Connect with us

Uncategorized

Jonathan Says StruggleJonathan Says Struggle for Power Remains Mai. cause of Conflicts in Africa

Published

on

Jonathan Says StruggleJonathan Says Struggle for Power Remains Mai. cause of Conflicts in Africa

By: Michael Mike

Former Nigeria’s President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has pointed out that the struggle for power remains the major cause of conflicts on the African continent.

Jonathan gave the remark on Tuesday at a a programme organized by the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) and partners in commemoration of the International Day of Peace in Abuja, where he was also as a Fellow of the Institute.

He became the second individual to be so honour after Gen. Yakubu Gowon (Rtd), Nigeria Head of State who oversee the reintegration of Nigeria after the Civil War, was given the same award last year

Speaking at the event, Jonathan said: “Actually, 10 top countries are in conflict globally. Three of them are in sub-Saharan Africa. And quite a number of countries around us, including us, are in one form of conflict or the other.

“And when you look at what causes conflict in Africa, most cases is struggle for leadership, contestation for power. And that is the main cause of conflict.

“Sometimes when you go through a society, and you can tell all kinds of stories. But by the time you do proper analysis, and dig deep, you know that most causes of conflict is leadership struggle. That is why I’m only worried about my country Nigeria.”

The former president, who chaired the programme, noted that the notion that politics is dirty is wrong, stressing that the players were responsible for the dirty state of politics in Nigeria and Africa in general.

He said: “People say politics is a dirty game. The way we play our politics is the way we want to play it.

“Remember (Olusegun) Obasanjo, the former president, recently made a statement that politics is not dirty but the people that play the politics, come to play politics with their dirty minds and dirty hearts. And dirty character.

“And that is why people say politics is dirty. And in that case, we must all begin to think differently. We must cultivate the culture of peace,” he added.

He said Nigerians and Africans in general must start developing a culture of peace, noting that peace should be part of their everyday life.

“Until we get to that level where we develop the culture of peace, in this country, we will always have political conflicts in our election.

“And without us strengthening that effort, without us developing that culture of testing a nation peacefully, we will always be in conflict in Africa and in Nigeria.”

The former president, who remains the only Nigerian president to hand over to opposition party after he was defeated at the polls, cited the recently conducted governorship election in Edo State, noting that there were more tension after the election than it was before the poll due to the feelings that some things were not done rightly.

He noted that technology would not solve the problem in Nigeria’s electoral process, decrying that technologies would be manipulated if the human mind is corrupt.

“Here in Nigeria, we talk about technology. Without the human mind ready to do what is right, if we bring the technology, they will manipulate it,” he said.

While delivering his lecture, Dr Samuel Iroye, the Head of Department of Peace and Conflict Studies at the National Open University of Nigeria, said all Nigerians need to play a part in the promotion of the culture of peace in the country.

Iroye, while stating that peace was not an ideology but a practical experience that could be felt called for the engagement of youths in developmental initiatives.

He said to achieve peace, there must be a level playing ground for everyone through education, stressing that the education curriculum in Nigeria doesn’t promote the culture of peace.

“To ensure a culture of peace, we must ensure that we have peace within ourselves”, he said, adding that no one could give what he doesn’t have.

Earlier, the Director General of (IPCR), Dr Joseph Ochogwu, said peace is an orphan, adding that people like to enjoy it but don’t want to invest in it.

While decrying the level of violence across the world, he charged Nigerians to start investing in the development of the culture of peace.

On why President Jonathan was picked for the award, Ochogwu said it was because of his ideology which promote peace above personal considerations, recalling the former President’s statement that nobody’s life is worth sacrificing for any personal political interest.
Ends for Power Remains Mai. cause of Conflicts in Africa

By: Michael Mike

Former Nigeria’s President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has pointed out that the struggle for power remains the major cause of conflicts on the African continent.

Jonathan gave the remark on Tuesday at a a programme organized by the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) and partners in commemoration of the International Day of Peace in Abuja, where he was also as a Fellow of the Institute.

He became the second individual to be so honour after Gen. Yakubu Gowon (Rtd), Nigeria Head of State who oversee the reintegration of Nigeria after the Civil War, was given the same award last year

Speaking at the event, Jonathan said: “Actually, 10 top countries are in conflict globally. Three of them are in sub-Saharan Africa. And quite a number of countries around us, including us, are in one form of conflict or the other.

“And when you look at what causes conflict in Africa, most cases is struggle for leadership, contestation for power. And that is the main cause of conflict.

“Sometimes when you go through a society, and you can tell all kinds of stories. But by the time you do proper analysis, and dig deep, you know that most causes of conflict is leadership struggle. That is why I’m only worried about my country Nigeria.”

The former president, who chaired the programme, noted that the notion that politics is dirty is wrong, stressing that the players were responsible for the dirty state of politics in Nigeria and Africa in general.

He said: “People say politics is a dirty game. The way we play our politics is the way we want to play it.

“Remember (Olusegun) Obasanjo, the former president, recently made a statement that politics is not dirty but the people that play the politics, come to play politics with their dirty minds and dirty hearts. And dirty character.

“And that is why people say politics is dirty. And in that case, we must all begin to think differently. We must cultivate the culture of peace,” he added.

He said Nigerians and Africans in general must start developing a culture of peace, noting that peace should be part of their everyday life.

“Until we get to that level where we develop the culture of peace, in this country, we will always have political conflicts in our election.

“And without us strengthening that effort, without us developing that culture of testing a nation peacefully, we will always be in conflict in Africa and in Nigeria.”

The former president, who remains the only Nigerian president to hand over to opposition party after he was defeated at the polls, cited the recently conducted governorship election in Edo State, noting that there were more tension after the election than it was before the poll due to the feelings that some things were not done rightly.

He noted that technology would not solve the problem in Nigeria’s electoral process, decrying that technologies would be manipulated if the human mind is corrupt.

“Here in Nigeria, we talk about technology. Without the human mind ready to do what is right, if we bring the technology, they will manipulate it,” he said.

While delivering his lecture, Dr Samuel Iroye, the Head of Department of Peace and Conflict Studies at the National Open University of Nigeria, said all Nigerians need to play a part in the promotion of the culture of peace in the country.

Iroye, while stating that peace was not an ideology but a practical experience that could be felt called for the engagement of youths in developmental initiatives.

He said to achieve peace, there must be a level playing ground for everyone through education, stressing that the education curriculum in Nigeria doesn’t promote the culture of peace.

“To ensure a culture of peace, we must ensure that we have peace within ourselves”, he said, adding that no one could give what he doesn’t have.

Earlier, the Director General of (IPCR), Dr Joseph Ochogwu, said peace is an orphan, adding that people like to enjoy it but don’t want to invest in it.

While decrying the level of violence across the world, he charged Nigerians to start investing in the development of the culture of peace.

On why President Jonathan was picked for the award, Ochogwu said it was because of his ideology which promote peace above personal considerations, recalling the former President’s statement that nobody’s life is worth sacrificing for any personal political interest.

Jonathan Says StruggleJonathan Says Struggle for Power Remains Mai. cause of Conflicts in Africa

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Teenager Killed, Another Injured in Fight Over Lady in Adamawa

Published

on

Teenager Killed, Another Injured in Fight Over Lady in Adamawa

A teenage boy has died while another is critically injured following a violent altercation over a lady during Eid-el-Fitr celebrations in Tasha Dinya Village, Fufore Local Government Area of Adamawa State.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident, which occurred around 4:30 a.m. on April 2, involved 18-year-old Idrisu Nuhu and his 16-year-old cousin, Ahmadu Lawali. According to the police, the two engaged in a fierce fight, attacking each other with machetes.

Idrisu sustained a deep cut on his head, while Ahmadu suffered a severe neck injury. Their relative, Nuhu Alhaji Muazu, rushed them to the Malabu Primary Health Care Clinic, where Idrisu was later confirmed dead by the attending doctor. Ahmadu remains in critical condition and is receiving treatment.

A Police sources said it recovered two cutlasses from the scene as exhibits, while the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) has been assigned to conduct a thorough investigation.

Teenager Killed, Another Injured in Fight Over Lady in Adamawa

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Teenager Stabbed to Death Over Girlfriend Dispute in Niger State

Published

on

Teenager Stabbed to Death Over Girlfriend Dispute in Niger State

By: Zagazola Makama

A violent altercation between two teenagers over a girlfriend has led to the death of one in Baburasa Village, Niger State.

Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that, a heated argument between 15-year-old Ragai Dike and 14-year-old Kefas Monday escalated when Sunday Baba, a 25-year-old friend of Kefas, intervened. In the midst of the confrontation, Sunday Baba drew a knife and fatally stabbed Ragai Dike in the chest.

The victim was immediately rushed to the General Hospital in New-Bussa for medical attention but was pronounced dead on arrival. The body was photographed and deposited at the hospital morgue for autopsy.

The suspects have been arrested by the Police.

Teenager Stabbed to Death Over Girlfriend Dispute in Niger State

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Security challenges contribute to increasing zero dose immunization prevalence in Borno state

Published

on

Security challenges contribute to increasing zero dose immunization prevalence in Borno state

By: Bodunrin Kayode

The Director of Public and Community Health in the Borno State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (BSPHDA) Dr Mala Abdulwahab has said that security challenges contribute to the high prevalence of zero dose.

Dr Mala regretted that a lot of the “zero-doses” of immunization being recorded in Borno state comes from the lingering level of insecurity plaguing the state adding that a reduction of the prevalence would take place only if these insecurity gaps are closed.

Dr Mala made these assertions during a review meeting of the Borno state annual score card for immunization accountability 2024 as put together by the Committee of Practice (COP) and the Africa Health Budget Network (AHBN) which held in maiduguri recently.

He said that the lingering insurgency in the state has definitely put a clog in the wheels of a lot of progress which should have been made in the reduction of the zero dose when it comes to immunization adding that it is the hope of the COP that this primary challenge would soon be a thing of the past.

Speaking on further challenges working against health workers during zero dose immunization, Dr Mala regretted that a lot of residents actually assume that because elites are expected to have some form of education, resistance or carelessness will not emanate from them or even core insiders in the medical profession.

Mala’s sadness on this issue stems from the fact that a large chunk of some medical personnel in Borno state are not helping to attack the rising prevalence of the zero dose cases in the state, because they equally take the campaign for granted depriving their kids from having the relevant vaccines as at when due.

The Director of public and community health revealed that Borno state contributes a whopping 60 percent of the measles prevalence in the country adding that something urgently must be done by health workers and educators to reverse this unsatisfactory trend within the sector.

The Director Community health posited that theses kids who are yet to start their regimes of the vaccines especially penta 1,2 and 3 are equally contributing to the embarrassing statistics being reeled out from within the system.

“There is really no reason why we must be having zero-dose cases up till now within this part of the country. It is very unfortunate that this preventable occurrences keep coming up in spite of our efforts.

“Some of the zero-does do come from the elites in the country while some are compromised by prevailing security challenges especially around the state capital areas and some other parts of the state too. But we must keep trying.

” Let me tell you how we used to handle difficult fulani people in the bush, we go with our veterinary doctors and by using the veterinarians they talk to the fulani people to fall in line in terms of taking the vaccines. They see their cattle getting better and their kids too.

” However, it is regrettable that some medical practitioners are not allowing their kids to be immunized against the six killer diseases. This should never be allowed to thrive within the on coming immunization campaigns.

“And this is why I am calling on all of us here to pay relevant visits to VIPs, stakeholders and influencers to ensure that the civil society, media and others are carried along to reduce zero-doses to the nearest minimum.

“For immunity to be maintained, we need to work on the 65 percent coverage of immunization in the state to something better. We must make better progress in the pending campaigns.

” I also urge that advocacies should be done in large numbers to ensure effectiveness. Community leaders will take you more serious when you go in large numbers to make your points heard” Said Mala.

The Director called on field representatives to make deliberate efforts to ensure they anchor their advocacies with the traditional rulers of each domain like the Shehu of Borno in the state capital to make the expected progress.

Also present in the review session, Peace Ambassador, Ahmed Shehu assured the round table of stakeholders that their convergence will close a lot of gaps on the entire vaccination architecture in the state.

He assured that activists like him will do their best to ensure that the zero-dose prevalence becomes a thing of the past as they forge ahead in the 2025 campaigns.

Also speaking, Dr Musa Melton, a senior field coordinator of the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) in Borno state noted that the exercise was meant to open the remaining vestiges of existing challenges caused by the zero dose and dealing with them decisively from the coming campaigns to be mounted by the community of practice (COP).

He however noted that the last review of actualities on ground was not all that gloomy because epidemiological statistics indicated that the number of zero-doses have actually reduced in the state and the entire country.

Melton commended Dr Aminu Magashi the founder of the Africa health network for bringing the vital budgetary issues to the fore adding that with the new push to bringing down the number of zero-doses in the state and the willingness of the state govt led by Prof Babagana Zulum to spend more on health, there is good news at the horizon.

Dr Melton stated that measles has however dropped drastically in the state and the entire country from last year’s statistics to this year’s adding that they will soon celebrate the end of the zero-dose prevalence as the campaigns intensifies.

UNICEF immunization officer and representative in the round table Bashir Elegbede frowned at dishonest immunization officers adding that inspectors will be in the field for the next campaign to hunt down such people and reduce such misbehaving practitioners contributing to the zero dose.

He warned that everyone will answer his or her fathers name this time around as business as usual will never be tolerated from anyone.

Present at the occasion were stake holders from within the state and some from outside like Dr Aminu Magashi who is the global convener of the community of practice (COP) on accountability and social action on health and a member of the global action plan for SDG 3 advocacy group.

A child in contemporary Nigeria is said to be out of the zero-dose prevalence when such a child had been subjected to BCG, OPV O, Hepatitis BO all at birth.

Within six weeks the same child should have taken Pentavalent 1, PCV 1, OPV1, IPV1, and ROTA 1 while at 10 weeks, Pentavalent 2, PCV2, OPV2 and ROTA 2.

At 14 weeks a child is expected to have taken Pentavalent 3, PVC 3, OPV 3, IPV2 and Rota 3.

At five months the malaria vaccine should be infused while at six months the vitamin A 1st dose even as the malaria vaccine is followed at seven months.

By nine months one’s baby should be done with measles first dose, yellow fever, Meningitis vaccine and vitamin A second dose even as the measles second dose and malaria vaccine are administered at 15 months.

Updated data received from the COP indicated that by 9 Years, children should be ready for the human Papilloma virus vaccine and that should make them good to go by world standards to avoid zero-doses.

This is the contemporary ideal and expectations for all children as laid down by the national primary health agency of Nigeria.

Security challenges contribute to increasing zero dose immunization prevalence in Borno state

Continue Reading

Trending

Verified by MonsterInsights