News
NEMA unveil Service Charter for efficient Service delivery
NEMA unveil Service Charter for efficient Service delivery
By: Michael Mike
The Director General National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Mustapha Habib Ahmed has unveiled the Agency’s Service Charter in line with SERVICOM to entrench efficiency and accountability in delivery of its mandates.
The DG NEMA was joined by the National Coordinator of SERVICOM, Mrs. Nnenna Akajemeli in unveiling the Service Charter in Abuja on Tuesday.
In his remarks, the DG NEMA Mustapha Habib Ahmed described the event as “significant milestone for NEMA and disaster management in Nigeria, as it signify our commitment to providing excellent services to people that are vulnerable and persons affected by disasters.”
He said “I am proud to say that we have always strived hard to deliver the highest Standard of service. However, we believe that there is always room for improvement. We understand that our customers (people in distress) deserve the best, and it is our duty to ensure that their needs are met efficiently and effectively within the period they need support.”
“NEMA as an Agency responsible for managing emergency and disaster in Nigeria, play critical role in safeguarding the lives and well-being of our citizens. We recognize that in times of crisis and during sudden onset emergencies, the public rely on us for support, guidance, and assistance. It is therefore our duty to ensure that our services are delivered with utmost dedication, competence, and compassion.”
He highlighted some facts about the NEMA SERVICOM Charter that it “outlines our commitment to
providing timely and accurate information, responding promptly to emergencies, treating all individuals with respect and dignity. It also emphasizes the importance of continuous improvement, as we Strive to enhance our capabilities and strengthen our partnerships to better serve the public. It is on record that in normal times, we help build the resilience of the people, in times of disasters we support them with life saving interventions.”
Furthermore, he added that the Charter emphasizes the importance of customer feedback and engagement.
“We value the opinions and experiences of our customers, as they provide us invaluable insights on how to improve and make better our service delivery. Through regular surveys, feedback mechanisms and customer interactions, we shall actively seek inputs from our customers to continuously improve our service delivery,” he said.
The DG NEMA underscored the significance of learning and capacity development to achieve the service Charter. Thus, he said “we recognize that service excellence requires a dedicated and knowledgeable workforce. Therefore, we are committed to providing our employees with the necessary training and resources to enhance their skills and expertise.”
He also affirmed the unveiling of the charter as a significant step towards achieving our goal
of providing exceptional service, noting that “it is a proof to our commitment to transparency, accountability, and continuous – improvement. With the SERVICOM Charter as our guide, we are confident that we will not only meet but exceed the expectations.”
He recognized and appreciated the supports from the SERVICOM Office towards the unveiling of the NEMA’s Service Charter.
In her remarks, the National Coordinator/CEO SERVICOM Mrs Nnenna Akajemeli commended NEMA for the bold step taken in the unveiling of the service charter. Mrs Akajemeli who was represented by the Head of Operations at the SERVICOM Office Mrs Ngozi Akinbodewa said NEMA must strive to meet public expectations from its services, while noting that the Agency has taken the right steps to justify public confidence in the delivery of its mandates.
Earlier in her welcome address, the Director Special Duties NEMA Hajiya Fatima Kasim commended that DG NEMA for approving the unveiling of the service charter that will make the Agency and its services more accessible, transparent and accountable to the public.
NEMA unveil Service Charter for efficient Service delivery
News
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 6, Operation Enduring Peace have recovered a suspected stolen motorcycle following a pursuit of suspected motorcycle snatchers in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on May 21 along the Bachi-Banghai road after troops received reports on the activities of suspected motorcycle snatchers in the area.
The sources said the troops immediately mobilised and pursued the suspects, who abandoned the motorcycle and fled upon sighting the security personnel.
According to the sources, the recovered motorcycle has been secured, while efforts were ongoing to identify the rightful owner and apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The military said the operation formed part of sustained efforts to combat criminal activities and enhance security across Plateau.
Troops recover suspected stolen motorcycle in Plateau
News
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
By: Zagazola Makama
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace have launched a rescue operation following the abduction of a resident in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.
Security sources disclosed that the incident occurred at about 11:00 p.m. on May 21 when gunmen reportedly abducted Mr Eze Emeka from his residence at Agingi village.
The sources said troops swiftly responded to the distress report and commenced rescue operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
According to the sources, efforts were ongoing to track down the kidnappers and secure the safe release of the victim.
The military assured residents that security forces were intensifying operations to curb criminal activities in the area.
Troops launch rescue operation after abduction in Plateau
News
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
By: Zagazola Makama
The reported deadly attack on a Nigerien Army engineering unit near Garbougna in the Tillaberi Region marks a significant escalation in the evolving security dynamics of western Niger and the wider Sahel.
With an estimated 67 soldiers and civilians reportedly killed and a military camp destroyed, the incident underscores both the intensity and increasing sophistication of militant operations in the region.
Beyond the immediate casualties, the attack is notable for its attribution to Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), which swiftly claimed responsibility. Tillaberi have long been considered a stronghold of Islamic State in the Sahel (IS Sahel), suggesting a possible shift in operational influence or encroachment into contested territory.
The incident reflects an emerging pattern of geographic diffusion of jihadist violence across the Tera–Niamey corridor, an axis that has repeatedly come under pressure from armed groups. The corridor connects several vulnerable departments, including Tera, Torodi, Say and Ayorou, all of which have experienced repeated attacks in recent years.
The Garbougna attack also fits into a broader sequence of high-casualty operations across Niger since early 2026, including reported strikes near Niamey airport in January and Makalondi in February. These incidents collectively indicate sustained pressure on Nigerien security forces and an expanding operational reach of armed groups closer to strategic population centres.
Of particular concern is the apparent intensification of competition between IS Sahel and JNIM. While both groups have historically operated in overlapping zones, recent claims of responsibility and counter-claims suggest a more overt struggle for influence, recruitment, and territorial control. The reported clash between the two factions near Petel Kole earlier in the year further supports this assessment.
The implications of this rivalry are significant. Rather than reducing violence through competition, the fragmentation of jihadist groups in the Sahel has in some cases resulted in increased attacks, as factions seek to demonstrate operational strength and legitimacy.
At the same time, the weakening of state presence in rural and border communities is compounding the crisis. Reports of closed schools, non-functional health facilities, and inactive markets point to a gradual erosion of governance structures in affected areas. This vacuum continues to facilitate militant mobility and recruitment.
Another critical dimension is the increasing use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which has reportedly hindered post-attack clearance operations in the Garbougna area. Such tactics not only slow military response but also expand the risk zone for civilians and security forces alike.
Strategically, Tillaberi remains the epicentre of Niger’s insecurity challenges, given its proximity to the Mali and Burkina Faso border regions. The corridor’s proximity to Niamey raises additional concerns, particularly regarding potential spillover effects into the capital’s security perimeter.
The Garbougna attack, therefore, illustrates a convergence of three destabilising trends: escalating casualty levels, intensified jihadist competition, and shrinking state control in border regions. Taken together, these dynamics suggest a deteriorating security outlook for western Niger, with implications that extend beyond national boundaries into the wider Sahel security architecture.
JNIM attack in Tillaberi signals deepening jihadist rivalry and expanding Sahel instability
-
News2 years agoRoger Federer’s Shock as DNA Results Reveal Myla and Charlene Are Not His Biological Children
-
Opinions4 years agoTHE PLIGHT OF FARIDA
-
News1 year agoFAILED COUP IN BURKINA FASO: HOW TRAORÉ NARROWLY ESCAPED ASSASSINATION PLOT AMID FOREIGN INTERFERENCE CLAIMS
-
News2 years agoEYN: Rev. Billi, Distortion of History, and The Living Tamarind Tree
-
Opinions4 years agoPOLICE CHARGE ROOMS, A MINTING PRESS
-
ACADEMICS2 years agoA History of Biu” (2015) and The Lingering Bura-Pabir Question (1)
-
Columns2 years agoArmy University Biu: There is certain interest, but certainly not from Borno.
-
Opinions2 years agoTinubu,Shettima: The epidemic of economic, insecurity in Nigeria
