Uncategorized
NAPTIP Since Inception Has Rescued 23,900 Victims of Human Trafficking, Gotten 692 Convictions- Binta Bello
NAPTIP Since Inception Has Rescued 23,900 Victims of Human Trafficking, Gotten 692 Convictions- Binta Bello
By: Michael Mike
The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has been able to rescue 23,900 victims of human trafficking and gotten 692 convictions since its inception, its Director General, Hajiya Binta Bello has said.
Speaking on Wednesday at the High-Level Policy Dialogue 2024 on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence as part of the activities marking the 2024, 16 Days of Activism against Gender Based Violence themed: “Unite to end violence against women and girls,” the DG said NAPTIP has achieved significant milestones in the fight against gender-based violence in Nigeria.
She noted that such milestones include the rescue of victims from human trafficking, stating that: “So far, NAPTIP has rescued 23,900 victims of human trafficking, which includes 90% women.”

She added that shelters and safe spaces have been created, stressing that the agency has established 92 offices and 40 shelters across Nigeria and the federal capital territory to provide safe homes for victims.
Bello said NAPTIP has secured 692 convictions for traffickers and 37 for perpetrators of GBV, noting that the agency
conducts regular training programmes for law enforcement agencies, stakeholders, and the public to raise awareness and improve response to GBV.
She equally stated that the agency continuously engage in public awareness campaign, which is aimed at informing, educating and mobilizing communities against the menace of GBV and human trafficking.
Bello said the agency also collaborates with international organizations, NGOs, and other stakeholders to amplify its efforts and reach a wider audience, adding that: “NAPTIP has also developed and implemented national action plans to combat human trafficking and GBV, ensuring a coordinated and effective response. The agency advocates for stronger policies and legal framework to protect victims and persuade offenders.
She noted that: “These achievements highlight NAPTIP’s unwavering commitment to creating a safer and more equitable society, especially for women and girls in Nigeria and beyond. These efforts have not only provided immediate support to victims, but also contributed to long-term systemic changes to prevent this problem. These examples provide us an invaluable platform to assess our strategies, foster collaboration, and ensure that policies are effectively implemented and monitored.
“It is an opportunity to amplify the voices of survivors, engage policymakers, and inspire every stakeholder to act decisively. We cannot do it alone. We need every hand on deck to move our shared vision into reality.”

The DG appealed that: “As we deliberate today, I would like to profess to you our close collaboration in several key areas to enhance our efforts. Capacity building, providing NAPTIP operators with training on best practices for fighting GBV, to ensure they are equipped with the latest knowledge and skills, Expansion of our shelters, expanding NAPTIP shelters across Nigeria to provide safe havens for war victims. These shelters, if expanded, shall include both closed and open shelters as well, to absorb best practices.
“Empowerment programme. Initiatives to empower victims of this menace through vocational training and economic opportunities and psychosocial support. Let us focus on actionable steps to break the cycle of violence.
“Let us ensure that survivors receive the justice and support they deserve. Let us, as a united front, challenge the social norms and structure that perpetuate violence.”
She insisted that: “Together we can make significant progress in the fight against gender-based violence and build a safer, more equitable society for women and girls.”
Also speaking at the event, the President of the Defence and Police Officers Wives Association (DEPOWA), Mrs. Oghogho Gwabin said: “This event is apt and well-tailored to commemorate the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence. This year’s theme, “Towards Beijing 30+: Unite to End Violence Against Women and Girls,” is a timely and urgent call to action, one that resonates deeply with all of us as we collectively strive for a world free from violence, where women and girls can live with dignity, equality, and respect.”
She noted that: “Undoubtedly, violence against women and girls remains a pervasive global challenge, but we must remain steadfast in our commitment to addressing and eradicating this violation of human rights. As we reflect on the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, which is being said to be the most comprehensive and transformative global agenda for the empowerment of women and girls, it is evident that much progress has been made.”
She added that: “However, as we mark this significant milestone, we are also reminded that there is still much work to be done. As such, I am pleased to be in this space with like minds who are focused on women empowerment and resolute to combat GBV.”
She stated that: “The collaboration of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) and the Rule of Law and Anti-Corruption (ROLAC) programme is vital in amplifying the message that we must unite to end violence against women and girls. Through joint efforts, we can build stronger systems of support, develop precautionary strategies, and foster a society that values and protects the rights of all individuals, especially women and girls.”
In his part, the Deputy Country Representative of United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Danilo Campisi
said a vote to end violence against women and girls is a clarion call for all. “We cannot afford to stand still. We need action, not words, resources, not empty promises. Every 10 minutes, a woman is killed. For many women home, a place that should be a sanctuary, becomes a site of unimaginable harm. In 2023 over 60% of women and girls who were killed were killed by intimate partners or family members. These staggering statistics provided by unlc and UN Women remind us why we must unite to address the epidemic of violence against women and girls.”
He said: “UNODC has been at the forefront of combating gender-based violence and advancing justice for victims. Through tools such as the Feminicide Brief and other resources for criminal justice practitioners, we work to analyze these heinous crimes and identify critical gaps in prevention, response, and accountability. Here in Nigeria, the Third Corruption Survey, which was presented in July 2004, provides valuable insight into how corruption perpetuates gender inequalities and exposes women to hate and vulnerability.”
He added that: “Women’s limited access to public roles and decision-making positions not only undermines equality but also fuels structural violence. This, in turn, reminds us that gender-based violence and corruption are deeply interconnected challenges that require coordinated responses.”
Since 2015, when NAPTIP was given the mandate to enforce the BAP Act in FCT, we have remained steadfast in our commitment to ensuring that no woman or girl is left behind in the fight to unite free from violence. As a nation, we have made commendable strides in policy formulation, legislation, and activism. But we must acknowledge that much remains to be done to eradicate this menace.
NAPTIP Since Inception Has Rescued 23,900 Victims of Human Trafficking, Gotten 692 Convictions- Binta Bello
Uncategorized
NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine, Opioids Hidden in Carton Walls Bound for UK, Australia
NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine, Opioids Hidden in Carton Walls Bound for UK, Australia
By: Michael Mike
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has intercepted consignments of cocaine and opioids concealed in carton walls and destined for the United Kingdom and Australia, as the agency intensified its nationwide crackdown on drug trafficking and abuse.
The seizures were made by NDLEA operatives at a courier company in Lagos on Friday during the examination of export shipments. According to the agency, 170 grammes of cocaine carefully sealed in cellophane parcels were discovered hidden within the walls of a carton containing clothes bound for Australia.
In another shipment heading to the United Kingdom, the spokesman of the anti-narcotics agency, Femi Babafemi in a statement on Sunday, said officers uncovered a cache of opioids, including 200 ampoules of pentazocine injection, 1,100 capsules of tramadol, and 100 ampoules of promethazine injection concealed in a carton.

The anti-narcotics agency also recorded major breakthroughs in Delta State, where operatives raided forests and cannabis farms in separate operations supported by military personnel.
At Ejeonu village in Ukwuani Local Government Area, NDLEA officers destroyed 27,500 kilogrammes of skunk cultivated on 11 hectares of farmland and recovered an additional 22.9 kilogrammes of the substance. A suspect, 52-year-old Ifeanyichukwu Peter, was later arrested during a follow-up operation in Obiaruku.
Similarly, operatives raided Orogun village in Ughelli North Local Government Area, destroying another 37,500 kilogrammes of skunk grown on 15 hectares of farmland while recovering 55.4 kilogramsmes of the illicit drug. Thirty-year-old Godwin Vincent Osadera was arrested in connection with the operation.
The agency said the two operations resulted in the destruction of a total of 65,000 kilogrammes of skunk.
In Kaduna State, NDLEA operatives arrested 42-year-old Husaini Suleiman after recovering 361 kilogrammes of skunk during a raid at Dan Magaji area of Zaria town.
In a separate operation along the Abuja-Kaduna highway, officers intercepted 1,989 rounds of RLA 7.62mm ammunition concealed inside sacks of fresh cassava granules, popularly known as garri. The suspect, identified as 35-year-old Abdullahi Hassan, was apprehended while transporting the ammunition. NDLEA said both the suspect and the recovered ammunition had been transferred to another security agency for further investigation.

In the Federal Capital Territory, operatives arrested a 29-year-old businessman, Ogadi Peter, alleged to specialize in producing drug-laced cakes and cookies for parties and social gatherings.
The suspect was arrested at his residence in the Life Camp area of Abuja following intelligence reports. Officers recovered 800 grammes of skunk and 2.7 kilogrammes of drug-infused cookies from the premises.
Elsewhere, NDLEA operatives in Ogun State recovered 181 kilogrammes of skunk from a suspect, Aliyu Sani, during a raid in the Ogere area.
In Taraba State, 27-year-old Sufiyanu Mohammed Misa was arrested along the Zaki-Biam road in Wukari Local Government Area with 105,850 pills of opioids, including tramadol, diazepam, and exol-5.
Two suspects, Adeleke Aliyah, 20, and Aloba Abdulazeez, 25, were also arrested in Saki town, Oyo State, in connection with the seizure of 99 litres of skuchies, a cocktail of illicit substances.
In Edo State, NDLEA officers destroyed 1,388.4175 kilogrammes of skunk on two farms during a raid on Ago forest in Orhionmwon Local Government Area.
In Kano State, operatives recovered 1.2 kilogrammes of tramaking 225mg pills concealed in a 25-litre jerry can of palm oil at Kofar Ruwa motor park. Another suspect, Aminu Isa, was arrested with 30.5 kilogrammes of skunk at Sabuwar Sharada area of the state.
Beyond enforcement operations, the agency said its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization campaign continued across the country with awareness lectures delivered in schools in Oyo, Niger, Lagos, Katsina, Ekiti, and Kano states.
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Buba Marwa, commended officers of the agency’s commands in Delta, Kaduna, Oyo, Taraba, Kano, the FCT, and Edo states for the successful operations.
He assured that the agency remained committed to sustaining a balance between reducing drug supply and intensifying drug demand reduction campaigns nationwide.
NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine, Opioids Hidden in Carton Walls Bound for UK, Australia
Uncategorized
PAIMUN President Calls for Urgent Action to Bridge Digital Divide in Education
PAIMUN President Calls for Urgent Action to Bridge Digital Divide in Education
By: Michael Mike
The Presdent of the General Assembly of the Premiere Academy International Model United Nations (PAIMUN) 2026, H.E. Timilehin Adewuyi, has called on governments, international organisations and private institutions to intensify efforts toward bridging the digital divide and expanding access to technology-driven education across the world.p

Speaking during the second session of the PAIMUN General Assembly held at the United Nations House in Abuja, Adewuyi described digital transformation in education as a critical tool for achieving sustainable development and preparing future generations for global leadership.
Addressing delegates, diplomats and education stakeholders, the PAIMUN President said the world has entered an era where education can no longer remain dependent on traditional methods, stressing that technology has become central to building inclusive, innovative and sustainable societies.
“It is my profound privilege, as President of the General Assembly, to address this august gathering on the topic: ‘Digital Transformation of the Educational Sector as a Driver of Sustainable Development,’” he stated.

According to him, digital innovation has fundamentally changed the way knowledge is accessed, shared and applied globally, opening new opportunities for students to learn beyond geographical and economic limitations.
He noted that digital classrooms, virtual libraries, artificial intelligence and online learning platforms are equipping young people with critical 21st-century skills such as creativity, collaboration, problem-solving and digital literacy.
Adewuyi stressed that these skills are essential for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and positioning young people to compete effectively in the global economy.
Despite the growing opportunities presented by technology, the PAIMUN President warned that millions of students, particularly in developing countries, still face severe barriers due to poor internet connectivity, lack of electricity and inadequate access to digital devices.
He said sustainable development would remain unattainable if educational opportunities continue to be unequal across regions and social groups.
“Governments, international organizations, and private institutions must work collectively to bridge the digital divide and ensure that no learner is left behind in this technological revolution,” he said.
Adewuyi further described digital education as more than an innovation, calling it a strategic investment in humanity’s future.
He urged delegates at the conference to remain committed to policies that promote responsible and inclusive technology adoption in education systems worldwide.
“By embracing technology responsibly and inclusively, we empower the next generation to drive economic growth, social progress and environmental sustainability,” he added.
The PAIMUN conference, hosted by Premiere Academy, brought together student delegates simulating the United Nations General Assembly to debate global issues and propose solutions through diplomacy, dialogue and policy engagement.
The event focused extensively on how digital transformation can strengthen education systems, reduce inequalities and accelerate sustainable development across nations.
PAIMUN President Calls for Urgent Action to Bridge Digital Divide in Education
Uncategorized
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists in Night Ambush Operation in Borno
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists in Night Ambush Operation in Borno
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force North-East, Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have neutralised two suspected terrorists during a night ambush operation in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State.
Security sources said the operation, conducted under Operation Desert Sanity/Siege Operations, took place at about 11:05 p.m. on May 13, 2026, at Bazamri village, a location identified as a major crossing point for members of the ISWAP.

According to the sources, troops laying ambush at the location intercepted and engaged the terrorists in a firefight, resulting in the neutralisation of two insurgents.
Following the encounter, troops carried out exploitation of the area and recovered several items suspected to be logistics supplies for the terrorists.
Recovered items included 54 packs of 80-gram detergent, 32 packs of 500-gram salt and one carton of spaghetti.
Military authorities confirmed that no casualty was recorded among the troops during the operation.
The ambush team was said to have subsequently changed position and continued surveillance and waiting operations in the area as part of sustained offensive actions against terrorist movements.
Security sources added that troops’ morale and fighting efficiency remained satisfactory, while offensive operations across the theatre continued.
Troops Neutralise Two Terrorists in Night Ambush Operation in Borno
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
