Crime
Naira Redesign: 3 Serving Governors Under EFCC’s Watch List For Stashing Billions Of Naira In Their Houses – Bawa

Naira Redesign: 3 Serving Governors Under EFCC’s Watch List For Stashing Billions Of Naira In Their Houses – Bawa
Three serving state governors are being monitored over their moves to launder stashed billions of naira through table payment of salaries to workers, Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Abdulrasheed Bawa said.
He said raid on Bureau De Change operators will be sustained, urging Nigerians to support the system, for the benefit of all.
In an exclusive interview with Daily Trust, the EFFCC chairman disclosed that some governors are all out devising means to launder money they stashed in houses. He said so far, they are closely monitoring three of them.
Bawa, who refused to disclose the identity of the three governors, however, said two of them are from the North, while the 3rd one is from the southern part of the country.
He said intelligence at the disposal of the commission, showed that the three governors have concluded plans to inject the money into the system through table payment of their state workers’ salaries.
“Let me tell you something, the Intel that I have yesterday and I would want you to take this thing very seriously. Already, some state governors that have some of this cash stashed in various houses and the rest are now trying to pay salaries in cash in their state,” he said.
Asked whether the commission would summon the governors, the EFCC chair said they are closely monitoring them.
He added that “I don’t know how they want to achieve that but we have to stop them from doing that. Well, we are working, they have not paid the salaries in cash yet but it is a very serious thing”, saying the move is against section 2 of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act.
“The law is very clear regarding cash transactions. Anybody that is to consummate any cash transaction as an individual, if it is not through a financial institution must not be above N5million and if it is above that it is criminal for you to engage in such transaction. And for corporate entities it is N10million.
“Yes, I agree the salaries are not up to that but why are you all of a sudden, and all along you have been paying people salaries through their bank accounts and now you want to pay them in cash, what are you trying to do? They will come under a lot of guises, they are trying to do verification of officers, that is what we have gotten,” he said.
The EFCC boss also confirmed the mad rush by some people to dispose of their stashed funds by buying property.
“We are aware of that. Even if you dispose of your property and you receive cash, for that cash to be of value to you after January 31, 2023, you have to take it to the bank; so what happened, are you coming to the bank with those millions? That is why we are working with the bankers and if you have this information let us know about it,” he said.
He said the raids of BDC operators would continue. This he said, is very important to protect the system against the laundering of stashed funds.
“They (BDCs) are very important in the sense that a lot of people that have this naira cash, will want to convert them to USD or other foreign currencies, that is why they are very important.
“And based on the known gullibility of these people (BDCs), they are willing to accept this cash from the owners of these monies and they are willing to depart with the foreign currencies that they have and so that is why they are very important and very critical to us in this project that we said to ourselves that we are going to do,” he said. When Bawa’s attention was drawn to the fact that the dollar was rising despite the EFCC raids, he said it is a function of demand and supply.
“The truth of the matter here is just a simple function of demand and supply, people are rushing this commodity not that they are going to use it for any meaningful business engagement but they are just rushing for it, just a store of value, that is what is happening.
“And what they say in economics is the higher the demand, the higher the price; so people are just seeing USD or other hard currencies just the way that they are seeing gold, to get it exchanged and store their value,” he said.
On why he met chief compliance officers of banks in Lagos recently, he said the parley was part of efforts to properly monitor the system and to seek their collaboration in respect of the likelihood of people bringing in their illegitimate funds back to the system.
“We knew a lot of people are hoarding these funds, it is with them and they will always find a way of trying to bring it back to the system.
“So, irrespective of what they use their cash for, whether they exchange it for dollars, whether they use it to purchase houses for those that are willing to accept cash, it has to eventually come back to the financial institution. So, irrespective of what you do, the banks are very important and critical in the sense that they are the end recipients of this cash.
“The owner of BDC must deposit the money he exchanged for the currency he did, the owner of real estate must also do the same and all of that. So, we sat down, we deliberated and we agreed on what to do. Everybody is happy about it,” he said.
He, however, urged Nigerians to be calm, saying “this (naira redesign) is just a routine thing that ordinarily CBN ought to have done after every eight years, the monies are going to be taken.
“All that the government is saying is come and deposit the money at no cost to you; that is just what is happening, nothing more than that. “How can you have an economy where you have 85 per cent of your currency out there when you are calling for a cashless society when we have a lot of means by which people can consummate their transactions? What are you hiding? These days, people hardly go to the banks, you can transfer your money here using your app, and you can transfer your money through ATM, POS, and all of that, so why keep the money? Why are you scared of going to the bank to say that you want to deposit your money? He queried.
Naira Redesign: 3 Serving Governors Under EFCC’s Watch List For Stashing Billions Of Naira In Their Houses – Bawa
Crime
Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa

Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa
By: Zagazola Makama
The Adamawa State Police Command has arrested six suspects following a clash between farmers and herders in Waduku, Lamurde Local Government Area, which resulted in injuries to a villager and 11 cattle.
Sources told Zagazola Makama that the incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. on April 2 when some herders allegedly trespassed into a rice farm and caused damage to the crops.
In retaliation, angry youths from the village attacked the herders, injuring their cattle and wounding one person identified as Righteous Boti from Nzumoso Village.
Security personnel visited the scene and held an emergency meeting with local stakeholders to prevent further escalation of violence.
The arrested suspects include Rabo Buba, 31; Ahmadu Adamu, 20; Stephen Pwagwadi, 17; Shadrach Simon, 19; Lot Gad, 20; and Righteous Boti, 27.
The injured individuals received treatment at the Tingno Primary Health Care Clinic and have since been discharged.
Six Arrested as Farmers, Herders Clash in Adamawa
Crime
15 Arrested as Clash Between Nomadic Fulani and Hausa Community Leads to Fatality in Zamfara

15 Arrested as Clash Between Nomadic Fulani and Hausa Community Leads to Fatality in Zamfara
By: Zagazola Makama
A deadly clash broke out between members of the nomadic Fulani and Hausa communities at Dan Sokoto Model Primary School in Bungudu Township, Zamfara State, during the celebration of Eid-El-Fitr on April 1, 2025.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makama that the altercation resulted in the death of 17-year-old Abbas Sani, a resident of Kuga Village.
He was found in a pool of blood and was rushed to General Hospital Bungudu, where he was confirmed dead by medical personnel. The body was subsequently deposited at the hospital morgue.
In response to the incident, security forces launched an intensive raid in the area, leading to the arrest of 15 suspects.
15 Arrested as Clash Between Nomadic Fulani and Hausa Community Leads to Fatality in Zamfara
Crime
Two Soldiers Attacked by Gunmen in Kaduna

Two Soldiers Attacked by Gunmen in Kaduna
By: Zagazola Makama
Two soldiers from the 312 Battalion Kalapanzi Barracks in Kaduna were attacked by armed assailants on April 2, 2025, at Babar Saura around 4:41 PM.
Intelligence sources told Zagazola Makaka that three attackers, armed with sophisticated weapons, shot the soldiers, leaving one, Corporal James (surname unknown), dead, and Private Ibrahim Bazalla injured. The assailants stole two AK-47 rifles from the soldiers before fleeing the scene.
The victims were rushed to the 44 Army Reference Hospital, where Corporal James was confirmed dead, while Private Bazalla is receiving medical treatment for his injuries.
Following a coordinated operation by the military, police and vigilante groups, the assailants were tracked to Degel2, Kaduna, where they abandoned a silver Toyota Corolla. As they attempted to escape, the attackers snatched a white Toyota Venza from a civilian, Abdullahi Mohammed, of Badarawa, Kaduna.
Efforts to arrest the suspects and recover the stolen vehicle are ongoing.
Two Soldiers Attacked by Gunmen in Kaduna
-
News1 year ago
Roger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions3 years ago
THE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year ago
EYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions3 years ago
POLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
Columns1 year ago
Army University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
ACADEMICS1 year ago
A History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Opinions1 year ago
Tinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
-
Politics8 months ago
Kashim Shettima: Of Sentiments, Their Opinions, and the 21 billion Naira VP’s Official Resident