to sympathise with Zulum, Shehu

… Present N210 million raised from individual donations

By Inusa Ndahi

Deputy Governor of Borno state, Hon Umar Kadafur and Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume on Tuesday led a powerful delegation of Emirs, former Deputy Governors and stakeholders from nine (9) local government areas of Southern Borno Senatorial District where they offered their heartfelt sympathies to Governor Babagana Zulum and the Shehu of Borno, Dr. Abubakar Garbai Al-Amin Elkanemi over the unfortunate flood disaster that have ravaged the entire 70% of the Maiduguri city.

The incident which started on Monday evening has left thousands of people dead, as many others still missing, with displacement of over two million people, and critical infrastructures worth billions of naira destroyed.

Introducing the purpose of the visit to Governor Zulum at the Government House, Senator Ndume who represent the zone at Red Chamber said, “sequel to the live broadcast last week, where the governor seek for assistance from well-to-do individuals, the leader of Southern Borno, Kadafur summoned a meeting of stakeholders of the zone, where it was unanimously agreed that willing people in Southern Borno from Nigeria and in Diaspora should contribute to a dedicated account ( NORDISK GENERAL VENTURES, ZENITH BANK 1228484797)”.

Presently he said, as at Tuesday morning, over N200 million have been credited from various donors, in which, the Delegation were at the Government House to sympathise with the Governor, Government and the good people of the state, and to also present a cheque of N200 million to the state government to assist in managing the plights of the displaced victims.

Presenting the Cheque to Governor Zulum, the Deputy Governor Kadafur thanked all those who have contributed their widow’s mite in one way or other, which shows the kind of brotherhood that exists between the Government and the people of Southern Borno.

“We are here Your Excellency on behalf of the Southern Borno people. We are not here alone, but with four of our Emirs of Biu Alhaji Mustapha Umar Mustapha II, Uba, Alhaji Ali Ismaila Mamza, Shani, Alhaji Nasir Mohammed Mailafiya and Gwoza Local Government Area, Alhaji Mustapha Idrissa Timta and many other stakeholders.

“First, is to commisserate with you and the victims of the devastating flood disaster, and secondly to Pray Allah (God) to grant Aljannatul Firdaus to Souls of those who have died and wish the injured ones quick recovery.

” We are also here to present a dommy cheque of N200 million to the State Government Flood Basket Fund. We want to assure you that you are not alone, as the people of Southern Borno are strongly behind you in this trying moment”. Kadafur said.

He also told the governor that more donations are still expected, which would be channeled judiciously to the state government in providing relief items to the victims and the rebuilding process.

Responding Governor Zulum expressed his deep appreciation to the Deputy Governor and the entire people of Southern Borno for not only coming enmasse to pay him sympathy, but also donated a quantum amount, which would be used transparently for the purpose intended.

He therefore enjoined the people to unite, as according to him, without unity, there is no progress in all ramifications.

While at the Shehu of Borno’s palace which was also affected and hitherto submerged for the past four days before it was drained, Kadafur presented another Dommy Cheque of N10 million contributed to the Monarch to assist in the running and fixing of some property destroyed in the palace.

The Royal Father who gave a little background of the Alau Dam which caused the flood after it collapsed, appreciated all the Southern Borno People, especially those who have donated out of their pockets to complement efforts of the state government and the Emirate in its recovery after the incident.

He prayed Allah to bless all those who have contributed in one way or the other since the incident happened.

In a related development, Kano based Business Mogul, Alhaji Aminu Al Hassan Dantata has visited the state where he sympathized and gave his personal donation of N1.5 billion to the state Government.

Likewise, members of the Borno State House of Assembly led by the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Abdulkarim Lawan has offered their condolences to Governor Zulum and presented a wholesome donation of N60 million.

More so, the Chairman Board of the North East Development Commission, NEDC, General Paul Tarfa (Rtd) and the Managing Director, Goni Alkali and the management team paid their condolences to Zulum where the unveiled N3 billion relief fund to Small and Medium Scale Enterprises, SMEs and other assorted food items to the victims.

Flood: Kadafur, Ndume lead Southern Borno stakeholders, others to sympathise with Zulum, Shehu

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River

Published

on

Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops have rescued an official of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and arrested three suspects following a reported kidnapping and disruption of election-related activities in Yakurr Local Government Area of Cross River State.

Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:15 p.m. on May 22 when two groups of suspected kidnappers stormed the venue of ADC primary elections at Wummy Hotel, Ekori community.

According to the sources, one of the groups abducted the INEC returning officer, forced him into a vehicle, and compelled him to transfer ₦70,000 before fleeing the scene.

The second group, operating on a motorcycle, reportedly carted away ballot boxes from the venue.

Following intelligence on the incident, troops in Yakurr Local Government Area laid an ambush on the fleeing suspects, successfully intercepting the vehicle and rescuing the kidnapped INEC official.

Three suspects were arrested during the operation, while one armed suspect reportedly escaped into nearby bush with a pistol, a mobile phone, ATM card, travelling bag and other election materials.

The rescued official, arrested suspects and recovered vehicle are currently in military custody for further investigation and action.

Security forces have intensified efforts to track down the fleeing suspects and recover the stolen electoral materials.

Troops Rescue INEC Official, Arrest Suspects After Election-Related Kidnapping Attempt in Cross River

Continue Reading

News

Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State

Published

on

Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of 103 Battalion, in collaboration with the Nigeria Police Force, have raided a suspected cultists’ hideout in Achi town, Oji River Local Government Area of Enugu State, arresting three suspects and recovering items believed to be linked to criminal activities.

Security sources disclosed that the operation was carried out at about 4:30 a.m. on May 23 following credible intelligence on the activities of suspected cultists and other criminal elements operating in the area.

According to the sources, the troops stormed a residential building suspected to be used as a hideout by the criminal group.

During the raid, three suspects were apprehended, while items recovered include eight motorcycles and two buckets of locally made gunpowder.

The suspects and recovered items were subsequently handed over to the Nigeria Police Force for further investigation and necessary action.

Security authorities have continued to intensify joint operations in Enugu State and surrounding areas to curb cult-related activities and other forms of violent crime.

Troops Raid Suspected Cultists’ Hideout, Arrest Three in Enugu State

Continue Reading

News

Troops Launch Manhunt for Berom Militia After Attack on Cattle in Plateau Community

Published

on

Troops Launch Manhunt for Berom Militia After Attack on Cattle in Plateau Community

By: Zagazola Makama

Troops of Sector 4 Operation Enduring Peace have launched efforts to track down Berom Militia following an attack on cattle in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Security sources disclosed that the troops responded to a distress report at about 5:12 p.m. on May 23 concerning an attack on cattle belonging to a local herder identified as Alhaji Tambari at Gassa village.

According to the sources, the cattle were grazing in the area when the attackers struck and fled before the arrival of security personnel.

Upon reaching the scene, troops discovered that one cow had been shot dead during the incident.

The Berom militia were said to have escaped from the area before security operatives arrived.

Troops have since intensified efforts to identify and apprehend those responsible for the attack while patrols have been heightened within the community and surrounding areas to prevent further incidents.

Security authorities reiterated the commitment of Operation Enduring Peace to protecting lives and property and maintaining peace in communities across Plateau State.

Troops Launch Manhunt for Berom Militia After Attack on Cattle in Plateau Community

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights