News
Head of UN Counter-Terrorism Office Concludes Visit to Nigeria
Head of UN Counter-Terrorism Office Concludes Visit to Nigeria
By: Michael Mike
The Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations Office of Counter- Terrorism (UNOCT), Mr. Vladimir Voronkov, has concluded a week-long high-level visit to Nigeria.
During his visit which ended on Tuesday, Voronkov held a series of high-level bilateral meetings with the President of Nigeria, Bola Tinubu; Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar; Minister of Defence, Mohammed Badaru Abubakar; National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu; Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ahmed Rufai Abubakar; Chief of Army Staff, Major General Taoreed Lagbaja; Kayode Egbetokun, Inspector- General of Police and President of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)Commission, Omar Alieu Touray.
According to a statement by UNOCT, the visit was marked by fruitful discussions centred on enhancing cooperation on countering terrorism and violent extremism in Africa and advancing preparations for an upcoming African Counter-Terrorism Summit (“Abuja Summit”) planned in Abuja in 2024.
The statement revealed that the Abuja Summit will be organized under the auspices of the United Nations Secretary-General and the President of Nigeria. It will provide a forum for Member States, International and Regional organisations and Civil Society to review the terrorism landscape in Africa and agree on concrete priorities and measures to address this scourge in a comprehensive manner. A pre-Summit ministerial meeting will take place on 21 September on the margins of the 78th session of the UN General Assembly High-Level Week.
During the high-level visit, Voronkov signed two Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigerian Government, met with Nigerian Youth leaders and took part in a wreath-laying ceremony with Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu to honour the memory of 23 United Nations staff and civilians who died in the 2011 terrorist attack on the UN House in Abuja.
Voronkov also travelled to Maiduguri, Borno State, to see first-hand the impact of terrorism on the local population and the international community’s support in its rehabilitation and reintegration processes, as well as to raise international awareness about the persistent insecurity in the Lake Chad region.
In Maiduguri, he visited the Bulumkutu transit center, a UN-supported reintegration centre for women and children formerly associated with armed groups and the Joint Investigation Centre, a multi-agency hub for screening and investigating individuals detained during counter-terrorism operations in the North East and onward referral for prosecution or rehabilitation and reintegration.
Voronkov, while in Maiduguri, emphasized that UNOCT, through its Global Programme on Prosecution, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (PRR), will continue to support Borno State and Nigeria in these efforts.
The Under-Secretary-General and his UNOCT delegation return to New York from Abuja on Tuesday.
Head of UN Counter-Terrorism Office Concludes Visit to Nigeria
News
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 3 of Operation Enduring Peace intervened in a reported case of farm destruction caused by cattle grazing in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Security sources said the troops responded at about 1:30 p.m. on May 19 following a report that farmland belonging to one Bitrus Isah had been damaged by cattle allegedly owned by one Abdul Abu at Rigochongo village.

On arrival at the scene, the troops reportedly intercepted 49 cows and nine sheep grazing on the farmland without any herder present.
The livestock were secured to prevent further destruction and escalation of tension in the community.
Security sources said both parties involved were subsequently invited for amicable resolution of the dispute in order to maintain peace and prevent reprisal actions.
Authorities added that the intervention formed part of ongoing efforts to manage farmer-herder-related conflicts and sustain harmony across communities in Plateau State.
Troops Intervene in Farm Destruction Incident in Plateau
News
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 7, Sub-Sector 71 of Operation Enduring Peace have foiled a kidnapping attempt along a highway in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
Security sources told Zagazola that the incident occurred at about 12:15 a.m. on May 21 when troops deployed at Ungwan Gora checkpoint responded to distress information on suspected kidnappers operating along the road at Ungwan Dariya village.
The troops reportedly moved swiftly to the location, forcing the suspected kidnappers to abandon their mission and flee into surrounding areas.
During the operation, one victim was rescued with injuries sustained during the attack.
The victim was immediately evacuated to Confidence Hospital, Fadan Karshi, for medical treatment.
Security sources said efforts were ongoing to track and apprehend the fleeing suspects, while patrols had been intensified along the axis to prevent further incidents.
Troops Foil Kidnapping Attempt, Rescue Injured Victim in Kaduna
News
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
By: Zagazola Makama
A suspected collaborator of kidnappers has died after becoming unconscious while in military custody in Nasarawa State.
Security sources said troops of Sector 2 under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) intercepted the suspect at about 7:00 a.m. on May 19 at Ancha community in Akwanga Local Government Area.
The suspect was reportedly apprehended at Anguwan Makama following allegations of involvement in activities linked to kidnapping operations in the area.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspect reportedly became unconscious.
He was immediately evacuated to Nunku Primary Health Care Centre for medical attention, where he was confirmed dead by health officials.
Sources added that the remains of the deceased were released to his family for burial in accordance with local customs.
Security authorities said further assessment would continue in line with standard procedures, while operations against kidnapping networks in the area remain ongoing.
Suspected Kidnap Collaborator Dies in Custody After Arrest in Nasarawa
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
